Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carne 2020

Options
  • 22-11-2019 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I see they are holding an open 4ball comp in July over the 27 holes (10 to 18 of Hackett and new 9 holes on day 1 and the full hackett on day 2),also a practice round on the day before all for 100 euro. Wonderful value.
    Saw it on their Facebook page.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

How is the course holding up?

For the first time in ages, I didn't make it up there this year. It's easily my favourite course, amazing place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played it twice last yr, 18 faultless, new 9 greens are shockingly bad

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

slave1 wrote: »
    Played it twice last yr, 18 faultless, new 9 greens are shockingly bad

I'd imagine they'll be in better order for next summer. Half tempted to go for this deal. Looks good value.

They were the same last year and year before, they actually closed the new 9 for a while to let greens settle in but nothings worked so far. When i was there last I paid a fiver for the 9 and your one at the desk told me in advance they were bad so they couldn’t charge more.
    They have an ambition to make the course 10-18 old 1-9 new IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Jesus, that doesn't sound good. What is the problem with the greens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

https://youtu.be/QyvHOP-bqAI

Think they just haven't had the money to spend. Have walked some of it bit not played the new 9, still love the 18 holes.

Think when u play it don't expect it to be manicured like some of the bigger links.
    Its perfect the way it is IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

I normally try to play it once a year, lovely course and a great experience. It is a long way to go for a round of golf. Hopefully the greens manage to settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

slave1 wrote: »
    They were the same last year and year before, they actually closed the new 9 for a while to let greens settle in but nothings worked so far. When i was there last I paid a fiver for the 9 and your one at the desk told me in advance they were bad so they couldn’t charge more.
    They have an ambition to make the course 10-18 old 1-9 new IMHO

Actually that’s not quite true: They didn’t close the new nine to let the greens settle in. They closed it because they weren’t committed to it / couldn’t afford to keep all 27 going. Hence they let the greens and course completely go.

They have a new greenkeeper now who - thankfully - seems to be interested in the new 9. The club seem to be backing this so finally, we might see these holes start to take shape over the next 2 or 3 years. Exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Like slave said they are changing the layout of the course so the 18 holes will be 10-18 old and 1-9 new. not sure what they will do with the existing 1-9 though. Also not sure if this is the golf clubs decision or Erris tourism decision who own the course.

Actually that’s not quite true: They didn’t close the new nine to let the greens settle in. They closed it because they weren’t committed to it / couldn’t afford to keep all 27 going. Hence they let the greens and course completely go.

They have a new greenkeeper now who - thankfully - seems to be interested in the new 9. The club seem to be backing this so finally, we might see these holes start to take shape over the next 2 or 3 years. Exciting.

Well that's what they told me Ally, but I'll take your word, if I'm not mistaken you had your hand in their design, well played, shape and elevation changes are super, even the fairways are grand, I'd say our great Summer last year did them no favours either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

mike12 wrote: »

A great video, really shows off the course.

Advertisement