Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Assembly on Climate Change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not a bad list to be fair and there are some good ideas in it.

Interesting that RTE are collecting responses that agree with the ideas. Strange, I thought RTE was politically neutral.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

KSU wrote: »
    Some thought's though people may not agree

With the forestry one I thought it meant at first, 10% per farmer, which would be totally unrealistic. But if it's 10% of all agricultural land, it wouldn't neccesarily be 10% of yield, if less productive land is converted. I don't think it should be 'dedicated to forestry' either, since that'll just mean more bloody sitka plantations.

But then, as you say, a background in economic policy is lacking.. of course though the point of today isn't to get a bunch of teenagers to solve a few decades worth of economic planning in a day, but to get a discussion going.

I do wonder how much help they got though, would be interesting to hear a more detailed report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Not a bad list to be fair and there are some good ideas in it.

Interesting that RTE are collecting responses that agree with the ideas. Strange, I thought RTE was politically neutral.

TBF the kids aren't in any party. It's opinions on the environment.

They aren't these guys...

DeMTRULX0AA9vga.jpg
    2019-08-05_iri_52336050_I2.JPG

If there were as many kids calling it a load a bollo, I'm sure they'd get a fair shout.

TBF the kids aren't in any party. It's opinions on the environment.

They aren't these guys...

If there were as many kids calling it a load a bollo, I'm sure they'd get a fair shout.

Id be saying grand ok, if RTE also had a box you could tick to say you didn't agree, but they don't.

So they'll report their one figure and that's it

Id be saying grand ok, if RTE also had a box you could tick to say you didn't agree, but they don't.

So they'll report their one figure and that's it

It's easy air time. Same reason the government are all over it. Pat a few chizzlers on the head. I wouldn't worry about it nothing will change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

KSU wrote: »
    Aren't the 20 somethings the ones paying for the mistakes of the previous generation?

They can't afford get deposits for a house or if they can are just keeping their head above water regarding cost of living, can't afford retrofits etc, can't afford electric cars are having to commute hours in traffic out of necessity etc.

How can they afford the luxury of choice to implement their values? The funny thing is that the older generation for the most part are the ones who are able to afford to implement these changes.

Ehh it is not just 20 somethings that are sitting in traffic and struggling.

And I am tired of just hearing shyte about what the older generations did and woe is me.
    When I was growing up there wasn't a pot to pi** in the country, a lot of parents were having to work abroad and there wasn't a flight home every weekend either, and there were fook all 20 somethings around to complain as most had to leave the country.

So stop always blaming certain older generations and thinking they had it easy.
    Every generation has problems and yes it is down to mismanagement by older ones, but sometimes a lot of the older ones just got on with it and tried to improve it for the ones following.
    sk8erboii wrote: »
    ? Whose pretending? Im in my mid 20s. Happy to see children are taking an active interest in pressing issues. Would be happier to see old people back the f*ck down and shut up.

If you aren't trolling then one could imply you are one almighty insufferable gobshyte.
    Now I am not saying that of course as that would be personal.

If you are a 20 something then there is very good chance you have had a third level education of some sort, although looking at some of your utterances and pronouncements it was somewhat of a waste.

Ever consider who paid for that education?
    And don't tell us your parents because even if they coughed up for some of it, it was still subsidised by the taxes of those older generations you are always bleating about.

Who paid for a lot of infrastructure that you enjoy today ?
    Who made the sacrifices to try change this state into something of a modern inclusive democracy ?
    The state you live in today, albeit with problems and issues, is broadly down to hardwork and sacrifices made by older generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,081 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Is it wrong to be cynical about the Youth Assembly on climate change in the Dail?

No Youth Assembly about the housing crisis, health crisis, political corruption or Irish unification but a Youth Assembly on the climate crisis. Why?

Do the participants represent the views of young people in Ireland or do they just represent young people who are concerned about climate change?

Is it appropriate that only young people from one viewpoint were invited to participate in a discussion in the seat of Irish democracy?

Compared to the other issues you mentioned climate change’s impacts are generations long, a housing crisis can come and go in the span of a couple years and a corrupt government can be outed by general election and no confidence votes. Those are not issues that will affect these yutes their entire lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh it is not just 20 somethings that are sitting in traffic and struggling.

And I am tired of just hearing shyte about what the older generations did and woe is me.
    When I was growing up there wasn't a pot to pi** in the country, a lot of parents were having to work abroad and there wasn't a flight home every weekend either, and there were fook all 20 somethings around to complain as most had to leave the country.

So stop always blaming certain older generations and thinking they had it easy.
    Every generation has problems and yes it is down to mismanagement by older ones, but sometimes a lot of the older ones just got on with it and tried to improve it for the ones following.

I think the facetious nature of my post might have been lost in translation :P

I was actually making the point that for all the virtue signalling around youth realistically they will rely on the money of the older generation to implement it.

Overheal wrote: »
    Compared to the other issues you mentioned climate change’s impacts are generations long, a housing crisis can come and go in the span of a couple years and a corrupt government can be outed by general election and no confidence votes. Those are not issues that will affect these yutes their entire lifetimes.

Given that the population is set to grow by 50k per year every year for the next 20 years, it is entirely possible that the crisis in housing will not be resolved.

Look at healthcare, the crisis has been perpetual there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

It's the kids who don't believe in climate change will be the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Calhoun wrote: »
    I think the big thing that will undo all the green work is the current thoughts on degrowth, no country in their right mind will be happy with just turning back development and having a lesser standard of living.

Richard Douthwaite wrote the book on that 'The Growth Illusion'. He demonstrated the argument in multiple ways. But you're right, I'm not convinced that 'young people' can conceive of the changes really needed in their lifestyles if they are to deliver this model. Even to step back to the standard of living say 40 years ago would be a major shock to their collective system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Overheal wrote: »

Of course the housing crisis is going to life long impacts on people’s lives. Do you think children can live in hotel rooms and not be affected by it?
    It’s like saying the famine only affected people from 1845 to 1848. The Worst of the crisis may have ended but the effects are long felt.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Is the government behind this climate change agenda in RTE, It's on now 24/7 and starting to get very tiresome, everything else that's going on in the country is swept under the carpet to listen to this one sided debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Given that the population is set to grow by 50k per year every year for the next 20 years, it is entirely possible that the crisis in housing will not be resolved.

Look at healthcare, the crisis has been perpetual there.

scary when you put it like that but yes its total feasible that housing will become the same as health - i can never remember a time when the health service was not in crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

mgn wrote: »
    Is the government behind this climate change agenda in RTE, It's on now 24/7 and starting to get very tiresome, everything else that's going on in the country is swept under the carpet to listen to this one sided debate.

The homeless debate is hardly ever mentioned now. CC is the new crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

NIMAN wrote: »
    the 24/7 media cycle requires a never ending supply of crises to keep us clicking.

Thats what im on about, is it Leo & Co behind it. because nothing that looks bad for the government is shown on RTE now especially in the last 6 months.

For a government with record breaking (and upwards) numbers of children homeless Leo has some cheek posing with these children, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

It’s almost as if there might be an election coming up that they don’t wanna highlight there failures to inplrmvpoloxy to rectify the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Watched the news tonight

How many working class accents did I hear?

NONE

Working class youth

They want your travel your food and the clothes you wear limited because of the guilt of their privilege lives

Wake up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s all about government brainwashing. They are trying to make us feel that we have no other choice and that we have no argument but to accept all the upcoming taxes, control, loss of freedoms and lower living standards for the working class and below because of climate change.

I can see all this scaremongering by teachers not ending well.
    It you look at some of these kids, the are genuinely frightened by what the are being told, instead of enjoying the best years of their lives,their going around thinking the world is going to end in 12 years time. If its kept up there will be a lot of problems down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Watched the news tonight

NONE

Working class youth

They want your travel your food and the clothes you wear limited because of the guilt of their privilege lives

Wake up

What's a working class accent?

I can see all this scaremongering by teachers not ending well.
    It you look at some of these kids, the are genuinely frightened by what the are being told, instead of enjoying the best years of their lives,their going around thinking the world is going to end in 12 years time. If its kept up there will be a lot of problems down the line.

Where has the feeling of invincibility of youth gone for them ?

At that age we lived for the now

Taking chances and to hell with the future

Rodin wrote: »
    What's a working class accent?

I heard none

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I heard none

Perhaps there's no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I believe that children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside.

Whitney Houston

Where has the feeling of invincibility of youth gone for them ?

At that age we lived for the now

Taking chances and to hell with the future

And that's what these kids should doing instead of going around like brainwashed zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Rodin wrote: »
    Perhaps there's no such thing.

One thing for sure is i often hear that put on upper class accent, they certainly exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Watched the news tonight

NONE

Working class youth

Wake up

Yes. It's immoral but they don't care because it makes them feel warm fuzzy inside.

Screw everybody else.

Advertisement