Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Men's Day: Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Options
  • 09-11-2019 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭

A thread for all things relating to this. Hopefully it won't simply be "smart" comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

https://internationalmensday.com/objectives-of-imd/
    OBJECTIVES OF INTERNATIONAL MEN’S DAY

The 6 Pillars of International Men’s Day

To promote positive male role models; not just movie stars and sports men but every day, working class men who are living decent, honest lives.

To celebrate men’s positive contributions to society, community, family, marriage, child care, and to the environment.

To focus on men’s health and wellbeing; social, emotional, physical and spiritual.

To highlight discrimination against men; in areas of social services, social attitudes and expectations, and law

To improve gender relations and promote gender equality

To create a safer, better world; where people can be safe and grow to reach their full potential..

The School of Nursing and Midwifery at NUI Galway will host a Men’s Health Symposium focusing on the current issues that affect men’s health across their lifespan. The free event is aimed at health professionals and allied professionals who have an interest in men’s health and wellbeing, taking place on International Men’s Day on Tuesday, 19 November.
    https://www.advertiser.ie/Galway/article/111257/nui-galway-to-host-mens-health-symposium-on-international-mens-day

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I fully support the International Men's Day. I know many if not most men will think this event is a bit of a joke and that men don't really need a day to mark their issues - and that this is probably being promoted by male feminist "beta/gamma cuck" types, but...

...how can issues affecting men to their detriment - like suicide, inability/unwillingness to talk to others about their problems, mental health issues, drug abuse, alcoholism, unfavourable treatment in child custody cases and domestic violence where the perpretator is a female partner - be properly tackled without proper discussion which this event can only help to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,844 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

based on some of the stuff i saw last year , the feminists will try to appropriate parts of it and make it about them

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Marcos

silverharp wrote: »
    based on some of the stuff i saw last year , the feminists will try to appropriate parts of it and make it about them

Of course they will, it’s in their playbook. They tried this a couple of years ago using some of their “allies.” They’ll probably concentrate on the last two objectives and downplay the others as they don’t fit the prescribed narrative.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,844 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

once I see "Toxic masculinity" a bit of a red flag?

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/plymouth-international-mens-day-2019-conference-tickets-72231074087
    Plymouth International Men's Day Conference celebrates positive male role models in Plymouth and raises awareness of men's issues.

About this Event

The aim of International Men's Day is to celebrate positive male role models in Plymouth and raises awareness of men's issues. These include topics such as men's health, diversity, toxic masculinity, coping with bereavement and the prevalence of male suicide.

Each year the event has gone from strength to strength in the UK and is marked and celebrated by a variety of organisations in the private, public and charitable sectors across the country. Many have used it to highlight the need to provide more support from men and boys as well as the support they already provide.

IMD in the UK takes a gender inclusive approach and therefore believes in ensuring that issues affecting women and girls are also resolved.

It also recognises the intersection between gender and other factors such as race and sexuality which can compound the inequalities affecting men and boys.

We will follow that same ethos at the Plymouth conference.

The Plymouth conference aims to celebrate positive male role models, provide a forum for open discussion and provide access to health care support

Throughout the afternoon we will hear from local and national speakers from diverse backgrounds covering a broad range of topics appropriate to the issue that men face on a daily basis.

There will be ample opportunity for delegates to mingle, meet and learn from each other and from the various organisations and exhibitors supporting the conference.

Further information can be found on the website https://plymouthimd.co.uk and by following Plymouth International Men's Day on Facebook and Twitter

We look forward to welcoming you to our inaugural conference. Please share this great occasion with friends and on social media

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

silverharp wrote: »

yup, red flag. Even with the best of intentions it's about regulation, and anybody who says toxic masculinity should be ingored imo.

For what it is worth:
    https://twitter.com/UCDMidwifery/status/1194551125392986112/photo/1

http://www.ucd.ie/medicine/whatson/title,472485,en.html
    Tuesday 19th November 2019 from 12:45pm at Kevin Barry Gallery, UCD Charles Institute
    Add to calendar
    International Mens Day | Leading by Example

International Men’s Day 2019 takes place next Tuesday, 19th November. The theme for this year is “Men Leading by Example”.

To mark the occasion and to celebrate all the great men who lead by example and support healthy living, we would like to invite you to an event in the Kevin Barry Gallery in the Charles Institute at 12.45 pm on the 19th November.

Following some light refreshments, Brian Mullins, UCD Director of Sport/Health Promotion, will lead us on the Millennium Walk, a beautiful 3.2 km woodland walk through campus. The walk will take approximately 35 minutes.

We would be delighted if as many staff as possible - men and women - were able to join us for lunch and/or this walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

International Men’s Day: 6 celebs who’ve helped redefine masculinity in 2019

1. Gareth Thomas for his continuous openness and honesty about being a gay sportsman

Good call he's a brave man

2. Timothee Chalamet for wearing feminine fabrics in a masculine way

2019 has been a breakout year for gender-fluid fashion, and this emerging American superstar is on the crest of the wave.

Not a good look to me but I never claim to keep up with fashion

3. Christopher Eccleston for talking about male eating disorders

Very important topic

4. Sam Smith for being non-binary

Today is a good day so here goes. I’ve decided I am changing my pronouns to THEY/THEM ❤ after a lifetime of being at war with my gender I’ve decided to embrace myself for who I am, inside and out... pic.twitter.com/IVoLTYbAWd
    — Sam Smith (@samsmith) September 13, 2019

I'm not sure this is a good redefinition of masculinity by getting rid of the male pronouns but newho

5. John Legend for being utterly awesome

He does seem like a good fella

6. Professor Green for vocalising male mental health issues in a tough world

Another very important topic

https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/international-mens-day-6-celebs-whove-helped-redefine-masculinity-in-2019-965138.html

• Advertisement

#InternationalMensDay is trending in Ireland

Twitter says 105K Tweets but presumably that means worldwide

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    International Men’s Day: 6 celebs who’ve helped redefine masculinity in 2019

1. Gareth Thomas for his continuous openness and honesty about being a gay sportsman

2. Timothee Chalamet for wearing feminine fabrics in a masculine way

2019 has been a breakout year for gender-fluid fashion, and this emerging American superstar is on the crest of the wave.

3. Christopher Eccleston for talking about male eating disorders

4. Sam Smith for being non-binary

Today is a good day so here goes. I’ve decided I am changing my pronouns to THEY/THEM ❤ after a lifetime of being at war with my gender I’ve decided to embrace myself for who I am, inside and out... pic.twitter.com/IVoLTYbAWd
    — Sam Smith (@samsmith) September 13, 2019

5. John Legend for being utterly awesome

6. Professor Green for vocalising male mental health issues in a tough world

https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/international-mens-day-6-celebs-whove-helped-redefine-masculinity-in-2019-965138.html

Articles like that is why I won't get involved in International Men's Day.

What a load of complete bollocks

Irish Times have an article about this

I clicked because curious

Surely, it's about male violence against women.

lolz.

Irish Times have an article about this

I clicked because curious

Surely, it's about male violence against women.

lolz.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/international-men-s-day-2019-who-s-standing-up-for-men-these-days-1.4088026

Extract:

The Irish Men’s Development Network (MDN) is a HSE-funded charity helping marginalised men to improve their relationships with both women and each other, and also looking after their own health.

They are marking International Men’s Day (today, November 19th) by combining it with the White Ribbon campaign against gender-based violence. Last night the Ireland’s men’s team who drew with Denmark last night wore white ribbons, while men around the country are being asked to take the White Ribbon pledge: never to commit, excuse or remain silent about men’s violence against women.

It’s a noble aim that could have real consequences in homes across the country. The Women’s Aid 2018 impact report makes for sobering reading. There were 16,994 disclosures of domestic abuse against women in Ireland last year. Around half of this was physical. The vast majority was committed by men.

Yet it is striking that a men’s organisation is marking International Men’s Day by focusing on the very real shadow side of masculinity: male violence against women.

“Being a man and standing up against male violence on women is a very positive thing,” says Sean Cooke of the Men’s Development Network.

“I understand the concern that it might not be the most positive point to come from when we’re celebrating men on their day, but we also want men to support each other, to look out for each other, to listen to each other, and to be the best man they can be – the best father, the best brother, etc.

iptba wrote: »

ffs. I'd love to see something like that on women's day.

Happy International Women's Day girls. By the way, do you know that there are quite a large amount of fake rape accusations, domestic violence against men, and weaponization of children carried out about the very real shadow of femininity? Enjoy your day.

I've posted this before, but with the issue of male suicides, I have no idea how it's appropriate to bellittle men on a day that's meant to help men. A lot of people say that Men's Rights is complaining about Feminism, but it's genuine hard not to complain when a group if kind of attacking you.

Edit: I know a friend who grew up in an abusive household and there was a small amount of revictimisation in his future girlfriends. So, I do know that portraying domestic abuse as evil man vs helpless woman actually does cause damage to men who grew up in a difficult household.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's also World Toilet Day today.

Coincidence?

:)

Here's a qoute from the article:

As well as 10 days of events against gender-based violence, the MDN is also setting up a Man of the Month campaign, celebrating as male role models those “who do things that are not normally seen as ‘male’.”
    Cooke agrees there are positive traditionally “masculine” traits too. “There are, as long as you’re not taking an adversarial approach to it. When we talk about courage, we don’t say it’s only men who have courage. We’ve seen plenty of women with courage.
    “As a men’s organisation we’re stepping into a area you wouldn’t expect, but it’s critical that we as men take a stand on this.
    “We see ourselves as a feminist organisation and that sometimes is challenging, even among our own network. There are a lot of women supporting women on this huge issue, but where were the men? Well, here we are.”

I am sorry, but this is actually contemptous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What is utterly dangerous about a lot of this "open up" stuff, is that the implication is that men should behave like women, but women, who it seems open up way more than men, have a much higher rate of attempted suicide than men, and are taking a lot more anti depressants than men...I mean, is that a road we want men to go down? Sure, know your limits as to how much stress you can comfortably take, a skill hard earned in itself, but should men behave like women when it comes to their emotional health, I would think otherwise myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Whoever's selling the blue hair dye must spend a fortune on advertising! :p

• Advertisement

What is utterly dangerous about a lot of this "open up" stuff, is that the implication is that men should behave like women, but women, who it seems open up way more than men, have a much higher rate of attempted suicide than men, and are taking a lot more anti depressants than men...I mean, is that a road we want men to go down? Sure, know your limits as to how much stress you can comfortably take, a skill hard earned in itself, but should men behave like women when it comes to their emotional health, I would think otherwise myself!!!

It is important to note that the social sphere of men and women are different and testosterone and estrogen play different roles in emotional states. I'm not saying men shouldn't open up, but there should perhaps be more studies into it on a male vs woman basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Marcos

Well to be fair they did get a token male to put his name to the article. :rolleyes:
    We see ourselves as a feminist organisation
    That tells you all you need to know right there. They do not have the interests of men as their primary aim, unless it coincides with feminist dogma.
    and that sometimes is challenging, even among our own network.

No wonder, because they are operating primarily in feminists interests first, men's interests come second.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Here's a qoute from the article:

I am sorry, but this is actually contemptous.

This is why IMD is absolutely abhorrent and a prime example of a large percentage of people who champion the day to only further their detrimental agendas.

Disgusting and a step backwards towards masculinity being accepted as anything except toxic.

Marcos wrote: »
    Well to be fair they did get a token male to put his name to the article. :rolleyes:

That tells you all you need to know right there. They do not have the interests of men as their primary aim, unless it coincides with feminist dogma.

No wonder, because they are operating primarily in feminists interests first, men's interests come second.

Not even second. Men's interests are eroded to such an extent that they are expected to adopt traditionally female traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

When International Men's Day was mentioned in my lecture today, the only reaction was several female students laughed.

Hugely disappointing.

When International Men's Day was mentioned in my lecture today, the only reaction was several female students laughed.

Hugely disappointing.

Just wait and see. People like me who refuse to participate in this sham are being blamed for the reason that it isn't taken seriously.

It's obviously not the fault of the horrendous media coverage, the emasculation of men through feminist ideals, the constant persecution of men for society's ills or any number of falsehoods that are spread about men.

But because I don't think a day where Sam Smith can be lauded as a great example of what defines a man is in any way representative of a day I want to participate in and is in fact damaging to most men I know, it is MY fault.

**** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So, a lot of feminists complain about men while, going by this thread, a lot of men are eager to complain about the feminists.

Why not think for a minute about the spirit of the day.

Have you had some itch/swelling/pain that you haven't checked out but is persisting?

Do you want to talk about something that is occupying your mind and causing you to dwell on it?

Have any of your friends gone quiet or look extra stressed lately?

If the answer is yes to any of the above, please consider starting a conversation with someone about it.

It's bad enough when any group knock all men collectively, it's worse when some men see a chance to change that and decide to take a different tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Happy International Mens day lads. Mind yerselves out there.

https://twitter.com/DFSDublin/status/1196816934479835138
    https://twitter.com/DFSDublin/status/1196816935939399680

https://twitter.com/DFSDublin
    Dress for Success Dublin
    @DFSDublin
    We promote the economic independence of women by providing workwear, a network of support and career development tools

Another group whose primary interest is not helping men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

iptba wrote:
    Another group whose primary interest is not helping men.

They might as well just say "We want to help men help women"

Advertisement