Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from a Nikon D3100 to a D3500 good choice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

We’ve been using the D3100 cameras for several years now with students as part of a photography module. They are very good cameras but you will find a noticeable difference if moving to the D3500.
    The low light ability is greatly improved and certainly would be at least a two stop improvement. The lens is also much better. The older lens is optically ok but over time, being all plastic mechanisms, start to rattle. Buy the camera kit, it’s well worth it.
    The Amazon price is £299. I don’t know how that translates to Euro but the Amazon exchange rate isn’t good. I would recommend buying from a shop instead. If you live in Dublin, then Bermingham Cameras have it for €379. If you have any problems then you have somewhere to go for repairs or help with any of the controls. They also do photo walks which would be good for meet-ups and mini tutorials. If outside of Dublin they do mail order but I have no idea what their delivery charge is. Also, if outside Dublin, McCauley’s do great prices on cameras and they have good knowledgeable staff. The one in Redmond Square in Wexford is highly recommended.
    Another poster referred to the D7500. That’s a great camera but is a lot more expensive. Searching around will find deals but still expect to pay around €1200 with the 18-140 lens. Well worth it if it’s within your budget. Its focussing system is more advanced and compatible with a greater range of lenses such as the older D lenses.
    Good luck with your purchase. Your wife won’t be disappointed with the D3500 with the new kit lens if you decide on that one.

My son is looking for something like this for college, he will be mainly using it for shooting film but heard bad things about the slow auto focus? will a different lens fix this or would be be better looking at something like this instead https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XVREL8Q/?coliid=I4ZA7P7MFFR3S&colid=2MR284V3XFFMF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

mainly using it for shooting film but heard bad things about the slow auto focus? will a different lens fix this ...

Short answer: no - autofocusing takes place within the camera body.

But you should put your question in a separate thread altogether, because choosing a camera and lenses suitable for video work takes you/him into an entirely different area. The advice on this thread will relate primarily to still photography.

Advertisement