Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Exactly same thing happened to me at exactly the same place a few years back. It's a blind left bend (more than 90 degrees) and at that time the surface was in bits. Some clown in a jeep overtook me as I was going around the bend with about half a metre to spare (and half way into the oncoming lane). If there had been an oncoming vehicle I've no doubt the driver would have driven over me rather than collide with it.

At that time the vegetation was high and right up to the edge of the road, so there is no way the driver could have seen around the bend.

Another time I was going over the humpback bridge over the railway at Dunboyne and some clown overtook me completely on the wrong side of the road.

That one was unusual in that it was what is often referred to as a "boy racer" car. I always found drivers of those cars to be much more careful and courteous than your average driver (in Kildare/Meath at least).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are those two photos from the R149 between Lucan & Clonee? If so, I hate that stretch because you will always encounter impatient agressive drivers who are of the view that you have absolutley no right to be there and they do their best to let you know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Regards Westland Row, last time I cycled that around November 2021 it was fully sticked up along the lane? Why did they back track? Not that it made any difference, you'd vans that would fit into the cycle lane and park in it. It would force you to take the entire lane used for traffic.

A Green TD over the transport ministry and he is pissing literally everyone right off, I feel at times your putting your life in your hands at times on the bike. The standard of driving is really really bad, let alone the utter contempt of law/rule breaking is something else.

Then the councils installing cycle lanes are just grabbing low hanging fruit where its not only already safe, they are actually making it unsafe with what they are installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

The first is the R149, the second is the L2228 from Dunboyne to Clonee. For some reason I find that the driving in Dublin 15 and the areas a few km to its south and west is noticeably worse than elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm working off the assumption that your original lights are green and the traffic coming from your left, that you're about to join, is stationary. Otherwise you can just filter to the front and take up primary position in the turning lane in front of the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

It’s an awful junction in general and there’s often a van doing exactly what you described there.

Edit: in relation to Patrick St/Kevin St

Earlier this evening and not really a near miss but more a head scratcher over someone's lack of awareness. Car passes me on approach to a roundabout which was fine it's quiet and we're far enough away from it to be warranted. He then takes the 9 o clock and does a u-turn around the traffic island to come back out on to the roundabout and go around to go back the way he come from at 12 o clock. I was shaking my head and he gave me a kind of wtf was I thinking kind of shrug.

Horrific. 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Remind me - legally what can or can't motorists do with the various bike "lanes". I know there are different types of lanes, but are cars ever allowed to park in them, even temporarily? Sometimes I'm tempted to shout at people parked up in bike lanes but hold off in case I'm wrong and they're allowed to park out of hours or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

My understanding is that motorists can drive in a non-mandatory (broken white line) cycle lane to avoid an obstruction, someone turning right, etc. The same doesn’t apply to a mandatory (solid white line) cycle lane. For the avoidance of doubt, “mandatory” means “mandatory for non-bicycle traffic to keep out”, not “mandatory for cyclists to use”.

You can park a car in them outside their hours of operation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

non mandatory you can stop in to load/unload if there's nowhere else free for 30 mins

mandatory you can't stop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Car stopped indicating left with a wheel on the pavement here this morning blocking the bike lane, I signal to move out and to go around and while still indicating left they make a U-turn, I stop in the middle of the road and they tell me to have some patience!! I tried to explain they were blocking a cycle lane, parked opposite a white line and making a u-turn on the crest of a hill but it was all my fault! I cycled around them and then realized I hadn't turned my camera on! I'd a near miss with an An Post van 5 minutes later I'll review and see if its worth posting when I get home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This, although some mandatory ones have operational hours which bugs me as much as non 24 hour bus lanes. Why do it? I would probably tolerate it if it was a city wide thing where delivery trucks could operate between the hours of 4am and 6am in them for delivering when it is substantially quieter but this idea that a bus lane is needed for driving at 7pm or a bike lane becomes unnecessary (Ranelagh for example) at very wide ranging times is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

An Post this morning facing the wrong direction, opposite a white line on a bad bend, starts indicating as I'm approaching then pulls across in front of me then stops, to pull in on the wrong side again!! https://streamable.com/q6038b I'm going to send this to their fleet office for comment.

Seeing as we're talking about mandatory cycle lanes and their abuse, the silver polo straddled the lane for at least 1km as for the red car this is a common occurrence at this location usually saving just seconds if anything as there are lights at the top https://streamable.com/ykzxv6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Mandatory = solid white line, non-mandatory = broken white line?

If that's the case, does that mean in the photo I posted earlier that the delivery driver was in the right?

This one?

I think that stretch might be under clearway signage. However, it is not a mandatory cycle lane along the hatched area (it can't be so that vehicles can enter the loading bay).

I'd say the that he was parked close to the junction might be what would point to whether or not the parking was legal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Not a close pass this morning, but I did get a nice volley of horn from a lovely lady in a Range Rover as I was going straight at this junction 6 R113 - Google Maps. Both lights were exactly as they are in the pic, both arrows green. As far as I am aware, I have right of way when going straight. She was turning left and beeped me for going straight. She said something out the window, but that was drowned out by me telling her what I thought of her.

I was thinking after, even if I was in the right, she thought I was wrong and she's going to tell her friends how reckless cyclists are and they'll all agree and so perpetuate the feeling abut cyclists.

Both lights were exactly as they are in the pic, both arrows green. As far as I am aware, I have right of way when going straight. 

Just wondering (based on the Streetview image) - did you have a red or green light (assuming you were in the cycle lane)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're in the cycle lane, based on the lights there, she has the green and you don't. if you're in the road, and in the lane the camera car is in, you're in the wrong lane for proceeding straight on. if you're in the road, you need to be in the right lane there for proceeding straight on, so if she beeped at you in that instance, she should mind her own business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I was in the cycle lane that goes straight. Doh! I just noticed that there is a red cycle light which means I should have stopped. Nevermind, please move on, nothing to see here. The lady was right. I'll go look her up and apologise :-|

bloody cyclists...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to pass through that junction every morning when i went into work - always took the road, but it was usually quiet as i was outbound just after 7am. also, i was taking a right onto newtownpark avenue and wanted to claim my spot in the road for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They can stop in the cycle lane, whether they can block the road is a different matter.

It does yeah.

I have to say the cycle lanes in Blackrock are great, they've made a huge improvement for both the cyclist and motorist.

Is that lane not a left or straight ahead as dictated by the arrows on the road. Also, and people who frequent it more often can correct me but most times I have went there the left filter had a straight ahead with it at the start of the sequence or just a full (unfiltered) green. Only the right lane is right turn only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Going by the picture, the left road lane is left turn only, the right lane is straight only. The bike lane is segregated and has its own lights.

I cycle that way every day, got taken clean out of it by a van on the far side of the junction last week.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong picture but the one I see has a left/straight arrow in the lane, bottom left of the picture. This is the junction near St. Patricks Cathedral where you take a left to get over to Stephens Green right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

This is the one I'm commenting on, I think you're taking about the delivery van picture?

Yep, thank goodness for that, I thought I was going insane or everyone else was

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well that seems like a perfectly well designed bike lane where nothing could ever go wrong if you go straight.

Advertisement