Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 4572h

I'm not on about the vetting office I'm on about ags intakes having to get on with things I'd say alot of the vetting has been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

4572h wrote: »
    I'm not on about the vetting office I'm on about ags intakes having to get on with things I'd say alot of the vetting has been done.

Apologies, I didn't mean to come across as aggressive and I missed the point you were making

I certainly agree with you on that. There will always be retirements and injuries and its only a matter of time before more 'rostered watches' will have to isolate because of covid, they're going to need extra numbers soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's an issue that needs careful handling as an eight month residential course with trainees going back and forth to their homes on the weekend isn't feasible as it will almost certainly mean a cluster forming in the college. So that's out.

The alternative is the format the last two intakes have worked on - 3 weeks online training and 1 week in the college followed by being sent to a station. That has it's own drawbacks as you're sending what is essentially a civilian with no training, equipment or powers out in a Garda uniform onto the street.

I'm not sure what the situation is with these trainees as a whole is but in many cases they're being put in the back of patrol cars and they're going to calls with other Gardai from the unit. They're relying on the two Gardai with them to keep an eye on their safety and defend them at hairy calls so it's a bit of ask on the Gardai aswell.

It's not exactly a case of just giving someone a hat to put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 WhatsUp2014

Witcher wrote: »
    It's an issue that needs careful handling as an eight month residential course with trainees going back and forth to their homes on the weekend isn't feasible as it will almost certainly mean a cluster forming in the college. So that's out.

The alternative is the format the last two intakes have worked on - 3 weeks online training and 1 week in the college followed by being sent to a station. That has it's own drawbacks as you're sending what is essentially a civilian with no training, equipment or powers out in a Garda uniform onto the street.

I'm not sure what the situation is with these trainees as a whole is but in many cases they're being put in the back of patrol cars and they're going to calls with other Gardai from the unit. They're relying on the two Gardai with them to keep an eye on their safety and defend them at hairy calls so it's a bit of ask on the Gardai aswell.

It's not exactly a case of just giving someone a hat to put on.

Exactly it's when the trainee's return home at the weekends to Various parts of the country which would cause a cluster. Schools and colleges are trying to run on pod scenarios where the class does not mix with other's and the teachers do the moving. This would not be possible in templmore. I really hope a plan is made to carry on but only time will tell, we are in a very uncertain place and we can only hope things will improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 4572h

I don't see how they can't do pod work in templemore also when most of the work is done in group scenarios and the best way to learn is heading around with serving members which you actually see the real side to the job and you would learn alot more and you would also get a feeling for the job if its for you or not. They are not going to send you to dangerous situations or anything and not just to learn through set up situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I don't see how they can't do pod work in templemore also when most of the work is done in group scenarios and the best way to learn is heading around with serving members which you actually see the real side to the job and you would learn alot more and you would also get a feeling for the job if its for you or not. They are not going to send you to dangerous situations or anything and not just to learn through set up situations.

In order to learn on the job in any role you have to have a basic idea of what is going on when you see it happen. That's what you learn in Templemore. Whatever they're giving them in this crash course won't be touching the sides of what you need to know or touch on even 10% of what they might see. You come out of the college after 8 months with no clue so these trainees won't have a breeze what's going on.

There's plenty of these lads going to hairy calls, if they're in the back of a car and a domestic or an assault comes in the car crew can't drop the trainee back to the station...they're going to the call whether they like it or not. You're asking a lot of a working Garda unit to supervise, train and keep an eye on the safety of a trainee. It's hard enough keeping your own head on your shoulders at times.

The old, old system back pre-recruitment ban had trainees coming out of the college after 5/6 months to stations as trainees and then you went back to the college and back out again to a station, they had some idea coming out the first time. These guys are doing 4 weeks and going onto a working Garda unit, you don't know how mad that is yet but you may someday and it is fcuking mad.

In the pre-Covid training system everyone was trained to the same standard and then you went out, now trainees are being put out in stations and the quality of the training they will receive will depend entirely on the type and frequency of calls, how active the unit is, how much the Gardai they're with care about actually explaining things to them, how willing the Sergeant is to put them out in the car etc. etc. far too many variables there for there to be quality training, to a fair standard across the board.

There will be lads coming out the end of this who sat on their arse and lads who were flying around to calls with the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cmc35

Anyone have any tips on how to get a better beep test score? Im hitting level 9 consistently for the last 4 months but cant seem to get higher than that. Just about passing it..... I failed my first PCT in February as i got 7.2 on the beep. Quitting smoking since then has helped a lot. But i would like to get to level 10 and above for insurance, just in case the repeat goes badly on the day. Although PCT and medicals wont resume for 6-12 months at least it would be nice to have it nailed by the time they do come around next.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

cmc35 wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips on how to get a better beep test score? Im hitting level 9 consistently for the last 4 months but cant seem to get higher than that. Just about passing it..... I failed my first PCT in February as i got 7.2 on the beep. Quitting smoking since then has helped a lot. But i would like to get to level 10 and above for insurance, just in case the repeat goes badly on the day. Although PCT and medicals wont resume for 6-12 months at least it would be nice to have it nailed by the time they do come around next.

6-12 months? I’d say it’ll be a lot sooner than that

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cmc35

AD07 wrote: »

I hope im proven wrong... but with 600 plus cases today god knows what gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 WhatsUp2014

Until cases go well down there will be no pct so nobody can give a time line but they definitely won't be this side of Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LB1197

Can I ask how you managed to improve your score by that much in a relatively short space of time. What kind of training were you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

Any updates from anyone?

Any updates from anyone?

Hopefully the budget next week will answer a few questions on recruitment and intakes going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lozzy123

Was talking to a local Gaurd yesterday. Said everything within AGS is shut for the next while other than training for ASU. Said no point emailing HR anymore because they essentially no **** all aswell. Said his best guess is after new year which is pretty much what we all know already. The one slight bit of positive news was that he said when it all opens back up again it’ll be quick and fast. They are loosing numbers still and are not filling them so the system will crack eventually and they’ll be forced to get a move on w recruitment regardless of covid case numbers. Beyond depressing at this point... no point even worrying about it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SazO997

Hi Guys just wondering can someone give some advice. Last I've heard was back in January, I passed the interview, no word on pct/med tests or from sergeant/superintendent since, is there anyway I can contact anyone to see where my application is at or what I should do? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

SazO997 wrote: »
    Hi Guys just wondering can someone give some advice. Last I've heard was back in January, I passed the interview, no word on pct/med tests or from sergeant/superintendent since, is there anyway I can contact anyone to see where my application is at or what I should do? Thanks!

Your in the same boat as every single other candidate, no point contacting anyone , all we can do is wait unfortunately, your vetting is ongoing , and will probably be passed by the time pct and meds start up again , so that’s all that’s happening with your file atm , we are first in line for the pcts and meds , which should happen in the new year

SazO997 wrote: »

Scroll through the pages on this forum, a lot of good information on it. You can contact Garda HR directly if you want but you’ll find that they have no new information for applicants at the moment.

No harm checking in with them to make sure your file hasn’t been lost 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rich_ccfc

Scroll through the pages on this forum, a lot of good information on it. You can contact Garda HR directly if you want but you’ll find that they have no new information for applicants at the moment.

No harm checking in with them to make sure your file hasn’t been lost 😬

I wouldn't be saying anything about a file being lost, peoples nerves are already shook enough as it is.

Rich_ccfc wrote: »
    I wouldn't be saying anything about a file being lost, peoples nerves are already shook enough as it is.

I know what you’re saying and I’m not trying to fear monger anyone but I have heard of people missing intakes because their file was ‘not up to date’ on a HR side , again genuinely not trying cause concern but absolutely no harm in contacting HR and making sure you’re file is up to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Crafty_Veteran

Lozzy123 wrote: »
    Was talking to a local Gaurd yesterday. Said everything within AGS is shut for the next while other than training for ASU. Said no point emailing HR anymore because they essentially no **** all aswell. Said his best guess is after new year which is pretty much what we all know already. The one slight bit of positive news was that he said when it all opens back up again it’ll be quick and fast. They are loosing numbers still and are not filling them so the system will crack eventually and they’ll be forced to get a move on w recruitment regardless of covid case numbers. Beyond depressing at this point... no point even worrying about it anymore

The glimmer of hope we had a couple of weeks ago is gone now with the rise in Covid cases. January 2021 is the best we can hope for.

• Advertisement

I know what you’re saying and I’m not trying to fear monger anyone but I have heard of people missing intakes because their file was ‘not up to date’ on a HR side , again genuinely not trying cause concern but absolutely no harm in contacting HR and making sure you’re file is up to date

Oh I'm not saying that you are but I was nearly convinced myself that my file was missing over hearing something similar And I emailed dublin in a panic and I was reassured that it wasn't lost, you are right no harm In ringing and enquiring

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Darren0999

Man this has been the worst year ever!

I passed my PCT on 4th February. I met the local Sargeant and Inspector before I done the PCT!

I then got a call for Medical on the 12th February and unfortunately I was deferred on my Eyesight! Was given 6 months to get this corrected.. Was due to get Laser Eye surgery on 26th March, this was all canceled due to Covid and eventually it went ahead on 17th July at a cost of 3800..

When I got this I was still within the 6 months, I had emailed them numerous times during them months to update them and also called them to which they told me "Dont worry, there is other people in a similar situation" They advised me to send in my reports by email and someone would reply to me which nobody did. I then copied and post my reports to the Chief Medical Officer and still no reply?

I have given so much mentally and financially to this and I just feel completely burned out at this point! Surely they could dignify me with a response even if it is bad :(

Anybody any ideas on what step I should take next?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Corry21

All in same boat Darren everyone has similar story to you just scroll back few months lads waiting since 2017

Corry21 wrote: »
    All in same boat Darren everyone has similar story to you just scroll back few months lads waiting since 2017

Totally agree, I have read back. I haven't seen someone in a situation of not passing the medical first time and then fixing their issues within the 6 month timeframe.. Its the lack of a reply to the emails and to even confirm if the reports are accepted so that I can be medically cleared is my issue. Surely they can at least do that much.. If they emailed back and said I was now medical cleared then I am happy to sit back and wait..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Darren0999 wrote: »
    Totally agree, I have read back. I haven't seen someone in a situation of not passing the medical first time and then fixing their issues within the 6 month timeframe.. Its the lack of a reply to the emails and to even confirm if the reports are accepted so that I can be medically cleared is my issue. Surely they can at least do that much.. If they emailed back and said I was now medical cleared then I am happy to sit back and wait..

You have sent the reports in and they are accepted , it’s the same story as when you emailed back your form b, nobody got a email saying “thank you this has been accepted, we will be in contact”
    It’s just the way they work unfortunately, so don’t be stressing ,

I got my eyes done aswel, I also bought a new MacBook in preparation for college , 5000 spent but I have changed my life with getting the laser and I have a new laptop ha, and iv longer to work , to save money to compensate the money iv spent ,
    So instead of dwelling on the negatives just hang in there like everybody else , people have got to be aware that this isn’t going to change overnight, classes will go ahead next year regardless but numbers might be small , so people have to be prepared that it might not even be next year for some of us ,
    The budget will tell us a lot next week

St. Westy wrote: »
    You have sent the reports in and they are accepted , it’s the same story as when you emailed back your form b, nobody got a email saying “thank you this has been accepted, we will be in contact”
    It’s just the way they work unfortunately, so don’t be stressing ,

I got my eyes done aswel, I also bought a new MacBook in preparation for college , 5000 spent but I have changed my life with getting the laser and I have a new laptop ha, and iv longer to work , to save money to compensate the money iv spent ,
    So instead of dwelling on the negatives just hang in there like everybody else , people have got to be aware that this isn’t going to change overnight, classes will go ahead next year regardless but numbers might be small , so people have to be prepared that it might not even be next year for some of us ,
    The budget will tell us a lot next week

Well it's nice to hear i'm not the only person in this position! It was a bit of a loophole to get stuck in as its a 6 month time frame they only give when you are deferred at medical to fix the issue.. With Covid all surgeries were cancelled so I barely made the 6 months. I recieved a letter to the house after the medical to "forward reports to the Chief Medical Officer" would be nice if they could at least acknowledge the reciept of them as it was 5 months later when I sent them, just for fear they didn't recieve the post :rolleyes:

I wouldnt worry lad. I applied in 2018 and I too had to get lasereye surgery. Went for my medical in July 19 and failed so the laser pushed me a bit. Got approved on september 19 so I wouldn't worry I've been waiting awhile and I emailed constantly.

Unfortunately with dublin in lockdown and the country on the verge of it again things are a lot slower than they were a few months back.

Rich_ccfc wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry lad. I applied in 2018 and I too had to get lasereye surgery. Went for my medical in July 19 and failed so the laser pushed me a bit. Got approved on september 19 so I wouldn't worry I've been waiting awhile and I emailed constantly.

Unfortunately with dublin in lockdown and the country on the verge of it again things are a lot slower than they were a few months back.

How do you know you were approved? Did you get in contact with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lozzy123

Man this has been the worst year ever!

I passed my PCT on 4th February. I met the local Sargeant and Inspector before I done the PCT!

I then got a call for Medical on the 12th February and unfortunately I was deferred on my Eyesight! Was given 6 months to get this corrected.. Was due to get Laser Eye surgery on 26th March, this was all canceled due to Covid and eventually it went ahead on 17th July at a cost
    of 3800..

When I got this I was still within the 6 months, I had emailed them numerous times during them months to update them and also called them to which they told me "Dont worry, there is other people in a similar situation" They advised me to send in my reports by email and someone would reply to me which nobody did. I then copied and post my reports to the Chief Medical Officer and still no reply?

I have given so much mentally and financially to this and I just feel completely burned out at this point! Surely they could dignify me with a response even if it is bad :(

Anybody any ideas on what step I should take next?

All in the same boat :( I did my phycial in January of this year but wasn’t called to a medical at all! Any idea as to why there is such inconsistency with medical dates before covid etc?

• Advertisement

Lozzy123 wrote: »
    All in the same boat :( I did my phycial in January of this year but wasn’t called to a medical at all! Any idea as to why there is such inconsistency with medical dates before covid etc?

I presume this has something to do with your Order of Merit! What was your number?

And you obviously passed the Medical first time?

Advertisement