Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill going downhill?

Options

Comments

Contact one of the local rags respected gazettes / journals or GBFM, maybe they'd highlight the issues concerned.

There fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

saabsaab wrote: »
    It just seems to be let drift and living on fading past glories now. I wonder has anyone local raised it with the local representatives and got a response?

to be fair, Pearce Flannery was constantly raising the need for works in Salthill when he was a councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some interesting suggestions to think about, thanks all. Not sure if it's worth going the apparently (failed) local representatives route. Maybe bring it further up the line?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Some interesting suggestions to think about, thanks all. Not sure if it's worth going the apparently (failed) local representatives route. Maybe bring it further up the line?

Councillors and city manager are the local reps who should deal with this . TD maybe but bigger picture view there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

we need a bike lane from city center out to blackrock, also what happened the idea of the prom being extended out to Barna ??Surely its a no brainer and would pay for itself many times over in a very short space of time, but allas they ready to throw a fortune at this 2020 COC* and lin the pockets of the hotels and publican a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Notch000 wrote: »
    we need a bike lane from city center out to blackrock, also what happened the idea of the prom being extended out to Barna ??Surely its a no brainer and would pay for itself many times over in a very short space of time, but allas they ready to throw a fortune at this 2020 COC* and lin the pockets of the hotels and publican a bit more

I doubt they’ve forgotten to lin their own along the way

Salthill still gets many visitors and on a sunny day it fills up fast facilities should reflect this.

I wasn't talking about major developments though I'm sure they would be welcome but some basicrepairs and amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Notch000 wrote: »
    we need a bike lane from city center out to blackrock, also what happened the idea of the prom being extended out to Barna ??Surely its a no brainer and would pay for itself many times over in a very short space of time,

I fully support the idea of a totally grade-separated 2-directional cycling space.

But please do explain, how would it pay for itself?

I fully support the idea of a totally grade-separated 2-directional cycling space.

But please do explain, how would it pay for itself?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/greenways-ireland-tourist-numbers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

The worst thing about Salthill is the amount of dogsh1t on the prom. Owners who let their dogs run free should be fined to discourage it. I know dogs love to run free but when they take a dump and you are not there to see it, who's responsibility is it to clean it up. You have to constantly walk with your head down so you dont step on any of it, it is a nightmare when you have the kids down there for a walk. I am embarrassed when I see tourists, especially foreigners walking along, sidestepping over piles of crap or worse still, walked in crap that makes even more of a mess. You dog owners should be ashamed of yourselves, you let your town down big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

As it has been said here already get on to the council and make your observations known. When I lived in Galway years ago I was constantly on to the council to get hedges cut, footpaths repaired, lines repainted on the road, grass cut, etc. Simple things, I don't know if me emailing and badgering ever actually influenced my observations being taken care of but within a few weeks of my query the issue was resolved or I was given a detailed explanation of the plan for the area.

Seriously you'd be surprised at how much is overlooked by the council. A lot of the time the resources are there, just takes the locals to get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The worst thing about Salthill is the amount of dogsh1t on the prom. Owners who let their dogs run free should be fined to discourage it. I know dogs love to run free but when they take a dump and you are not there to see it, who's responsibility is it to clean it up. You have to constantly walk with your head down so you dont step on any of it, it is a nightmare when you have the kids down there for a walk. I am embarrassed when I see tourists, especially foreigners walking along, sidestepping over piles of crap or worse still, walked in crap that makes even more of a mess. You dog owners should be ashamed of yourselves, you let your town down big time.

The dog sh1t and litter around Galway in general is one of the worst things about it. The first time I brought my wife to visit, it's the first thing she noticed.

I had forgotten about the dog**** but it can be a problem. I think it's not as bad as it was either most owners are getting responsible or the council are better at cleaning it up.

As a regular visitor to Salthill I see no changes to the issues raised in the thread, since my last visit a while back.

Anybody else raise these issues with the authorities or elsewhere?

Salthill is not just for Salthill even Galway people. it's on the wild atlantic way and attracts visitors from all over it should be kept better that it is at present.

I see that Refurbishment works are to be carried out at Mutton Island lighthouse.

I'm not against this but they would need to put in some security fencing/cameras to stop it being attacked again like before. It also doesn't get many visitors as the prom which should be a higher priority.

Has anyone been to the lighthouse? Is it even open to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Has anyone been to the lighthouse? Is it even open to the public?

Not open to the public which it should be, I think they could have placed the treatment plant in a way that it would not be obscured from the shore shame really

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not open to the public which it should be, I think they could have placed the treatment plant in a way that it would not be obscured from the shore shame really

Did you or anyone ever go to the top of it since the causeway was opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

i visited a few years back with the annual "ARCHITECTURE AT THE EDGE" festival. At the time you had to go through the treatment plant to gain access to the lighthouse. It was in the process of being renovated back then. Enjoyable visit and actual managed to go to the top of the lighthouse.

Sounds interesting. Did you need special permission or have you contacts there?

• Advertisement

Sounds interesting. Did you need special permission or have you contacts there?

The annual "ARCHITECTURE AT THE EDGE" festival orgsnises trips into various interesting places that aren't always open to the public.

The annual "ARCHITECTURE AT THE EDGE" festival orgsnises trips into various interesting places that aren't always open to the public.

Thanks for the info. Do you register with them or just turn up on a specified day?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

@Saabsaab,

They change their program every year. it hasn't been listed for a few years so it might be time to be revisited. If i remember correctly the tour was done in 1 hours slots with a limit of 10 people. you had to book online via their website.

topcat77 wrote: »
    @Saabsaab,

They change their program every year. it hasn't been listed for a few years so it might be time to be revisited. If i remember correctly the tour was done in 1 hours slots with a limit of 10 people. you had to book online via their website.

Thank you for that, I looked up their webpage but nothing down for 2020 yet.

https://connachttribune.ie/restoration-plan-approved-for-19th-century-blackrock-cottage-019/

Saw this link, a good idea that old abandoned building was just an eyesore.

Salthill neeeds a bit more of this,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Triangle wrote: »
    I do know that the council has a huge debt repayment due this year because of ill advised land purchases previously. This repayment means a heap of cash is going to loans instead of to facilities and it was meant to be (at least part) paid by the government but they decided not to back in the day and left it with galway city council.

Just another example of reduced services due to bank repayments unfortunately.

Ill judgements ?? Brown envelopes ya mean, no different than majority/all county councils in Ireland ... so much corruption in this country

https://connachttribune.ie/restoration-plan-approved-for-19th-century-blackrock-cottage-019/

Saw this link, a good idea that old abandoned building was just an eyesore.

Salthill neeeds a bit more of this,

Building on the seaward side of the road?

When we have global warming and rising sea levels?

Yeah, a great idea. Not.

If it rises as much as they say then the other side will be gone too. Still a better idea than the way it is and no public money involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I have noticed in the last year especially that Salthill is going downhill due to lack of maintenance i.e. the footpaths and the prom are cracked and in need of repair. the seats are in need of repair ans the public toilet near the car park seems to be out of order for several months. The empty tourist office is not doing much for the place too.

I drove all along the prom a few weeks back and my only thought was "What an absolute sh!ithole salthill has become"

• Advertisement

https://www.floodmap.net/

See above link where you can play God with the sea levels at any location. Scary stuff for Galway at plus 4M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement