Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing up a old bike

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Fair play, you must be delighted. Turned out well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Turned out really well. Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What size frame is it dickidy? Looks well now - congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

dickidy wrote: »
    Well I finally finished. From only ever changing a flat to rebuilding a bike this was an experience. A lot of mistakes were made. Some stupid but I never imagined how difficult it could be .
    The help I got from someone on here was a life saver and if he had not of been so kind this bike would of ended up in launched out my back garden to die a miser death such was the pain and grief of caused.
    This bike could fall apart and the paint could run off in the rain but it's done and I have learnt so much.

Beautifully executed restoration, in an iconic livery; be very proud of what you have achieved.

Chapeau!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Well done, that turned out great. Nice to see another Raleigh given a new lease of life. Enjoy riding it, they're a sweet frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Who sprayed it?

Did you do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Who sprayed it?

Did you do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

I sprayded it all myself.
    if i was to do another i think i would get it powder coated ( i think thats what they call ) by a pro and then spray paint it myself.

Few more pics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

The finish looks great in the photo, what's it like up close?

• Advertisement

As I said it was my first attempt at a restoration and yes there are a few blemishes and with more money I'd do a few things differently. As a bike it rides pretty good as most of the original parts are reused. ( new chain, cables and tyres )
    But as a project I'm very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Very nice. Fair play.

I have been half way through a project like this for over a year now. This has given me a bit of motivation to get it over the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Plans for it now dickidy?

its gonna be my run around bike. trips with the kids and so on, to see what its like , but i will be brining a multi tool with me at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Anyone here finish converting a 26" mtb to gravel machine ? My heart says yes but my head says no and to sell my current road bike and just buy something that will take the bigger tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Peter T wrote: »
    Anyone here finish converting a 26" mtb to gravel machine ? My heart says yes but my head says no and to sell my current road bike and just buy something that will take the bigger tyres

I was thinking of doing it with an old Claud Butler I was doing up, but it would have meant changing the stem as well as the handlebars, and I was having difficulty locating 3x7 brifters, so I ended up leaving the flat bar, and putting on 2.5 inch tyres.

Honestly, I think that the front shock would make it too heavy, and if I was going to change it to drops in the future, I'd change the fork as well

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Peter T wrote: »

I did an 80s Muddy Fox (made when Muddy Fox were still a reputable brand building quality bikes and the name hadn't been sold off) a while back.

It was a top of the range model, built from Tange Infinity tubing. I added drop bars, modern 26'' wheels, 8x3 brifters, cyclocross top-bar brake levers, mudguards, touring pannier racks and tarmac tyres as well.

It was an absolute pleasure to cycle with the lighter components, coupled with the relaxed frame geometry; the kind of bike you could just pedal away all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Might give it a go so. Something suitable has come up

Advertisement