Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deprogramming Verona Murphy

Options
  • 19-11-2019 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭

It seems scaremongering and using asylum seekers/immigrants as a dog whistle is all the rage with these minor league politicians even if their party is one of the largest in the country.
    We'd Grealish the other week, but not to be out done, their kissing cousins over in Fine Gael had a go.
    FINE GAEL ELECTION candidate Verona Murphy has issued an apology over her comments suggesting asylum seekers coming to Ireland have to be “deprogrammed” as they may have been “infiltrated by ISIS”.

Murphy, a by-election candidate in Wexford and president of the Irish Road Haulage Association, made the comments speaking on RTɒs This Week Programme.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/verona-murphy-apologises-4895323-Nov2019/

Not since FG'er Noel Coonan likening water metering protesters to ISIS have we had such nonsense.

Leo spoke to her and all is well. He told her stories about his granny getting money from abroad or something. She's now completed her corrective education.
    If it's just a case of these people trying to get noticed that's shameful. If it's legitimate sentiment, rather than tow the party line, after being put back in their respective boxes, they should have the courage of their convictions to be open and honest with the electorate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

what would you like see happen to her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

what would you like see happen to her?

Nothing. It's good to be reminded about the kind of people Fine Gael have.
    I'd like her to either completely withdraw the comments, (not choice of words) as a case of onset Alzheimers or come out and stand by it. Did you read my post?
    We've enough problems from voting in people who say one thing but stand for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

In what way is this a "dog whistle"? What is the coded message, and who is the "secret audience"? Or are people throwing yet another clever-dick phrase around without knowing what it means?

jimgoose wrote: »
    In what way is this a "dog whistle"? What is the coded message, and who is the "secret audience"? Or are people throwing yet another clever-dick phrase around without knowing what it means?

Personally I use terms to cut back on typing. Nothing nefarious.
    Selling scaremongering, (trying to pull in the Casey demographic) like only wanting to be careful, IMO.
    You can google these things.

Personally I use terms to cut back on typing. Nothing nefarious.
    Selling scaremongering, (trying to pull in the Casey demographic) like only wanting to be careful, IMO.
    You can google these things.

I know what "these things" mean, that's the point. So what you're saying is she's sending a coded message, presumably on behalf of Fine Gael and the government, along the lines of "it's OK to dislike these pesky asylum seekers, 'cos they're ISIS types!" to that subgroup of people who supported Peter Casey that time because they're bigoted against travellers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Remember she also claimed theres no homeless problem in Wexford

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Free speech Matt, unfortunately it works both ways leaving you to type such fcukin nonsense yourself

Free speech Matt, unfortunately it works both ways leaving you to type such fcukin nonsense yourself

She can say what she likes, just have the balls to stand by it. Are you a fan of free bull**** to get attention?
    You didn't read my post very well.

I know what "these things" mean, that's the point. So what you're saying is she's sending a coded message, presumably on behalf of Fine Gael and the government, along the lines of "it's OK to dislike these pesky asylum seekers, 'cos they're ISIS types!" to that subgroup of people who supported Peter Casey that time because they're bigoted against travellers?

No.

No.

So she wasn't using a "dog whistle" technique to covertly summon the Lizard People, and is instead merely a normally reasonably decent woman putting her foot in it?

I would imagine Varadkar said something to her quietly along the lines of "For fuck sake V, you know you can't say things like that. Now don't do a Maria Bailey on it, stay off the bloody airwaves for a while!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Meh. No different to A-yawn O'Riordain saying No voters in the marriage referendum needed to be "worked on".

So she wasn't using a "dog whistle" technique to covertly summon the Lizard People, and is instead merely a normally reasonably decent woman putting her foot in it?

I would imagine Varadkar said something to her quietly along the lines of "For fuck sake V, you know you can't say things like that. Now don't do a Maria Bailey on it, stay off the bloody airwaves for a while!".

Normally reasonably decent woman?

You're having a laugh. She claimed a few months back there is no homeless problem in Wexford.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You're having a laugh. She claimed a few months back there is no homeless problem in Wexford.

What do you want to do, shoot her?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

She’s a horrible person.

What do you want to do, shoot her?? :pac:

Maybe she could live in a homeless shelter for 6 months and in Courttown DP temporary for 6 months.

Then maybe she could be isis deprogrammed.

That might do.

Honestly I dont want to do anything to her. I just want to point out she isnt a "normally reasonable decent person" and she isnt fit for public office.

Terry Pratchet

Maybe she could live in a homeless shelter for 6 months and in Courttown DP temporary for 6 months.

Then maybe she could be isis deprogrammed.

That might do.

Honestly I dont want to do anything to her. I just want to point out she isnt a "normally reasonable decent person" and she isnt fit for public office.

Well, I personally think she's not the worst of them, but anyway the point I wanted to make was she is merely shooting her fool mouth off and not enaging in one of these new-fangled clever-dick American political buzzwords. "Dog whistle" indeed, FFS...

Well, I personally think she's not the worst of them, but anyway the point I wanted to make was she is merely shooting her fool mouth off and not enaging in one of these new-fangled clever-dick American political buzzwords. "Dog whistle" indeed, FFS...

But this is now the third time she shot her mouth off.

She isnt a normally reasonable decent woman. She has claimed there's no homeless problem in Wexford and repeats without thinking alt right far right racist drivel.

You did not mishear her. Furthermore it was in the context of a declaration of support for the Oughterard protests.

Let’s get this clear. Amidst the various racist protests, Grealish, Lorraine Clifford-Lee, the candidacies of GO’D and of an openly anti-immigrant party in Wexford, a far right Dail rally in support of hate speech, the official Fine Gael candidate (the head of the hauliers organisation) has come out in support of the Oughterard protestors!

And she had her other soft racist remarks, broadcast on the flagship radio current affairs weekly on the national broadcaster.

Terry Pratchet

Something cocked your ears anyway ;)

But this is now the third time she shot her mouth off.

She isnt a normally reasonable decent woman. She has claimed there's no homeless problem in Wexford and repeats without thinking alt right far right racist drivel.

You did not mishear her. Furthermore it was in the context of a declaration of support for the Oughterard protests.

Let’s get this clear. Amidst the various racist protests, Grealish, Lorraine Clifford-Lee, the candidacies of GO’D and of an openly anti-immigrant party in Wexford, a far right Dail rally in support of hate speech, the official Fine Gael candidate (the head of the hauliers organisation) has come out in support of the Oughterard protestors!

And she had her other soft racist remarks, broadcast on the flagship radio current affairs weekly on the national broadcaster.

Yes, I know all that. But it wasn't a "dog whistle" tactic.

Yes, I know all that. But it wasn't a "dog whistle" tactic.

She was either stirring for attention from the 'they took our jobs even though they don't want to work lobby' or has backed down on her belief based on Leo having a word. One of these is true IMO.

• Advertisement

She can say what she likes, just have the balls to stand by it. Are you a fan of free bull**** to get attention?
    You didn't read my post very well.

I read your post, its drivel, she apologises and she's still wrong, what exactly is your point you're trying to make

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭jackboy

Ah yes, Oughterard, the new far right racist hellhole of Ireland. New holiday destination for the racists of Europe.

Or not.

She was either stirring for attention from the 'they took our jobs even though they don't want to work lobby' or has backed down on her belief based on Leo having a word. One of these is true IMO.

Was she not talking about the folk in Direct Provision? Anyway, I gave my theory on Leo's exact words to her earlier on! :D

Was she not talking about the folk in Direct Provision? Anyway, I gave my theory on Leo's exact words to her earlier on! :D

Read like all asylum seekers needing vetting and deprogramming as they might be ISIS. The topic was direct provision.
    Be nice to be dodging bombs supplied by the west, getting shot at by both sides and making your way to Ireland to be deprogrammed as a member of one of the groups you left to get away from.

I read your post, its drivel, she apologises and she's still wrong, what exactly is your point you're trying to make

You should read it again.
    I'm saying she should stand by it or retract the entire thing not try edit it to suit Leo's PR.
    Her opinion is as valid as yours or mine, we just might not know what her opinion actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I suppose the Maria Bailey issue has run out of road and Denis O'Brien hasn't won any contracts in the last six months, so the permanently outraged about FG need to have something to give out about, so here we go on the roundabout of the politics of the latest atrocity.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I suppose the Maria Bailey issue has run out of road and Denis O'Brien hasn't won any contracts in the last six months, so the permanently outraged about FG need to have something to give out about, so here we go on the roundabout of the politics of the latest atrocity.

Is that a rabbit hole to drag off topic and defend Fine Gael, while offering no opinion yourself on topic?
    Gas man Blanch.

latest?cb=20130607211206

You should read it again.
    I'm saying she should stand by it or retract the entire thing not try edit it to suit Leo's PR.
    Her opinion is as valid as yours or mine, we just might not know what her opinion actually is.

Maybe she believes in what she's saying and doesn't want to retract it, she's suiting Leo's PR to suit those who offend easily on behalf of others like yourself and the parrot

Maybe she believes in what she's saying and doesn't want to retract it, she's suiting Leo's PR to suit those who offend easily on behalf of others like yourself and the parrot

Nope. Not offended myself. You should re-read my OP. You assume I am because you can then give out. I agree with you. You are basically re-posting the OP. I say she should pick a stance and stick with it so we know what we're getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is that a rabbit hole to drag off topic and defend Fine Gael, while offering no opinion yourself on topic?
    Gas man Blanch.

The whole thread is a meaningless rabbit hole.

Advertisement