Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Troll gets three years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭tigger123

Sentence is good enough for him. He knows what he was doing was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Wheety wrote: »
    Well, why didn't he pick male journalists?

Not many male journalists spitting anti white anti male claptrap... its the new go to for professionally outraged women , and so those professionally outraged women are the new targets for internet trolls...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a sad sack of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Boggles wrote: »
    The fact that they were exclusively female is key to the crime FFS.

:rolleyes:

One of them tried to actually help him, he ramped up the abuse towards her.

Absolute cretin who knew the difference between right and wrong.

Very interesting, someone who can't tell the difference between right and wrong needs help not prison

• Registered Users Posts: 39,775 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Very interesting, someone who can't tell the difference between right and wrong needs help not prison

The psychologist who evaluated him disagrees?

What are you basing your evaluation on?

• Advertisement

Not many male journalists spitting anti white anti male claptrap... its the new go to for professionally outraged women , and so those professionally outraged women are the new targets for internet trolls...

Sounds like you're suggesting the women brought it upon themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I definitely agree with him being sent to jail but as is so often the case, there's no consistency and thus makes the sentence seem harsh.

Here's a woman getting three and a half years for "manslaughter", stabbed her boyfriend in the heart, claimed to guards someone else did it and ran off. She later changes her story to self defence.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/victim-s-family-criticise-sentence-of-3-years-for-killer-1.2982109?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

So you have the same issue with women? I hope you're only trolling on here and not harassing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The psychologist who evaluated him disagrees?

What are you basing your evaluation on?

I was quoting you...You stated he couldn't tell right from wrong...

:confused:

He targeted one of the Victims because she wrote a piece on male suicide, she then encouraged him to get help and he ramped up the abuse?

Why are you identifying more with the criminal and not the victims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Did I just hear a bunch of re-regs swallowing hard?

:pac:

That was for a different reason!

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I was quoting you...You stated he couldn't tell right from wrong...

Link?

Think the judge specifically said that while he did have mental health challenges, he could tell right from wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

According to the report he was psychiatrically assessed and there was no indication that he was unable to tell right from wrong and knew that what he was doing was wrong, yet persisted.

He wasn't just sending them emails disagreeing with their articles. He sent threats to them. You cannot send someone threats and engaged in threating behviour. He also seems to have sent an absolute barrage of messages, despite being asked to stop. That is harassment, not normal communication. It's as simple as that.

That isn't a freedom of speech issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Non violent crime should not lead to a multi year custodial sentence in my opinion.
    I'm sure plenty of it was vile but the quotes from the judge appear to be valid opinion, you can give feedback about a piece being self obsessive or narcissistic, that sounds like just his opinion, he didn't need to send it hundreds of times though. Is it really worth years in prison? Will that rehabilitate the offender? Nevermind that taxpayers have to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

A three-year prison sentence for calling them "wannabes, nobodies, whiteist, bigots, lefties and pseudo-intellectuals" seems bizarre, especially for a mentally ill recluse who left his home twice in 17 years.

It will also have the effect of chilling free speech in Ireland. People will now think twice about calling out female public figures on social media for fear of being hauled before the courts.

A three-year prison sentence for calling them "wannabes, nobodies, whiteist, bigots, lefties and pseudo-intellectuals" seems bizarre, especially for a mentally ill recluse who left his home twice in 17 years.

It will also have the effect of chilling free speech in Ireland. People will now think twice about calling out female public figures on social media for fear of being hauled before the courts.

People can react to any article on Twitter and social media. What you're not allowed is maintain a campaign of harassment for years at a time.

There's a bit of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think in this case (just guessing of course) that is not so much what he said, as how often he said it.
    I'm sure journalists get a lot of criticism (warranted and unwarranted), and I see it in here and AH all the time, but then it's not directed to the journo by mail or constant over several months/years.

tigger123 wrote: »
    People can react to any article on Twitter and social media. What you're not allowed is maintain a campaign of harassment for years at a time.

Numerous public figures on Twitter have armies of online opponents mocking and ridiculing them daily, sometimes carrying on for years. Should these critics all be thrown in prison for "maintaining a campaign of harassment"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

It won't have a chilling effect on freedom of speech and please stop trying to conflate this with having a right to reply.

Read the article : https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/his-campaign-of-harassment-against-us-went-on-for-years-female-writers-and-journalists-speak-out-after-internet-troll-jailed-for-three-years/ar-BBWKI21

"told to “break both legs” after she tweeted to promote an upcoming appearance on a television programme."

"tweeted that her housemate had gone out for the evening, he messaged “good, I'll be over soon” "

He also, amongst other things, trawled the internet looking for old photos of one of the victims sending them to her and so on.

One of the victims mentioned in the report received hundreds of messages.

This is absolutely not a freedom of speech issue. It's harassment / stalking.

Nobody is suggesting that people don't have a right to critique and respond to published articles in a normal and non harassing way.

• Advertisement

Mezzotint wrote: »
    It won't have a chilling effect on freedom of speech and please stop trying to conflate this with having a right to reply.

Read the article : https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/his-campaign-of-harassment-against-us-went-on-for-years-female-writers-and-journalists-speak-out-after-internet-troll-jailed-for-three-years/ar-BBWKI21

"told to “break both legs” after she tweeted to promote an upcoming appearance on a television programme."

"tweeted that her housemate had gone out for the evening, he messaged “good, I'll be over soon” "

He also, amongst other things, trawled the internet looking for old photos of one of the victims sending them to her and so on.

One of the victims mentioned in the report received hundreds of messages.

This is absolutely not a freedom of speech issue. It's harassment / stalking.

Nobody is suggesting that people don't have a right to critique and respond to published articles in a normal and non harassing way.

This sums it up very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Did I just hear a bunch of re-regs swallowing hard?

All them fellas on that never ending Louise O Neill thread are frantically deleting their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sure it'll get him out of the house at least.

Mezzotint wrote: »
    told to “break both legs” after she tweeted to promote an upcoming appearance on a television programme."

An evident play on "break a leg," often said to actors before they go on stage to wish them well. "Break both legs" could be interpreted as hoping the person does poorly. It's a stretch to interpret it as a threat.

Could be interpreted as a threat, I suppose, if he had credible information about where the person lived. But certainly not something that merits a custodial sentence.

So? It's not a crime to look for photos of people on the Internet, is it? Anything on the Internet should be regarded as public information accessible to anyone.

Could be interpreted as a threat, I suppose, if he had credible information about where the person lived. But certainly not something that merits a custodial sentence.
    Kate McEvoy was informed that the sender of the emails was in the area where she lived and once when she tweeted that her housemate had gone out for the evening, he messaged “good, I'll be over soon”

Could be?

An evident play on "break a leg," often said to actors before they go on stage to wish them well. "Break both legs" could be interpreted as hoping the person does poorly. It's a stretch to interpret it as a threat.

So? It's not a crime to look for photos of people on the Internet, is it? Anything on the Internet should be regarded as public information accessible to anyone.

You're going to an awful lot of effort to try to trivialise the despicable actions of this man.

Me thinks the poster doth protest too much.

The women in this case have released a joint statement. I think a very pertinent point they make, that some on here would do well to grasp, is "online harassment is harassment".

Why do so many think you can do what you want on the internet? If he was physically following these women and shouting at them in the street, you'd have no problem with his sentence.

The Internet can be a cesspit and people thinking they can do and say what they want is one of the worst aspects.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not seeing any "freedom of speech" angle in this at all(never mind that this is not America). There's a vast gulf between saying "I think you're talking crap and here's why..." and "I think you're talking crap and I know where you live..." repeated over years to several people. Vast gulf.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

She said she wasn't named in these pictures so he put a lot of effort into trying to find information on her. That's very salkerish behaviour.

Advertisement