Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenue 5 [HBO / Armando Iannucci]

Options
  • 18-11-2019 6:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So this is Iannucci's next vehicle, and it's ... ... a Space Comedy; who'd have predicted that? More predictably is the style of comedy, which the trailer teases, containing the the writer's trademark acerbic, profanity laden wit.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Trailer, yo. Always find it interesting how many series Laurie gets involved in post-House (8 years, ~ 24 episodes).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So strange to see Iannucci's style of humour (presumably minus the swearing for the sake of the trailer) in an ostensibly SciFi setting. Looking forward to this, though think it's just the two of us Black Oil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Three! But I won't really be happy unless Jamie from The Thick of It turns up and liberally distributes Glasgow Kisses.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It starts on Sky One on Wednesday January 22nd at 10pm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

pixelburp wrote: »
    So strange to see Iannucci's style of humour (presumably minus the swearing for the sake of the trailer) in an ostensibly SciFi setting. Looking forward to this, though think it's just the two of us Black Oil :D

I would be quite happy to try a uniform like Laurie's at some stage. Purely for research purposes, in case I end up in space. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,349 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,349 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starts tonight in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This and curb your enthusiasm on same night

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

maudgonner wrote: »
    Three! But I won't really be happy unless Jamie from The Thick of It turns up and liberally distributes Glasgow Kisses.
    He’s not there so far, but Rebecca Front (Nicola Murray) is, playing one of the guests. Named Karen, which I don’t think is a coincidence. (It’s a meme, ma’am.). Ethan Philips too, this time without the ST:Voyager makeup.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Zach Woods was good too. A good solid opener of an episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Feels a bit like Soap Opera. The idea of what's gone wrong and what it could mean looks promising though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Really underwhelmed by the first episode. It seemed really messy going from the ship and passengers to mission control to the team doing repairs.

Hugh Laurie was good and I like what they did with the character, I think there's potential there.

I love Zach Woods and Rebecca Front, but their characters did nothing for me and I don't think there's a lot of depth there.

The bickering couple was such a cliche and I was a bit disappointed in Armando for it.

Jack Black was his usual, whacky, rubbish self. Cannot stand him.

I'll stick with it for loyalty to Armando. I felt Veep was poor at the start but when I rewatched it, the show worked a lot better when I was familiar with all the dynamics so hopefully its the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not sure about this either. Agree it was all over the place and some of the setup could have been done without the automatic zany humour routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

steve_r wrote: »

Jack Black was his usual, whacky, rubbish self. Cannot stand him.

LOL, it wasn't even Jack Black. It's his understudy, Josh Gad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

LOL, it wasn't even Jack Black. It's his understudy, Josh Gad.

Worse again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Enjoyable but not quite sure what to make of this show and was expecting more bite considering who is behind it. Hugh Laurie, Zack Woods, Lenora Crichlow and mission control lady were great, Ethan Philips and Josh Gad were awful with the rest of the cast being forgettable and cliché. Roll on episode 2.

I enjoyed it. Some laugh out loud moment.

Captain: Wow, you are bendy, really bendy. Oh its broken, sorry.

I LOL'ed.

Irritating, persistent woman is irritating though. And the unhappy couple are irritating too. Blow all three out an airlock and this could be more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I didn't really like it but I'll stick with it, didn't have an Ianuccian feel to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Expected much better from Armando Iannucci..

.. first episode was poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,946 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just watched the first episode, some good one-liners - shows promise.

And the appearance of Zach Woods has already made it more infinitely enjoyable. :)

• Advertisement

Second episode was slightly better, I thought, some good lines. Very watchable, though I think it has yet to find its feet.

I'm disappointed by the lack of even basic science, answers to questions such as ... where the hell are they? They say there's a 26-second transmission delay, which puts the ship at about 26 x 300,000 = 7.8 million km from Earth. That's pretty close in astronomical terms e.g. the closest Mars ever gets to Earth is about 56 million km, or over 7 times that distance. They're going to end up a lot further away than that as time goes on.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

"Joe's social skills were... I mean the man could barely finish, in terms of sentences"

I don't know why, but I love that line so much.

Second episode was OK, Josh Gad’s character is just a little too over-the-top though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

It’s fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Third episode was more of the same..

... it's meandering around without being laugh out loud funny. It's such a great comedic cast and they feel wasted - which I'd never thought I'd say for an Iannucci creation.

Still, good to see the hugely talented Daisy May Cooper outside of This Country.

Watched 2 and 3: This is getting interesting. Feels like the show is
    slowly aiming to peel away the glossy facade the passengers
    and maybe even the audience might have had to begin with. Could get
    pretty grim after three years.. or not.. maybe they'll pull together and work something out.
    Hrmmm.. interesting.

Given how vicious Armando Ianucci projects can be, this has the potential to get extremely vicious. Think Lord Of The Flies, in space with better dialogue. If there's one thing lacking so far, it's memorable insults, something we know he can do (and then some).

Watched episode three, could get VERY interesting.

Josh Gad has tweeted...

https://twitter.com/joshgad/status/1222573208450129920?s=21

4: What a **** episode!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

First 4 episodes are only okay, a few laughs. The characters are one dimensional(so far) which is fine in a comedy if the plot moves it along but it isn't really.

Advertisement