Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Classic Car in UK,

Options
  • 11-11-2019 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am planning to buy a Classic car in UK.
    Can somebody advise me:
    1. Process of registration
    2. Insurance.
    3. Do they need NCT?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

azer121 wrote: »
    I am planning to buy a Classic car in UK.
    Can somebody advise me:
    1. Process of registration
    2. Insurance.
    3. Do they need NCT?

1. Get the full V5C (logbook) from the seller and bring it home to Ireland. Give it to the Revenue when you make your appointment within 7 days to register the car in Ireland. Note, VRT will be payable. €200 if car is over 30 yrs old, more if not.

2. See the insurance sticky thread. Main take away, you'll need another policy on a 'modern' car in your own name before someone will quote you to get classic insurance.

3. Only 40 yr old cars are exempt from NCT. Cars between 30 and 40 only get tested every 2 years. If the car you import has a valid MOT you can get an NCT cert for the remaining duration of the MOT.

What are you thinking of buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 azer121

Thanks Dades,
    I am planning to buy a Jaguar E Type 1971FHC.

Advertisement