Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever take steroids?

Options
  • 21-11-2019 3:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

The press around them is bad but I know a lad in my college who says he was depressed throughout his teens and until he went to college and started taking them and going to the gym. Says it boosted his mood completely and he got fitter.

But I have heard a story of a guy who killed himself because he started hearing voices after two years of taking them non-stop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Does E45 count?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Are you a bot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

The press around them is bad but I know a lad in my college who says he was depressed throughout his teens and until he went to college and started taking them and going to the gym. Says it boosted his mood completely and he got fitter.

But I have heard a story of a guy who killed himself because he started hearing voices after two years of taking them non-stop.

The gym helped his mood, not the steroids

I actually knew who the OP was going to be before I even opened the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

The steroids didn't help his mood. Working out did.
    Don't do steroids dude.. go to the gym 4-5 days a week if possible.
    Take whey protein , some amino acids .. maybe creatine.. but not necessary
    working out will boost your mood and you will be proud that the gains you get are due to hard work and not chemicals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

If you are asking the question you are about 5 years of solid training away from when you should consider doing them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

blueb wrote: »
    The steroids didn't help his mood. Working out did.
    Don't do steroids dude.. go to the gym 4-5 days a week if possible.
    Take whey protein , some amino acids .. maybe creatine.. but not necessary
    working out will boost your mood and you will be proud that the gains you get are due to hard work and not chemicals

How bad are steroids?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

if used correctly.. in cycles and not abused i have heard that they are not that bad.

its a drug that should be administered and monitored by a doctor.

lots of online info. i go to the gym 5-6 days a week mostly weight training.. i see guys come in and are obvious on steroids as they get years of gains in 1 year. to me its just laziness and vanity at the expense of your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

I know a few lads from school who take them who would be big gym heads. I can really notice the effect its taking on them with mood swings between rage and being really depressed, although the also take coke as a pre workout so that could also be an issue.

Unless you are serious about being a body builder then why would you consider taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I have , ran several cycles over a 5 year period.

Feel free to ask any questions, i'll be completely honest

• Advertisement

............. also take coke as a pre workout so that could also be an issue. ............

Daz as a preworkout :D

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewscripps.brightspotcdn.com%2Fd1%2F75%2F288028bb4eda9018f9ea1e245178%2Fsnowfall.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How bad are steroids?

You do realise there are five major classes of steroids? All very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have a friend who used steroids and growth hormone in the gym. Now in his early 50s he looks healthy but has an enlarged heart (a mustle) and an irregular heart beat. On three separate occasions in the last eight years they brought him into the hospital to stop & restart his heart. When his heart is irregular he can't climb a flight of stairs without stopping to catch his breath.

The Dangers of steroids isn't exaggerated

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have a friend who used steroids and growth hormone in the gym. Now in his early 50s he looks healthy but has an enlarged heart (a mustle) and an irregular heart beat. On three separate occasions in the last eight years they brought him into the hospital to stop & restart his heart. When his heart is irregular he can't climb a flight of stairs without stopping to catch his breath.

The Dangers of steroids isn't exaggerated

Enlarged left ventricle. Not only caused by steroids. If you trained natural and lifted serious weight regularly you could get it.
    Left ventricle hypertrophy is common in sports people not just bodybuilders.

Irregular heartbeat ? Anabolic steroids do not cause that.

Research please.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

italodisco wrote: »
    Enlarged left ventricle. Not only caused by steroids. If you trained natural and lifted serious weight regularly you could get it.
    Left ventricle hypertrophy is common in sports people not just bodybuilders.

Research please.

Do you believe steroids are dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

italodisco wrote:

italodisco wrote:
    Research please.

His doctors disagree with you. Funny thing is that he still thinks along the way you do. He won't give an inch & swears none of his health issues are related to the steroid abuse no matter how many doctors tell him otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dose levels have to come into this too. EG in some jurisdictions testosterone replacement in older men is seen as above board and medically sanctioned, but the dosages are much lower than bodybuilders or dodgy athletes would take and are more about getting back to youthful levels of the hormone. Human growth hormone is one that some longevity types are into, though without medical sanction, again at doses that would would mimic levels in young adulthood.

The other aspect of this is how different men will respond to such compounds. This is the problem with doping in sports. When Lance Armstrong was finally exposed, there were some commentators, particularly US based ones that responded with; well they were all taking the same drugs and our drugged up guy beat everyone else's drugged up guy so that's more fair. Only it doesn't work like that. You could have two mid tier cyclists that appear to have the same starting point, but one could get more gains from doping than the other, sometimes significantly more. Armstrong seems to have been one such responder. There were also a good few deaths and life changing conditions that arose in the pro cycling population when that stuff was at its height.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes steroids ARE dangerous.
    Very high red blood cell count
    Very high haemoglobin
    Very high hematocrit levels
    All kept in check by regular phlebotomy

Growth hormone, different story. Can accelerate cancers and enlarge multiple organs.

Testosterone replacement therapy dose is 125mg per week of test enanth, or 1 shot of nebido every 8 to 12 weeks based on peak and trough readings.

The issue with steroids like testosterone, most gym rats start it and they stay on it without a break for a year or more without regularly checking (BY blood test) :
    RBC Count
    HCT
    Haemoglobin
    Liver status
    Estrogen level
    Progesteron
    LH and FSH
    SBHG

when I was a user I did a full panel of the above 2 weeks before a cycle, if all was in order I would start @600mg test prop per week for 12 weeks. Half way through I would check those blood markers again , also at the end of cycle.

Angiogram twice a year, blood pressure daily through the cycle.

I also took red yeast extract, celery seed, coQ10, fish oils and eat extremely clean.

I was doing it for competitive reasons though.

Unfortunately 99% of men just jump on steroids and think all is well because they feel great. Then BOOM, a stroke or a heart attack because their rbc, hct and haemoglobin was through the roof for such an extended period.

I would highly advise against steroid use unless you are planning to compete and willing to follow a similar regiment to the one i followed.

Most women have no interest in dating men that have 3d deltoids and vains popping out. Most stunning women you see on the street have average looking partners with dad bodies .

A good 4 day upper lower split, plus a decent diet ,following the principles of progressive overload , along with quality sleep will be enough to keep you in good shape.

Steroids or no steroids, diet and sleep will always be the biggest factor in your progression .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

italodisco wrote: »
    I would highly advise against steroid use unless you are planning to compete and willing to follow a similar regiment to the one i followed.

Most women have no interest in dating men that have 3d deltoids and vains popping out. Most stunning women you see on the street have average looking partners with dad bodies .

A good 4 day upper lower split, plus a decent diet ,following the principles of progressive overload , along with quality sleep will be enough to keep you in good shape.
    +1

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was prescribed a short course of steroids after a minor operation earlier this year. The duration of them happened to coincide with a half marathon I was running. The difference they made was scary. I was fresh as a daisy after it. Zero fatigue in the legs at all.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I was prescribed a short course of steroids after a minor operation earlier this year. The duration of them happened to coincide with a half marathon I was running. The difference they made was scary. I was fresh as a daisy after it. Zero fatigue in the legs at all.

Corticosteroids, different type of steroid .

Definitely give some additional energy, can't sleep when ever a doctor puts me on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

No but an average sized guy on the door with me in Derry did and the change in mental health and physical shape in a few months was horrendous- bate his wife, fought and bit part of his brother in law's ear off,barred by the republican movement from his day job( black taxi driver)-+ left or put out of Derry for a while
    Was a v normal guy until he started steroids, wanted to be as big etc etc as the rest of the doormen ( all fit non steroid ppl) but because of his natural shape he couldn't bulk up , really mad stuff( FYI or anyone from Derry reading this - was the embassy we worked in)

No but an average sized guy on the door with me in Derry did and the change in mental health and physical shape in a few months was horrendous- bate his wife, fought and bit part of his brother in law's ear off,barred by the republican movement from his day job( black taxi driver)-+ left or put out of Derry for a while
    Was a v normal guy until he started steroids, wanted to be as big etc etc as the rest of the doormen ( all fit non steroid ppl) but because of his natural shape he couldn't bulk up , really mad stuff( FYI or anyone from Derry reading this - was the embassy we worked in)

Testosterone wouldn't be the culprit, more than like he was using tren or deca, they have a much bigger impact on your head.
    I knew lots of users in my younger years, trenbolone turned them into absolute nutters .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Victor Conte mentioned that sprinters on a cycle of steroids their average 100m times be slightly slower than when they are not on the cycle. However their recovery is improved, so they get in more intensive training sessions over a certain time period.

Post cycle their times get faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Do you believe steroids are dangerous?

Steroids are dangerous, female hormones are dangerous, antibiotics are dangerous, paracetamol is dangerous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

The gym helped his mood, not the steroids

Chicken or egg? It was probably the steroids that made him go to the gym, then he saw the rapid gains he was making, which combined with the steroids was making him feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HeatherSan

I used to take steroids for a while, but I stopped because I didn't like the side effects. However, I know some people who have had positive experiences with them, like your friend in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

Lets be honest the gym & the steroids helped him feel good,

The ability to see almost instant gains & changes made him feel good that would not be achievable within such a short time without the steroids, They work & they make you feel good & confident but ..............................................there comes day you have to stop , you have to cycle off & the you will feel like holy hell, You'll become fat , lose mass, probably lose hair, lose libido , your natural test level will plummet & you will feel like utter **** , You may become suicidal you may have kidney problem & all sorts of other issues,

Or you can go to the gym without using , work hard progress over time , feel amazing , feel like you have achieved things & learn discipline, hard work & consistency is hugely important in life in general ,

Most of all not only will you look good you'll be actually healthy & you'll age far better,

Don't take short cuts , play the long game , life's a marathon not a sprint ,

Advertisement