Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Invisible Man

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think I'll see it on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Was looking forward to this. Love Leigh Whannel’s work. Was good in parts but ultimately feel it could have been better and as another poster mentioned, much of it was too slow. 6/10 - overall disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I didnt read the whole thread so I may have missed this but was there any particular reason why the sister was being such a rude b!tch to the waiter who asked them for their drinks order? I get that she didn't want any interruptions and was probably projecting but that seemed way over the top for the situation and she was downright nasty for no reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it this evening, and I thought was it very good. Special effects were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I really enjoyed this. The look, the sound, or lack thereof, and the acting were great. It does lose some of it's foreboding appeal in the last act but it's still a very entertaining ride and one I'll enjoy watching again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Homelander

Fairly good movie. Considering it cost almost nothing to make as far as Hollywood movies go, it's a fairly slick and effective production. Wasn't mad about the end act, but equally it wasn't terrible, and the film in general is very entertaining and there are one or two really terrific moments.

The part
    in the restaurant, predictable, even expected, but just the way it's crafted really hits you in the gut!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Don't know if I can handle much more of Elisabeth Moss' tortured gurn face though

She does seem typecast in the one role but she is a good actress

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭p to the e

An enjoyable way to spend a few hours.

Positives:
    • Normally can't get on board with Moss but she really is the gel that holds this film together. She's not afraid to look absolutely wretched and she has a great crazy face. I think she would make a decent comic book villain.
    • Decent BWARRRRMMM-y synthy score.
    • Some genuine scares and jumps.

Negatives:
    • Could have done with a little trimming down. In fact it was a little slow to get going initially.
    • The trailer showed a few scares that would have been great unseen.
    • Travellers just can't come into a cinema and be quiet. Probably irrelevant.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Went and seen this yesterday.

It was ok but nothing great. They could have gave it any sort of name.

It was more like a movie like ''Scream'' than a movie about an invisible man.

It was too long and dragged out in so many parts.

It was also very predictable in a lot of parts too.

There was some tense parts in it.

Overall I would only give it 5 out of 10

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I like the fact that Whannell had a variety of genres blended together that worked quite well overall. With some tweaking this could have been really good. The pacing wasn't the best, including a build-up that was a little too slow for me, but that aside it was a smart film, with some very well directed set-pieces. Moss did a great job as lead. Special effects were minimal, but very effective. I'd give it a 6.5, but give it a high recommendation for those who like clever low-budget films from up-and-coming writer-directors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is on sky movies already...due to coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

good film

did he wash
    all the paint off or just leave with it on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have to say I was a tad disappointed with this.
    The first hour I thought was excellent, but it went downhill and
    the twists with the brother being involved was fairly obvious, as was the fact she was going to use the suit again she had tucked away, I also don't get why the cop couldn't believe the abusive partner was involved...after a magic invisible suit was being used....moss was excellent in it...also...would a restaurant not have cameras...also paint does not wash off that easy...the suit also seemed to make the person a superhero, did you also not need the machine in the basement to make you invisible
    5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I thought it was good. I think the biggest plot hole is
    How he followed her so easily, she went from her friends house to his house and he was suddenly there too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was reminded of It Follows, both movies that utilised a sense of dread in letting the camera linger on otherwise mundane, sometimes empty spaces. Though whereas the 2014 film turned the screw with the potential threat of a stranger off in the distance but approaching, here that space was used to infer someone might be already there. Just standing in the corner. Occasional points of view shots reinforcing that unease. This was a brilliantly balanced piece of tension and atmosphere from Leigh Whannell: never indulging in excessive jump scares, using the quiet emptiness of rooms to their fullest. The story did kinda go off the rails a little in the third act, but not to a ruinous degree all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I really this. It was the last movie I saw at the cinema.

I hope the Gosling Wolfman movie is something similar.

I was hoping though that Blumhouse was going to try a lower budget dark universe series.

I’d love to see these monsters fighting each other and Prodigium lead by Van Helsing and the movies wouldn’t need to be massive budget.

Show Prodigium being set up in medieval times after the heroes battle Dracula. In the 18th century the cross path with Frankenstein. Then jump to Victorian times for Jekyll &Hyde, Invisible Man and Wolfman and resurrect Dracula & Frankenstein

Advertisement