Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you taller/shorter than your parents?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I'm the oldest, a bit taller than my mam (she's 5'6" I'm 5'8"), my sister is taller than me, my dad is 6'0" (or sorry, dad, 6'0.5" he's particular about that :D) and my brother who's the youngest is 6'3". Tis as well they stopped at three kids they'd have ended up with giants.

My OH's dad is maaaybe 5'10" and he's 6'4" or thereabouts, he's the bop of him though. He's the youngest too, fair whack taller than his siblings, wonder if there's something to where you come in the birth order.

Funny, my youngest (of 3) is about 6' , my nephew , also youngest of 3 is tallest in his family and most of 15 or so nieces and nephews are taller than their parents, none of whom are particularly short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

I’m 6’1’’ but feel I could be a bit taller! Just a half inch over my Dad. Mam is 5’7’’ and both of my sisters are 5’9’’. My cousin is 6’4” and both of his parents are are well shaded by mine. And unlike him I ate my veg and drank my milk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

My father is 5'11 and my mother is just shy of 5'4.Now I'm 6'3 but the sad thing is my youngest brother is 6'6.How fair is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Well my mam is only 5ft so not hard to beat. My dad is about 5'7 or 5'8 and I'm 5'6. Taller than my sister but definitely not the tallest out of my cousin's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I'm 6'2. My father was 5'10. He said it's all the hormones in milk these days. He was built like a brick sh!thouse though. Had probably the thickest wrists I've seen. I'm just normal-big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm 6'2. My father was 5'10. He said it's all the hormones in milk these days. He was built like a brick sh!thouse though. Had probably the thickest wrists I've seen. I'm just normal-big.

What is true is that most kids these days have better complete nutrition sources than most previous generations. People in the past had to do a lot more physical exercise and whilst they may have been smaller than the current average - they tended to be a stronger and fitter without needing to attend a gym or similar. Btw milk does not gave any additional hormones added. The fact is practically all whole foods contain hormones whether that is vegetable or animal. We could can play peer reviewed paper snap all day with the various claims made for one and the other tbh.

My own family come in all shapes and sizes. My maternal grandfather was a giant of a man. My paternal was average. Both grandmothers ditto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Maybe hes not your real father and a vertically challenged individual is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

gozunda wrote: »
    I dunno - I was found under a cabbage plant ...

You're more of a veggie than you'd care to admit :D

I'm a bit taller than my father - both of us about 6 feet tall.
    My son is only little but he is already a buster - I think he is going to tower over me by the time he is in his teens.

There are tall genes on his mothers side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You're more of a veggie than you'd care to admit :D

It's true - I have to confess - I love my veggies as much as my steak

I'm not joking about the cabbage either :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I left my dad behind height-wise when I was 12 - he was 6' 1" at the time. I did stop growing shortly thereafter, but those 2/3rds of an inch I ougrew him by were very important at the time.

Alas I'm now only about 6' one and a half, with most of the difference probably down to the bits of disc I've had removed from my spine

Both myself and my brother are just a smidge under 6'2. Our sister is probably 6 or 6'1. Our father was 6' and I think my mother is not much over 5'5. My brother and I are a lot broader/stronger than the rest of the family. One cousin is 6'4 but skinny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

gozunda wrote: »
    What is true is that most kids these days have better complete nutrition sources than most previous generations

For sure

They are definitely bigger

They had some transition year class or leaving cert class in the gym the other day

Don't think any boy was under 5'10, most were over 6 feet and could do with feeding, we had maybe a handful over 6 feet when I was in school, def not common like today

All boys in my family are taller than my father of 5'9 by an inch or two, trying to think of any male friends/family smaller than fathers, can't think of any, must be uncommon

Advertisement