Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Law & Jurisdiction

Options
  • 16-11-2019 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Just curious about laws regarding jurisdiction...I was under the impression that a crime must be committed within the same jurisdiction were the trail is held...

Just after watching "Devil Next Door"...how did Israel have jurisdiction also with Eichmann...the crimes were committed in Poland...Not Israel.

I'm not trying to defend the actions of those two...just trying to figure out how Isreal had the jurisdiction within the remit of International law

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Just curious about laws regarding jurisdiction...I was under the impression that a crime must be committed within the same jurisdiction were the trail is held...

Just after watching "Devil Next Door"...how did Israel have jurisdiction also with Eichmann...the crimes were committed in Poland...Not Israel.

I'm not trying to defend the actions of those two...just trying to figure out how Isreal had the jurisdiction within the remit of International law

Not entirely sure about international law but under EU law, a country can claim Jurisdiction when one of its citizens has been the victim of a serious crime.

The Sophie Toscan du Plantie case is an example of this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Trigger wrote: »
    Not entirely sure about international law but under EU law, a country can claim Jurisdiction when one of its citizens has been the victim of a serious crime.

The Sophie Toscan du Plantie case is an example of this

But with the victims of the Holocaust were citizens of European countries not Isreal...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Israel illegally kidnapped him from Argentina and used a 1950 law that they passed that allowed them to prosecute him (or other Nazi party members) because he was in the country. So did Israel have jurisdiction? Not really but they decided they wanted to convict Nazi's anyway as an Nuremberg extension and no major power wanted to stop them.

Detailed version with references can be found here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Eichmann

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Nody wrote: »
    Israel illegally kidnapped him from Argentina and used a 1950 law that they passed that allowed them to prosecute him (or other Nazi party members) because he was in the country. So did Israel have jurisdiction? Not really but they decided they wanted to convict Nazi's anyway as an Nuremberg extension and no major power wanted to stop them.

Detailed version with references can be found here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Eichmann

I'm familiar will the breach of international law with Eichmann, he was kidnapped and smuggled back to Isreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Might makes right; the true law from which all others proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm familiar will the breach of international law with Eichmann, he was kidnapped and smuggled back to Isreal.
    Sorry I was not trying to insult you but that's basically the answer to your question. The Israel law basically says if we spot a Nazi in Israel we can prosecute them because of what they have done to our citizens/people; it does not matter that they were not our citizens at the time if they are now. That's why the kidnapping was claimed to be done by "random" individuals rather than the state of Israel to be able to justify that the state could convict him because the state had not broken the law basically. It's basically the same policy as when Israel a few years ago went and killed the guy in Saudi Arabia at the hotel because he was involved in weapon smuggling (as far as I recall was the claim); it's not about meeting international law requirements as much as acting and basically telling the world "Come at me bro" if you don't like it as Nermal stated above.

Advertisement