Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafton Quarter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Can't understand all the outrage myself either. These terms have been used on tourism literature and so on for ages now.

These lights are also funded by businesses in the vicinity of Grafton Street, not just those on the street itself. It's not that surprising that they have been pushing for 'Grafton Quarter'.

Dublin Town businesses, who are funding the lights, are divided into the Creative District, Dame District, Grafton Quarter, Talbot District and Dublin One.

Dublin City Council and its councillors (some who notably have been jumping on the social media bandwagon by criticizing this) are delighted to be saving hundreds of thousands of Euro by making businesses pay for the lighting.

The Talbot District should be immediately renamed to the Talbot Sh1thole and carpet bombed, immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Keyzer wrote: »
    The Talbot District should be immediately renamed to the Talbot Sh1thole and carpet bombed, immediately.

Just gates at each end would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Bambi wrote: »
    What Dublin desperately needs is more bloody tourists.

I noticed that when I got off the Luas at Connolly and walked down towards Parnell and third to use a restroom

Sure we're at the stage where Irish people are calling toilets rest rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Sure we're at the stage where Irish people are calling toilets rest rooms.

Gender neutral rest rooms I'll have you know ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

It's weird, but not really a big deal, certainly not enough to get angry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

GLaDOS wrote: »
    It's not just Grafton Street, that's kinda the point.

Call the rest of the streets Grafton Street so, makes the same amount of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I like that quarter implies that there is more to the Grafton area than just that 1 street. Some lovely pubs and cafes in and around there and if they can piggyback off the "Grafton Street" reputation then more power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Call the rest of the streets Grafton Street so, makes the same amount of sense.

No.

We're not going to start renaming streets because people are offended by the creation of mini districts that are handy for tourists to navigate. As line of beauty points out it simply lets tourists know that there's more to the area than just Grafton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No.

We're not going to start renaming streets because people are offended by the creation of mini districts that are handy for tourists to navigate. As line of beauty points out it simply lets tourists know that there's more to the area than just Grafton street.

I wasn't being serious. You may have missed that. Do tourists have to be spoon fed everything? I managed to navigate cities without it needing to be cut up into twee little quarters for me.

I wasn't being serious. You may have missed that. Do tourists have to be spoon fed everything? I managed to navigate cities without it needing to be cut up into twee little quarters for me.

Sorry, I thought you were being serious.

There's a huge cohort of tourists that will not navigate cities without a tour guide, let alone a dedicated tour map denoting specific areas and what those areas are called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Is the Nollaig Shona Duit sign def gone? Please say no :(

I take the little ones into dublin every Christmas and that’s one of the “highlights” we look out for

Has it actually gone. It's on Wicklow Street isn't it? That Quarter sign looks like it's on Grafton Street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

what are the other 3 quarters called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

It's not worth the outrage - It's just a bit wanky. I'd put this at a 7 on my wankometer and 0 on the outrageometer.

Another annoying example is The Italian Quarter in Sligo, presumably named so because it's a street which has an Italian restaurant on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Culchie_85 wrote: »
    They're not forcing you to use the names.

But they are: you can't say "Grafton Quarter Me Hole!" without saying Grafton Quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

D3V!L wrote: »
    Just gates at each end would suffice.

Yeah, baffled as to how this got called a district. Once you step off it you're lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

what are the other 3 quarters called?
    Talbot, Dame and Creative apparently. Can't say I know where any of them are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

For anyone interested, this document has a map on page 2 of what is considered the Grafton Quarter by DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Mr.S wrote: »
    I really don't get the fuss around this.

Grafton Quarter has been on DCC tourist maps for a few years now, it's not exactly a new thing.

It promotes the area, what's the harm? It's not like they are renaming Grafton Street.

It's an excuse to put the price of everything up.

And then people being people, just pay the extra and wonder why they've no money.

Gentrification

It's a bad idea.
    It has nothing to do with tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

For anyone interested, this document has a map on page 2 of what is considered the Grafton Quarter by DCC.

Had a read of a good bit of that.
    What a load of rubbish.

To think someone was paid (probably hundreds of thousands of Euro) to produce that would sicken your hole.

All it is, is: "Here's a bunch of stuff that would look nice"

In a nut shell Pedestrian Zones everywhere, lots of plant boxes, lots of trees, lots of benches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Like everything else in Ireland at government or local governmentlever it all just optics, flounce bull****...

Just words......bloody expensive words vomited out by a bunch of arse$oles. Pissing away other people's money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'd prefer if they hadn't put it up. It's a meaningless name and the sign looks awful. Saying that I simply don't get the level of outrage expressed online over the last few days. If only people got worked up over any of the real issues affecting Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It’s only a couple of blocks from O’ Connell bridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I'd prefer if they hadn't put it up. It's a meaningless name and the sign looks awful. Saying that I simply don't get the level of outrage expressed online over the last few days. If only people got worked up over any of the real issues affecting Dublin!

It's just another example of bull**** & Shallow materialism posing as substance. Nothing exists unless it's a ****in # and rebranding and renaming solves the problem #helpthehomeless #endpoverty #savetheplanet #nothingtosee #itsstill****butwerebrandedit ....................

The real issues are never dealt with but the language used RJ o describe egg one then constantly gets renewed so no action every gets taken, but there's an illusion of action.

I was wondering when the "what about the homelessness" posts would turn up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anyone remember when the disastrously rushed Apple Maps app first launched in Ireland and any photos taken between Dame Street and Rathmines were tagged with "Angiery-Camden Core" as the location? :D:D:D

Among those I've seen who are pissed off about this, it's not so much the sign itself as the motivation and justifications behind it - "Businesses have been referring to the area as the Grafton Quarter for some time". A lot of folks read this and got irritated even if they didn't actually care all that much before, as the idea that businesses rather than residents and citizens should get to define areas really irks a lot of people. As one of my mates put it, they're sort of treating Grafton Street as if it was a privately owned shopping centre or something, and (maybe this is skewed because so many of my friends are musicians) they're tying this in with the anti-busking by-laws passed a number of years ago (directly tied to objections from business owners) and several other recent developments which essentially amount to "Grafton Street, run by and to the whims of resident businesses rather than resident people".

That's the sense I'm getting anyway. It's not so much about the sign itself as it is the implication behind it. People generally just don't like it when corporate authority is flexed in the public domain. This is so very obviously a corporate marketing initiative that people are basically saying "f*ck off, Grafton Street isn't just a big fancy billboard ye tossers".

The streets that span off Grafton Street offer a lot more than Poxy McDonalds Disney and Eir shops, but Grafton street is perceived as the shopping corridor.

This just brings tourists attention to what's in and around Grafton street. Calling it the Grafton quarter just expands the scope. The Grafton sphere, the Grafton wider centre, the Grafton district, the Grafton zone would have attracted just as much sneers.

It's marketing/morketing/mosheting... whatever you want to call it, but it takes tourists further than one street. It's not something to get upset about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Has it actually gone. It's on Wicklow Street isn't it? That Quarter sign looks like it's on Grafton Street

No last year it was at the top of grafton st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Reminds me of South Park's newly gentrified district.

SoDo SoPa

South of Downtown South Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's marketing/morketing/mosheting... whatever you want to call it, but it takes tourists further than one street. It's not something to get upset about.

That's exactly the problem though. In most peoples' eyes the Christmas lights are about festivity and making the place feel nice, not marketing. Businesses are welcome to use their own store fronts, websites, etc to advertise but Christmas lights hanging over a large public street should not be tied to business interests.

Of course, the fact that the council delegates the issue of funding and organising of the lights to a private entity is part of the problem. Sh!te like this is an inevitable result.

Again, the sign itself doesn't bother people. It's more of a "Grafton Street a public area, not your privately owned shopping centre" sentiment that's behind the irritation over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

I think there was a "Team" of part time or wannabe influencers employed on the rebrand. It stinks of that level of vacuous stupidity

This

Advertisement