Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whiskey question

• 19-11-2019 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭

I've been doing a clear out of my mother's house and in a wardrobe I've found an unopened bottle of regular run of the mill Jameson whiskey. I can't find any dates on it but a date inside the box says July 2005 and on the outside it says it's from the Bow Street Distillery. As I'm not a whiskey drinker, is this still safe to give to someone or should I just discard it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

markc1184 wrote: »
    I've been doing a clear out of my mother's house and in a wardrobe I've found an unopened bottle of regular run of the mill Jameson whiskey. I can't find any dates on it but a date inside the box says July 2005 and on the outside it says it's from the Bow Street Distillery. As I'm not a whiskey drinker, is this still safe to give to someone or should I just discard it?

As you said it is unopened and sounds like a present she had no use for.

Should be absolutely fine. Give it away (Xmas coming up) but do make a point of mentioning the age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well I have to ask..I have whiskeys and liquors some of which are up to 15 years old. But I always assumed they were grand. They are open though..

Well I have to ask..I have whiskeys and liquors some of which are up to 15 years old. But I always assumed they were grand. They are open though..

Whiskeys/brandies/vodkas should be fine.

I would be very suspect of liquors that age if opened. To be honest I would'nt take the chance- more that they will go off and taste awful.

Whiskeys/brandies/vodkas should be fine.

I would be very suspect of liquors that age if opened. To be honest I would'nt take the chance- more that they will go off and taste awful.

That's unfortunate. Amongst a LOT of others, I have an opened bottle of Starbucks coffee liqueur, which is not very common.... But if it's dead.. Then I guess it's dead...Prob from 2004/2005....

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

You can drink whiskey no matter how old it is and regardless of how long the bottle has been opened.

However just because it's an old bottle doesn't make it any better or sought after than a new bottle of the same whiskey because it stops aging once it's bottled. The 10/12/18/etc year whiskeys are aged for that long in particular barrels and that's what the age relates to, it has nothing to do with how old the actual whiskey is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's unfortunate. Amongst a LOT of others, I have an opened bottle of Starbucks coffee liqueur, which is not very common.... But if it's dead.. Then I guess it's dead...Prob from 2004/2005....

Taste them. If they still taste good, they're good.
    No bacteria can grow in alcoholic solutions - it won't make you sick.

Taste them. If they still taste good, they're good.
    No bacteria can grow in alcoholic solutions - it won't make you sick.

I actually tried the Starbucks liquer last night. Its grand. Too sweet for me but tasted ok!

I actually tried the Starbucks liquer last night. Its grand. Too sweet for me but tasted ok!

You think you have problems. Watch this guy on Youtube- he eats old army rations 70-80 years old. He even ate a 100 year old Boer War ration pack...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA

Advertisement