Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Abyss Gazes Also

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

zico10 wrote: »
    Intriguing post script.

Ah, you haven't been reading logs as long as some of us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

griffin100 wrote: »
    Ah, you haven't been reading logs as long as some of us ;)

I know who it's addressed to. And maybe Carol is dropping in incognito, but she hasn't been active here since 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

zico10 wrote: »
    Intriguing post script.

No idea if she reads these logs anymore Zico, just laying out a line (to keep the theme fish-ish)

Tue 20min Fastlane; 30min treadmill
    Swim:
    5min steady
    10*100 progressive

Run: 30min @ 10kph

Nothing much to report today, I was low on energy so kept everything easy pace. Fingers crossed tomorrow will be more fruitful.

Valentia Sprint has been moved to 4th July... if any events are allowed go ahead, small remote ones like this are most likely. In any case its a specific goal to work towards.

Wed 30min Fastlane; 60min S&C circuits, 30min run

Swim:
    5min steady
    5min kick
    5min pb
    5min swim
    5min pb faster
    5min swim faster

Circuits:
    4*{
    1km run easy
    1min plank
    1min Russian twist
    1 min scorpian
    1 min deep squat to over head press
    1 min overhead forward lunge
    1 min bulgarian split squat
    }

Run:
    2km easy
    3km fast
    balance jog

The fast km's started ok but legs quickly complained they had just come from an hour of S&C

• Advertisement

Thurs 20mon Fastlane; 30min treadmill

Swim:
    5min steady
    10*100 pb descending

Run:
    30min hillwork

I was all set to start this 60-min session when the phone went; a 94-year old client in the States takes precedence. Cue a couple of hours phoning very unhelpful US banks, then dinner, then dragged my tired ass onto the treadmill where the 8% broke me. Cut the session after 30mins.

Fri 40min easy turbo, 20min Fastlane

I was mad as hell all day, a combination of poor sleep this week and general work stress. Exercise can be a great release and helps you focus on what really matters, and thankfully any anger washed away in the water.

Sat 20min Fastlane; 2hr LSR

Swim:
    5min steady
    10*100 pb progressive

Run:
    Just went for a long run, lots of doglegs within my 2km boundary, didn't push the pace at any time and extended it to a 2hr run because that felt like the right thing to do. A very good run for the mind.

Sun 20min Fastlane

I've been very lucky putting together a nice swim streak over the past few weeks. Today while in the pool my thoughts were to extend each days time in the water... afterwards I glanced at next weeks schedule and was happy to see 60mins Fastlane down for Monday...

... and then I read most of it was kicking. My coach is a sadist.

Mon 20th 3,000m swim

10min EZ
    10*(1min hard, 1min EZ) kick w fins
    10min EZ
    5*(2min hard, 2min EZ) swim, focus on strong kick

Be careful what you wish for... I had hoped to extend these Fastlane sessions and sure enough there was a 60min scheduled for today. The amount of kicking involved wasn't especially welcome though.

Got through the first kicking part (I could keep the current at the same pace and change the resistance by angling my kick board), and sure enough the kick "memory" helped with strong legs for the remainder.

• Advertisement

Tue 20min swim

I had a lot more scheduled today but only managed the swim... I'm wrecked and maybe slept 2 hours last night. Thats a recurring issue the past month; what I wouldn't give for a solid 8 hour sleep right now...

Wed 35min swim; 60min run/strength circuits; 30min easy run

Well I didn't quite manage a full 8 hours, but had a better kip last night. Felt good for the swim, did a set of 20*100m descending pace, and the kick session from Monday is still paying dividends. Later the S&C session was done outside in the sunshine, and rounded off the day with an easy pace run. That's better.

Thurs 20min swim; 60min treadmill

Swim:
    5min steady
    10*100 pb progressive

Run:
    15 mins easy .. incline 1-2%
    6 x {
    3 mins at PE 6/10 ... incline 2%
    2 mins at PE 8/10 ... incline 8%
    }
    5 mins easy .. incline 2%
    10 mins building in speed every 2 mins.. incline at 2%

I found this very tough, counting down the seconds from early in the 2min reps. Visually I imagined running up the hill in Valentia sprint, which I very much hope goes ahead (if the Government can move 100+ asylum seekers from Dublin into close quarters in Cahirsiveen, they can surely allow a similar number compete outdoors a stones throw away). The final 10 mins were a good exercise in running fast on tired legs.

Fri 20min Fastlane; 40min turbo

Swim:
    20min steady

Bike:
    10min EZ
    5*(30s PE10, 1:30 EZ)
    5*(60s build to PE 10, 2min EZ)
    5min cooldown

Sat 35min Fastlane; 5.5k run

Swim:
    5min steady
    100, 200, 300 400, 400, 300, 200, 100; pb steady pace (5s rest)

Run:
    Boards 5k TT (DNF)

The sweat-licking yard-tallyers over on the Running forum organised a virtual 5k race today. I had a diabolical nights sleep and knew this would be a disaster, but even so I'm glad I got out to try it. DNF unfortunately... its been a long time since I started a running race without preceding it with a swim and bike, and that initial over-eagerness (coupled with a downhill start) blew my 4:12/km pacing to smithereens. First km came in 3:43, and the damage was done. I made it to halfway point in 9:37 and threw in the towel. Pleased enough with what I got from the attempt though; I'll try a proper (refreshed) 5k again soon enough.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 20th April|60 min Fastlane|Kick focused session
    Tue|20min Fastlane|
    Wed|35min Fastlane; 60min S&C; 34min easy run|
    Thurs|20min Fastlane; 60min treadmill hills|Very tough session
    Fri|20min Fastlane; 40min turbo| Main 5*(1min hard, 2min EZ)
    Sat|35min Fastlane; 35min run| including 2.5k fast
    Sun|20min Fastlane; 63mins turbo|Main 4*(10min build to 330W, 2min EZ)

Not a bad week, although I missed one bike session and a couple of S&C. Consistency in the pool is paying off, and the plan is to start dialling up the length of those sessions this week. I didn't manage to do the whole 5k TT but was happy to be running fast again for a couple of km, and hopefully I'll give it another crack this coming weekend.

Mon 35min fastlane; 30min easy run

Swim:
    5min steady
    10*200m pb

Run:
    5.5k easy

The swim went well- I'm totally appreciative of how lucky I am to have this facility and will extend that luck over the next few weeks. Everyone else; keep the faith, the OW will open again soon.

Run:
    to be honest my breathing was crap for this easy run and of course I'm thinking the worst as is everyone else on tenterhooks (but most likely to be pollen related)

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 27th April|35 min Fastlanel; 30min easy run|10*200 pb progressive
    Tue|35min Fastlane; 35min treadmill hills|20*100 pb progressive; 10*40s fast @8%, 40s slow
    Wed|20min Fastlane; 64min turbo|Main; 4*(10 mins 290WT, 2 mins recovery)
    Thurs|20min Fastlane; 33min treadmill hills|Main: 3*(3min 15kph 2%, 3min EZ)
    Fri|35min Fastlane| 100, 200, 300, 400, 400, 300, 200, 100
    Sat|20min Fastlane; 80min run| First time back in the hills in an age
    Sun|20min Fastlane; very easy run|

The pool continues to be the best discipline, I'm really going to have to up motivation on bike and run. Having a wider radius brings in quite a few hills for me, so I'm looking forward to getting onto the trails again.

Overall motivation took a knock with the publication of the lockdown exit strategy. Swim Ireland cancelled all OW races until Aug earliest, and I expect TI to follow suit. Not looking good for racing at all this season, its a long time to go without any goals. Still, I guess we're as well off training towards the delusion there may be races, training/fitness/health will be important to help get through this crisis and out the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Overall motivation took a knock with the publication of the lockdown exit strategy. Swim Ireland cancelled all OW races until Aug earliest, and I expect TI to follow suit. Not looking good for racing at all this season, its a long time to go without any goals. Still, I guess we're as well off training towards the delusion there may be races, training/fitness/health will be important to help get through this crisis and out the other side.

My goal is to out train the weight gain I'm experiencing due to the constant grazing at home and the more than usual volumes of alcohol being consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Sounds like you need to re evaluate the way you set goals

Too much goal focused too little process focused
    You can set so many goals regardless there is races or not. .

A few weeks you said that swim in the open water made you smile that's the right process

Especially given how fortunate you are that you can swim it should give you so much gratitude

Peter I posted a reply, and then deleted it. I was explaining, and when one is explaining, one is losing. Your input (all input) is graciously considered and appreciated, and in the same spirit I hope you accept this better response:

"A missionary of the Middle Ages tells that he had found the point where the sky and the Earth touch..."

I'll probably delete it again tomorrow but for the moment it seems right.

Mon 45min Fastlane; 40min turbo
    A lot of kicking in this swim set, much needed and the key to any future gains. One of the benefits of the Fastlane current is being able to hold a kick board and angle it for resistance. The set finished with some straight swimming and indeed straight away I could feel benefit from the legs.

Later a short snappy turbo.

Tue 20min Fastlane; 33min treadmill
    One of the reasons I justified the initial expense of the Fastlane is that I work from home. The ability to walk from the office, do a 20min swim set, and be back on the phone to a client in a total 23mins is invaluable at the moment.

Treadmill run later (similar reasoning as I am busy in the office these days) with some short fast intervals, faster than the same ones from last week so that's measurable progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

The ability to walk from the office, do a 20min swim set, and be back on the phone to a client in a total 23mins is invaluable at the moment.

Do your clients know that you speak to them naked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Peter I posted a reply, and then deleted it. I was explaining, and when one is explaining, one is losing. Your input (all input) is graciously considered and appreciated, and in the same spirit I hope you accept this better response:

"A missionary of the Middle Ages tells that he had found the point where the sky and the Earth touch..."

I'll probably delete it again tomorrow but for the moment it seems right.

Mon 45min Fastlane; 40min turbo
    A lot of kicking in this swim set, much needed and the key to any future gains. One of the benefits of the Fastlane current is being able to hold a kick board and angle it for resistance. The set finished with some straight swimming and indeed straight away I could feel benefit from the legs.

Later a short snappy turbo.

Tue 20min Fastlane; 33min treadmill
    One of the reasons I justified the initial expense of the Fastlane is that I work from home. The ability to walk from the office, do a 20min swim set, and be back on the phone to a client in a total 23mins is invaluable at the moment.

Treadmill run later (similar reasoning as I am busy in the office these days) with some short fast intervals, faster than the same ones from last week so that's measurable progress.

I read the first reply at the end of the day many people feel the same as you do . And there is no one first all system .

What I was trying to say pretty much all of us have stuff we can work on . Frodeno worked on his achillis kienle on lower back . So in a way this is a perfect opportunity for stuff that needs attention and maybe prolong your time to be able to do triathlon.

My 3 goals are increasing balance lose weight
    And increase ROM in hip area . I do a lot of bike and run but that's not the focus
    And of course for other people other things work at the same time I did let one of my athletes go who was too much Lionel Sanders as this was to far away what I think is oroductive. And of course if there is no season than I was wrong and athlete right.

peter kern wrote: »
    who was too much Lionel Sanders

:D You have a great way of getting a point across Peter!

As ever, there is a lot to be learnt from your posts, and I thank you for the intervention. This can indeed be a good time to try out a new focus- I don't log it here but am also doing S&C work during the week, with a focus on developing my weak core. I'm going to take a leaf out of your book now and also focus on weight loss (having embraced the "extended winter" period too literally).

Race goals are changing as the calendar is changing. My race focus was the NC Aquathlon (not happening now), then Valentia Sprint (unlikely I can travel if it goes ahead, under current guidelines), and after that we'll have to wait and see. I have an entry for Hardman which may well be used, and would be a worthy goal. Otherwise I'm making plans with a few other to relay swim the Wexford coastline in late Sept... goals are important but we need to enjoy the journey there.

Wed 20min Fastlane; 60min turbo; 55min easy run

After another poor nights sleep, I got to wake up in the magic current.

A decent turbo- main 4*(8min hold 270W, 2min EZ), and later took an easy trot up to my closest hill, whose trails I haven't graced in an age. Kept the effort very low, and the enjoyment very high.

Thurs 40min Fastlane; 37min Treadmill

Swim:
    5min EZ
    5min k with fins & board
    5min steady swim
    5min k with fins & board
    5min steady swim
    15min progressive pb

Treadmill:
    10min EZ
    10*40s 16kph @10%, 60s slow
    10min @ 2% (12kph-16kph (progressively faster every 2 mins)

Thankfully a much better nights sleep (thank you Twinings Super Blends Sleep Tea) and a decent swim in the morning. The treadmill later went pretty well too, its handy to compare previous sessions and tonights was progress.

Fri 40min swim

Swim:
    5min EZ
    5min k with fins & board
    5min steady swim
    5min k with fins & board
    5min steady swim
    15min progressive pb

Same set as yesterday- its amazing how large the kick is after taking off fins.

Spent the day avoiding the office trying to fix my heater which has developed an unknown problem- might need a new flow switch part. We'll see how long this swim streak lasts, but there is other stuff I can do in the meantime.

Sat 45min turbo; 20min swim

Seems to be a pattern of a good nights sleep followed by a terrible nights sleep, and last night was the latter. My son is meant to do LC this year, my missus is a teacher, so the household was overall affected by the bombshell that teachers will be deciding LC grades. Irish f*ckwittery at its best; last week the Taoiseach announced the LC would go ahead with certainty; last night the Education minister took to his twitter account to say the opposite. Reward the weak, punish those who work... sometimes I despair of this country.

Anyway, that drama fed into todays tiredness; a sweatfest on the short turbo (4*4min 290W, 2min EZ) followed by a colder than usual brain wash in the Fastlane. The heater is still playing up, I think I know the issue and hopefully I can fix it, for right at the moment its part hideaway part psychiatrist part physio part nirvana all rolled into one.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 4th May|40 min Fastlane; 40min turbo|kick session; turbo 5*(1min 9/10PE, 2min EZ)
    Tue|20min Fastlane; 33min treadmill intervals|
    Wed|40min Fastlane; 64min turbo; 55min Z2 run|kick session; turbo 4*(8mins 290WT, 2 mins recovery)
    Thurs|20min Fastlane; 37min treadmill hills|10*40s 16kph @10%, 60s slow
    Fri|40min Fastlane| kick session
    Sat|20min Fastlane; 40min turbo|4*(4 mins 290W, 2mins EZ)
    Sun|20min Fastlane; 1:55 long hilly run|

Sun 20min Fastlane; 1:55 long hilly run

2km into this run a huge tree branch crashed to the road, exactly where I had been 5 seconds previous. Would have been a goner for sure! It was windy but nothing crazy, and the tree didn't seem rotten or anything... just added to the general surreality of these times.
    I continued on up along backroads that would take me to the lesser-journeyed Eastern side of Hillbrook. I traversed several fields, got to see a herd of 20 horses run along the horizon to see who was in their field- magical. Came out on a small road and crossed over to Annagh for a bit, before taking it handy the way home.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 11th May|45 min Fastlane; 20min treadmill|kick session in the pool, then progressively harder on treadmill
    Tue|20min Fastlane; 11k run with intervals|3*3min fast- struggled with breathing during these
    Wed|20min Fastlane; 60min turbo| turbo 4*(8mins 290WT, 2 mins recovery)
    Thurs|35min Fastlane; 60min easy run|20*100 progressive swim
    Fri|40min Fastlane, 20min treadmill| kick session, then progressively faster run
    Sat|20min Fastlane|
    Sun|20min Fastlane; 45min slow run|

A mixed week, I'm finding it hard to sleep (waking up tired) so ended the week exhausted. Todays LSR was truncated and I turned for home after 4km, HR was way above where it should be at a slow pace. Hopefully a better nights sleep tonight, and start again tomorrow.

Added to that, my pool systems have been playing up, the heater wasn't working so its been getting progressively colder as the week went on. I tried a million possible fixes over the past few days, stripping down the whole system and isolating every potential issue before rebuilding, and had just about threw in the towel and ordered a new (very expensive) heater, before I tried one final attempt to get to the root of the problem... and Eureka I managed to get it fixed today. Delighted about that, as this pool has given me so much pleasure and joy over the past couple of months in particular. Went for a cold but enjoyable quick swim after the run, happy knowing the temperature should be good again from tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Crap week, I couldn't sleep, waking up exhausted etc... so I binned any sessions and just did 20 or 30 mins in the pool each day, mostly for the benefit of having a current wash black thoughts from my bald dome. Getting very fed up of this lockdown, and have been letting it affect my mood. So many races cancelled this week- I feel sorry for the many Race Directors and clubs who had put so much effort in, for nothing.

Next week promises to be better- focus on the positives (there are many), get the sessions done, venture beyond the suffocating petticoats of Mother Ireland.

Advertisement