Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When will the body catch up with the mind?

Options
  • 11-11-2019 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the answer? I was fully convinced there was a pb on the cards yesterday but the body was having none of it.

The quote is from Stephen Scullion’s pod cast and thought it was very fitting title for a training log.

I got back into running after a two year break, my second daughter was born and didn’t like too sleep much and I got lazy. The weight was seriously creeping up on me.

So this time last year when up to Run Logic and got fitted for a pair of shoes as my old pair where worn down from general wear and tear. Did a few runs with them but was waiting until the new year to really get stuck in.

I had no intention of racing at all just wanted to get some fitness back in. I spent the first four months plodding along. As it happens started looking at my old log and one thing pointed out at me my Marathon time was poor felt I could do better after mile 16 just went downhill. I was happy with my old pbs except the full marathon so really wanted a better time.

My old pbs:

5k: 21.56
    10k: 46.47
    5mile: 40.11 (2019)
    10 mile: 1:19.05
    Half marathon: 1.47.44
    Full marathon: 4.40.52

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Welcome back to the logs, best of luck with the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Week 26:

Easy run: 5.02k @ 6:06per/km

Effort felt harder than it really should have not surprising after yesterday’s race.

I’m following Jack Daniels 4 Week cycle Marathon Plan it’s 26 weeks with 2 intensive sessions and the rest easy runs with easy week every fourth week.

The target is Cork City Marathon next year with the possibility of doing Bohermeen Half in March.

The first week is all easy runs then will get into the sessions next week.

12th November

Finished work at 7 and headed to the gym spent an hour at strength training, it’s handy as the gym is right beside work so been going for six months and find it’s helping a lot feel a lot stronger.

I’ve also cleaned the diet up I started the year weighing 85kg and as of now I’m floating at 72kg. So very happy with the work so far and I’m hoping all the effort will put me under the 4h mark for Cork next year.

14th November

16.01k @ 5:39km pace

Left my daughter in crèche and started my run easy pace according to my plan is 5:44-6:14 so wanted to keep is at the faster end of things. It’s was a very lonely run met one other runner on the road. Overall very happy with the run I’m off every Wednesday so I’ll get my Q2 session done and then on Sunday do the Q1 session.

Thursday 14th

Work the long shift on Thursday so finish at 9 and headed to the gym. As I’ve less than an hour I do circuit training so I can get everything done.

Saturday 16th

I was meant to get out Friday but daughter wanted to go down town so that was scrapped. Got out for a 5k before work

5.02k @ 5.55km/pace

Sunday 17th

21.26 @ 5.41km/pace

Had to wrap up for this very cold out dis morning, didn’t bother monitoring the watch as was trying to warm up.

First few kms where a bit fast but felt good so didn’t really slow it down really happy with the run longest run this year so far and took my time to build up to it, next week will be some hard sessions.

Total mileage done 47.23km

Week 25:

A bit of a lazy week only got the main sessions done due to family/work.

Tuesday 19th

Hit the gym after work doing strength training, I did try and do a few sessions on the treadmill but found it very boring.

Wednesday 20th

I really wasn’t in gear for this and anything that went wrong did go wrong. I bought a new watch earlier this year and still getting use to it Vivo active 3 love the watch but find I have to put on/off auto lap even tho I’ve the session set up it would beep every 1k and be messed up on garmin connect.

2e + 2x1t w/1min rests + 3x3 min H (I pace) w/2min jg + 4x 200R w/200jg + 1e

Headed out after leaving my daughter at crèche after 1k watched beeped forgot to turn it off so had to stop and start again. I couldn’t hit my target paces I wasn’t far off them I always find hard to hit paces with these sessions at the start of the plan but it’s still off putting none the less.

The 200s went very quick so much that I thought I put 20m instead of 200m but I actually got that part right!!

I did do a longer easy run at the end as wanted to get a few more easy km in.

15.75km

Thursday 21st

Circuit training in the gym after work work mates think I’m mad going to the gym after 11 hour shift It’s not ideal but I’d be late home from work any way and kids are in bed so they don’t get affected better than going on a different evening. The less my training that effects family life the better.

Sunday 24th

19k or 90mins

I decided to do the 19k as didn’t have much done this week only problem was I was in no humour to go out didn’t feel great may have something to do with the Chinese the night before.

It was a great morning for it eventually got out at 8. I find a smoothie a a lot easier to digest in the morning I’m not waiting for an hour before heading out. I’d have 40g of oats and any fruit going prept the night before.

The run it self went great Km ticked away nicely heart rate was sitting at 158 and pace was around 5.34/km.
    Very low mileage might not improve this week as I’ve a lot on.

19.34km @ avg 5.31/km

Weekly km 35

• Advertisement

Week 24:

Another week done, like the previous just got the two weekly sessions done and one gym session.

Tuesday 26th

Got the normal gym session done after work.

Wednesday 27th

1e + 3m + 1e +3m +1e

Decided to do the Boyne 10k route, the start point is a mile away so is ideal for me. The first 3 mile at m pace was hard but manageable. Heading up the hill pace suffered a bit. A bit relieved when got to the mile easy and just did this around the old bridge estate and the finished the route with the other 3m at m pace.

14.39km

Sunday 1st:

30mins easy + 6m @ m pace

It was a very m pace week, once again I did the Boyne 10k route as it a bit hill and no real point doing a flat route

Run went well and happy with the pace, looking ahead of the plan there are a few more m paced runs and next one is 8 miles so hopefully will be able for it as the legs are quite heavy.

16.59km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

The boyne 10k is a bit hilly ???? Mountainous more like !!Fair play doing a session on that route!

Week 23:

Monday 2nd

Managed to get out for a easy 5k, kept it nice and easy. Why is it other runners that always give you plenty of space when passing, I was going along the footpath and cars where half parked on it. A man with his dog stoped to let me by normalcy I’d just go in the road of safe to do so where I passed him knew his face from a few races thanked him as I passed.

5.04km

Tuesday 3rd

Gym work

Wednesday 4th

2e + 3t w 1 min rest + 8 x 200s w 200m jog 2e

I wasn’t to confident going into this session, had planned to easy run to the river and do the miles along the river so I had no disruptions but digging was happening so scraped that just looped around Dublin road around the March road. Had the complete opposite on Monday’s run car gave me no space so had thorn bushes scrape the legs of me.

mile repeats where 4.49,4.42 and 4.46

The 200s didn’t go so well meant to be around 52s but never hit got a stitch at 3rd set. Even slowing the jog down didn’t help that’s just the way it goes.

200 splits

54,55,59,53,53,56,58 and 55.

13.17km

Thursday 5th

Gym work

Late out of work meant didn’t get a decent workout done might move it on a Friday.

Sunday 8th

2e + 4t w 1 min recovery + 2e

Didn’t know if this was going ahead as the weather was terrible but just got ready just in case it calmed down, the rain stoped but it was still windy so just headed out any way. I did the same route as Wednesday as it was the same distance.

The only cover I had from the wind was half way in the 2nd mile and the third thanks to cover from the trees.

Mile splits:4.58,4.43,4.42 and 5.00

It was hard session but glad I could get it done.

13.66km

This week is all easy runs

This week was all easy runs but I took it as an easy week full stop. Got one run done 8k on Wednesday and that’s it!! No gym work either and think it will be this way until Christmas.

I’m a bit annoyed but couldn’t be avoided as people are calling sick in work and cover is needed. So will have a better look at the plan and try work out something.

With Christmas out of the way finally got out for a run, this was my first week with a second day off in a month.

Sunday 29th

10.44k @ 5.31 pace in 57:35

Just got out to stretch the legs with nearly two weeks of no running it’s cutting close. There is only 22 weeks till Cork and 21 weeks in the plan. So will have to get stuck in next week. Hope every had a good Christmas and a Happy new year.

• Advertisement

Week 22:

2e + 2 x1t w2min rest+ 3x 1k 3min jg + 6 x 200w 200jg rec + 1e

I wasn’t feeling confident going into this session after being off for two weeks I’d be happy enough getting it done near my ideal pace.

T pace target 4.47
    Splits 4:46 and 4:55

I headed along the county roads and furling the 2nd split had a dog chase me frightened the life out of me so stoped to confront the dog and stop him chasing me should be tied up could have easily been knocked down with him chasing me. Didn’t stop the watch and couldn’t feel the time back so happy with the two splits.

Km splits 4:53,5:13 and 4:50

Target pace was 4:24 so was really off on this but realistically didn’t expect to hit that time 2nd split was a bit up hill and knocked the life out of me.

200s splits target 53 secs

56,56,56,54,56 and 56

Bit of a theme here another dog went charging at me durling the 200s think that’s the reason for the 54s split.

Over all happy to get a decent session done far from perfect but it’s banked and a little more confident after it.

17.64km

Legs where heavy so decided on a recovery run later on no dogs chasing me in this one. Still feel a bit heavy Sunday is a 22k easy long run no m paced kms.

4.60km @ 7.08 pace

Will and try and do a park run once a month when It’s all easy runs just good practice for racing. Feel I need to race a bit more.

Friday 3rd

Had planed to do about 10k easy but after the first 3k knew wouldn’t be able for it and cut the run short just about managed 6k. Not what I planned for but probably what was needed. Nothing will be on for today I’ve a 22k run for tomorrow morning.

I haven’t gone to the gym yet, trying to make everything fit into the week would like to go back and do three days a week but finding the time is the hard part.

6.01km @ 6:14 pace

Sunday 5th

Long run 21.1km

Didn’t have a great prep for this run pizza the night before didn’t help. Got out a little bit later than I’d have liked to. It was a bit fast than I liked to have it but happy with the run.

The first 5k the heart rate was 134 thought the watch was broken was figuring around for it a bit but after a while it got back to normal. The last 2km I was fading so will have to use some gels.

Next week is all pmp runs so will get some gels and try a few different ones. I had planed to do bohermeen half but decided against it I feel that there is plenty of pmp runs highest being 12 miles should be more than enough to get an idea where I’m at.

21.1 km @ 5:30pace
    49k for the week

Week 20:

Monday

Recovery run 5.01km @ 6.21 pace

Legs where heavy from Sunday’s run, Got out late for this started off a bit quick but ran it by feel and gradually got slower.

Didn’t get to the gym on Tuesday but really need to get my arse into gear and start back.

Wednesday

1e + 5m +1e + 4m + 1e

I was up early with the little one so just prepped my smoothie, left the little one in creshe but was still a bit hungry so just grabbed a banana that my daughter half ate.

I tried to keep the easy mile easy I have a tendency to go a bit too quick and think it affects the rest of the session. The target pace is 5.06 but this is all based on a 5k time so not a realistic target. Found the first part hard but manageable the last 1km was hilly so time suffered a bit

5m @ 5.11km/pace

Took it handy for the 1e

The second part of the session was a mess for the last part didn’t have a route so was all over the place too many hills so the pace suffered a bit, but over all happy with the session.

4m @ 5.26km\pace

Total 18.05 km

Sunday 12th

30mins easy + 8m at marathon effort + cool down

I was a lot better prepared for this run, got two sis gels to test them out on this run. I also took a few grapes just to wash the gels down.

Headed out at 8 still a bit dark out but should be bright before I hit the roads. Kept the 30min as easy as possible just enjoying the scenery as was heading up Moriningtown along the river.

I had planed out the route so the m pace stuff would be on open road and very little traffic so there was no stoping really wanted to give this a good go. Met some runners on the road and acknowledged them as I always do, at this point had 40mins done and was chugging down the first gel it was actually nice and took a few grapes as well just to wash it down. There was a few small changes inclines on the route but kept the pace around 5.20 which I was happy with.

After the 5 mile I took the second gel about 120mins in then went to get some grapes but was fiddling around with the bloody bag I kept them in eventually got one out and ripped the bag and they fell on the ground will have to find some other way to carry them.

Met a lot of old club mates on the way back into town and said hello to them. I have thought about rejoins my old club but I changed job a year and a half ago and times just don’t suit I do miss the craic in training but I’m happy enough training away on my own for now.

I was listening to the Run free podcast with Ryan Hall a few good tips if you don’t mind the bible talk in it.

8 miles @ marathon effort 5:16 pace
    Total 19:28km

Week 21

Monday:

Recovery run
    5.01k @ 6:48pace

Ran this by feel and as each 1km went by it got slower, really find these help an awful lot the next day.

Thursday: Gym

Finally got to the gym and did my usual session but more off a circuit training as time is limited finish work at 9 and gym closes at ten.

Sunday:

It was a messed up week and really to get my act together. I decided to switch this week as an easy week but it means I’ve a 4 weeks with two q sessions but I prefer not to have missed it this week.

Long run 21.10k @ 5.30 pace

Had to wait and let the frost clear a bit headed out at 9 we’ll wraped up. I took one of the protein bars from Aldi just see how it settled. I didn’t get the burst of energy I got from the gels so won’t use them any more.

The run went fine bar slowing down for icy patches on the road plenty of other runners out this morning.

Monday:

Got to the gym and did light strength training and 2.71km on the treadmill to loosen the legs a bit.

Tuesday:

Rest, Got my new Saucony Ride Iso in the post. Did a lot more mileage in them about 1300km!! Dont know how I didn’t get injured putting it down to gym work.

Wednesday:

2e + 3 x 1t w/min rest + 8 x 200 w 200jg rec + cool down

Target pace 4.47- 4.58

1st mile 4.42
    2nd mile 4.45
    3rd mile 4.48

200r target 52 sec

54,48,50,54,56,52,47,and 52

Happy with this session did the t pace stuff on the Boyne 10k route. The border walk part was slippy and did the 200s on the harder surface.

Thursday: Rest

Friday:

Strength and conditioning with 1k easy on the treadmill and 1k at fast 4.40 pace.

Saturday:

Oldbridge Park Run:

Course pb 24.17

Cycled to the course and didn’t get much of a warm up. The target was to beat my pb and hold 4.40 pace for the first 4K then race the last 1k.

The start was a bit crowded but managed to get into some free space, the grounds where very mucky and slippy in parts. Got to the first hill and powered up.

The second km was passing a few other runners out and slowed it a bit down didn’t want to push too much. My watch he was at 134 which was way wrong only the km it peaked at 178

New pb 23.10!!

Definitely feel the gym work is paying off found the hills a lot easier.

Sunday:

2e + 4 x 1t + cool down

Didn’t know if I should go ahead with the session but was prepared to turn it into a long run if it was needed

1st mile 4.38
    2nd mile 4.37
    3rd mile 4.44
    4th mile 4.47

Found this hard but manageable over all a good week banked

Monday 27th

Rest day

Tuesday 28th

Strength & conditioning

Easy recovery on treadmill

Wednesday 29th

2e + 2t with 2 mins rec + 3 x 3 mins w 3min jg rec + 8 x 200 w 200jg + cool down

This was a tough session hit 4.59 pace so happy with that, the road was blocked for the 3 mins and put me off my stride kinda got lost so had to back track. The 200s went ok didn’t hit most of the targets but got it done.

Thursday 30th

Did about 5k on the treadmill after work, pace didn’t match the watch I kept the heart rate at 130

Friday 31st

Rest

Saturday 1st

Easy run 6.64k

Sunday 2nd

24k or 2 hours

Didn’t manage 24k but got a decent 22k done averaged around 5.41 pace felt it on the last 2k.

Monday 3rd:

Rest

Tuesday 4th:

Strength & conditioning

Wednesday:

Am 2e + 6m + 1e + 4m + cool-down

Decided to go warm up down to the river and run up to old bridge all along the river has been re surfaced with tarmac and it’s a lot easier to run on. The only trouble I had was the wooden park of the border walk was covered in frost and could feel my feet slip with each step so slowed it down but still managed to keep the pace.

Got to Oldbridge and did a lap of the park run route
    I knew I would slow down here but really wanted to get limit runs on all hard surfaces. Took a gel after 40mins. The average pace for the 6m was 5.04.

Found it tough on the grass to decided to do the rest along the border walk/ river took a second gel and off I went started off a bit slow trying to hit some speed had to double back as was out of tarmac and didn’t want to run in roads. I averaged 5.05 pace for the 4m.

Total km 22.01

Pm: Had to go to the shop so did a rec run kept it slow after I got home did some foam rolling.

3.58k @ 7.14 pace

I was looking at doing the Carlingford Half on the 7th as I missed out on Bohermeen But seen on Tuesday there where 100 places left but it wouldn’t take my details but got my place the second time around. This ties in nicely as that week I’ve a 12m run that Sunday. My course best is 1:59:10 but can do that in training so do I race or use it as a m paced run?

Race Bohermeen, it will give you a proper idea where you are fitness wise heading into Cork.

• Advertisement

Thursday 6th

Headed to the gym after work did normal light strength and conditioning work, getting a little boring after 8 months doing the same thing but will change things after the marathon.

Friday 7th

Headed out after I got the little one asleep just an easy 6.24k to build the mileage.

Saturday:

Rest

Sunday:

3e + 10m

I was excited to get this done as it would give me a good idea of where I’m at with the half next month, the excitement didn’t last with this storm approaching. It was far too dangerous to go on the roads so only option was cancel the run or dreadmill session. So I went for the treadmill. It was a disaster should have known I hate the treadmill took a gel before the session and had water with electrolyte tab. Warm up went ok but gym had no air conditioning so was sweating got that done sipping water every 10 mins.

After 49mins took another gel and watered that down. The sweat was rolling off me and ended up stopping the work out after 5k for a min drank a lot of water and started back up for an extra 3k after that I called it quits I couldn’t take it any more on the treadmill.

So about 8k done at m pace really disappointed with this as I really looking forward to it. I have thought about repeating this week but I’ve only a one week buffer if any thing happens. Just will have to continue with the plan it’s hard when things don’t go to plan. I’ve had some great sessions lately I guess they all can’t go to plan.

Typical got a dose of the flu, all I need right now.
    Should have done enough for the half in four weeks time. Just going to rest up for the week and hopefully be a lot better next week is all easy runs so it’s not too bad.

I was looking back at my old log and just noticed the half marathon I’ve always improved on my time so hopefully I can continue this trend.

Dublin Half 2012 2.34
    Bohermeen Half. 2013 1.59
    Clontarf Half. 2015 1.47

As expected no running or gym this week, thankfully flu has passed.

I’ve decided to keep next week as In the plan all easy runs. I will then use my buffer week after the half in three weeks so I don’t miss any quality sessions.

I’m looking forward to the half, feel a pb is achievable if all goes right on the day.

Monday 17th

8.09k @ 5.58pace

No Q sessions this week all easy runs got out after work for this run had to slow it down the second and third k where a bit fast.

Tuesday 18th

Gym Strength & conditioning

Wednesday 19th

Easy run 15.01k @ 5.58 pace

Headed out for this early think it didn’t stop raining for the duration of it. Didn’t realise I selected cycle instead or run on my watch so was going by heart rate. The first 5k was around 148bpm but the pace was too quick. Eventually got it back down to 148bpm.

Thursday 20th

Gym session

Friday 21st

Rest day

Saturday 22nd

Rest day

Sunday 23rd

Long run 25k @ 5.56pace

Got out a bit later than normal as the other half was out last night and had lie in. After Wednesdays run found the breakfast wasn’t really cutting it so added more oats to my smoothie. Only had two gels as one burst but took some grapes with me as well. Really wanted to keep this on the slower side of things as will be starting to taper a bit for the half. There was a local ish 5k I was tempted to do it but decided not to it wouldn’t really benefit me goi g into the half in two weeks.

After 47 mins took a gel and a few grapes felt good and was keeping the pace around 6min/km. Didn’t feel hungry like the previous run so will stick to taking gels every 40-45mins. When I hit 20k the pace was a bit fast hitting 5.35 a good sign I could pick the pace up but wanted to keep it slow.

Over all happy with this week about 48k done so a decent week after been off with the flu. I felt I could have possibly have pushed the mileage maybe 30k. If I could keep that pace for the full I’d be delighted.

Monday 24th

Rest

The legs where heavy from Sunday’s run so just decided to rest.

Tuesday 25th

Rest

Got a bit lazy and didn’t make the gym

Wednesday 26th

2e + 2t + 3 x 3 min H w/2 min jg + 8 x 200s w/ 200 jg + cool down

I messed up this session last time I did it so was hoping for a better outcome, I had planed on doing this along the river when it’s generally flat but did the Boyne 10k route instead.

Thought I was going to be running in the snow so wrapped up, the warm up got me about 1k on the route and started the 2t. It was hard going but didn’t expect to hit my t pace (4.47) but would be happy getting near it first mile done in 4.54 pace. The second mile went well until I came to a flooded road so stoped the watch and climbed the bank to the other side and started again second mile 4.49 pace.

3 x 3 min:

No hills for this part so I was expecting to hit my pace (4.24). Only problem as I got to the border walk there was ice so had to slow it down a bit or risk falling.

1st 4.34
    2nd. 4.34
    3rd. 4.36

8x200s

Got these done along the new tarmac laid done so it’s flat enough did the first four heading down the river and the other 4 back up against a headwind. The target time is 54 secs

Sets where 53,54,56,55 against the wind 54,55,53 and 51.

Total run 16.45k

So next week is the half but according to the plan I’ve to replace the Q2 session and do the Q1 session which is 20min easy and 12m on Wednesday, seems a lot then race a half on Sunday.

While Bohermeen is not a target race I still want a good race so a little unsure how to approach this.

Thursday 27th

Rest

Friday 28th

Rest

Saturday 29th

Rest

Sunday 1st

Long run 20.01k @ 5.40pace

A very lazy week due to work commitments.

I was really annoyed with myself with this run I had the intention of taking it slow around 6 pace but I was trailing runners for about 4K and had to pass them but then they tried to catch me so I sped up and ended doing 3k around 5.15 pace bloody stupid thing to do!!!

The run was enjoyable apart from that 3k, Any way got my number and t shirt in the post for Bohermeen next Sunday looking forward to it.

I’ve decided I’m not tapering next week and will do the session on Wednesday, I feel the plan has got me this far and I got some decent results so why abandon it now. I’ve had a look back on some trading back in January and had no issue doing 8m @ m effort and running and running a session on Sunday. It will be a great indication of where I’m at. I’ve a race plan for Sunday and looking forward to getting it done.

Monday 2nd

The legs where heavy so opted for a rest day.

Tuesday 3rd

Didn't anything today as wanted to keep the legs fresh for Wednesday session.

Wednesday 4th

20min e + 12m

Against the clock as my daughter had an appointment at 11:30 but really should have just done 1k easy.

3k easy avg pace 6min/km

In future will need to do less road running as Im finding my right leg tender as I run towards traffic will have to use old bridge more often.
    Not sore but just noticed it and its what kinda stood out where I thought about it.

I was wearing pretty much what I intend on running the Half with but took my my under layer with me and regretted it has it was very warm.
    The first 5k splits where 4.59,5.09,5.14,5.09 and 5.04 little bit fast but slowed it a bit as m effort is 5.06 pace.

I had a long inline for the next 5k but with a gel in me they felt good they where 4.58,4.56,5.02,5.03 and 5.03 by the end of this I was feeling the heat. The last few splits where not great 5.09,5.00,5.25,5.37,5.25,5.43 and 5.22 this was going up a decent incline but should have done better all the same.

So did 16k at m effort not a bad session at all, Im happy enough I did it but still think it might effect my race Sunday.
    I have another 2 sessions with 12m runs so it will be interesting how they compare over this training plan.

I won't be doing any gym work until next week I want to feel as fresh as possible for Sunday.

Best of luck tomorrow D, your in good shape, relax and enjoy it. Run well!!

Thursday 5th

Rest

Friday 6th

Easy run 4.57k

Took this nice and slow kept it at 6min/km pace legs still sore from Wedenday so wanted to loosen them up a bit. I was tempted to do 1k @ m effort but didn’t think it would benefit me.

Looking forward to the race tomorrow. Found out the route has been changed a bit and goes the opposite way now from the last time I did it seven years ago.

Feeling confident for the race and think a pb achievable and hope to continue the pb trend with the half marathon distance. I didn’t sign up for Cork yet as can see it being cancelled but will continue will training regardless.

Have the day off today so will be doing as little possible.

• Advertisement

Bohermeen Half Marathon

The little one was not well so didn’t get a decent nights sleep but I’m kinda use to it at this stage. Had my gear ready to go all very organised.

I had a target of 1.45 thought it was achievable and felt in good shape despite my reservations about Wednesday session felt it took a lot out of me and since I started running it was drilled into me taper, taper taper. So naturally I was a bit hesitant doing that session but as it wasn’t the main goal I just went with it.

I arrived about 10:20 and got one of the shut buses up to the club house and qued for the toilet this took ages nearing 10:47. I took one gel before the race and had three left for the race, jogged down to the starting line ready to go.

1-5k

I was a bit behind the 2hr pacers my own fault should have got there earlier, off we went I spent the first 5k passing people where possible while staying in the middle wish part of the road first k done in 4.49 a little fast but ok then turned right on to the motor way not much space here either so continued passing where space was available but the long incline gaps where opening and took advantage of that. Splits for the first 5k where 4.49,4.46,4.41,4.44 and 4.50.

5-10k

Struggled to get a gel after 30 mins bloody zip on my shorts got stuck eventually got one and put the rapper back in my pocket I then heard a splat bloody dropped a gel I wasn't going back for it, just will take take the other gel little bit later but was hoping a runner picked it up for me. This part of the race was the slowest for me preferred the old route. Hated seeing the 12 mile marker only reminded me how far I have left to do. There was great support leading toward and along the club house. Splits where 4.55,4.51,4.55,5.00 and 5.01.

11k - 15k

Passing the club house the heavens opened up with a bit of hail thrown in for good measure and it was great cooled me down, had a few brief exchanges with other runners giving out about the weather. It was refreshing and the cold rain put a spring in my step hit 4.46 for that km. The legs where getting tired and heavy the splits reflected that. 5.04,4.46,4.52,4.54 and 4.58.

16k -21.1k

Took my last gel didn't feel any better after it got to the water station and nearly injested it took off the cap and took as much as possible before throwing it to the side of the road. Maths is not my strong point never mind trying to work out my time while racing but I knew if I wanted a pb Id have to really work for it. If I kept the pace under 5 id be ok. The last two miles where tough seeing people pass me going strong, didn't see the 12 mile marker quick check with the watch 1.1k to missed the marker then on the left seen the club house and I just lifted the legs and went for it. Passing a few on the home straight delighted to have it finished and a new pb 1.43!!!

I really had to work for this and was defiantly one of my toughest races to date. I think the body is starting to catch up with the mind.

Advertisement