Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show Tribute to Gay Byrne, Tuesday, RTÉ One, 9:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

100%

The coverage, like that of Gerry Ryan's death, has been hideously self-indulgent. For the likes of Tubridy, Duffy and all the other RTE lifers, the world begins and ends in Montrose. For the rest of us, outside of that bubble, Gay Byrne's death is little more than a case of "ah God, that's very sad". No doubt many of us will enjoy seeing the old clips, but nowhere near as much as RTE will enjoy showing them to us.

With a guest list that long there won't be time for too many clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

100%

The coverage, like that of Gerry Ryan's death, has been hideously self-indulgent. For the likes of Tubridy, Duffy and all the other RTE lifers, the world begins and ends in Montrose. For the rest of us, outside of that bubble, Gay Byrne's death is little more than a case of "ah God, that's very sad". No doubt many of us will enjoy seeing the old clips, but nowhere near as much as RTE will enjoy showing them to us.

It’s propaganda to convince tax payers to keep paying such huge unbelievable salaries to the likes of Ryan tubridy and joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Like I said above I am looking forward to the LLS tonight.

People using the occasion of the passing of one of the greats of Irish broadcasting as a stick to beat the current incumbents of Montrose are becoming evermore tiresome.

Mentioned it on the RIP thread, but one of the shows I loved was the tribute show for The Dubliners. You have a feeling all through it, that anything at all could happen, or be said, and that Gay was in his element, and whatever happened, he would be equal to it.

None of the current, vastly overpaid, RTÉ presenters could do it, in my opinion.

That was a classic show. I worked in an Irish pub in England when that was aired. Someone brought over a VHS recording and it was played ad infinitum in the pub for months till it wore out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Yeah but 90mins divide by 29 guests = 3mins.
    Plus add breaks.
    Will be rushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

elperello wrote: »
    Like I said above I am looking forward to the LLS tonight.

People using the occasion of the passing of one of the greats of Irish broadcasting as a stick to beat the current incumbents of Montrose are becoming evermore tiresome.

His death holds up a mirror to the standard that we have to put up with today

This should have been on Friday night

Ryan has never and will never have a line up like this again

Strange how life works out

sligojoek wrote: »
    That was a classic show. I worked in an Irish pub in England when that was aired. Someone brought over a VHS recording and it was played ad infinitum in the pub for months till it wore out.

It was and CJH turning up was the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

-Firstly John Sheahan stressed (and I hope he does so again tonight in front of Turgidity) what a good listener Gay was-I think the phrase used was along the lines of, not looking at his cue cards for the next question while you were answering the first one.

Exactly the point I was making in my last post. To be truly empathetic you have to be a good listener and accept the interview is not about you but rather the person you are interviewing. Byrne understood this. His empathy was genuine and in no way exploitative.

Duffy would do well to wind his neck in when speaking about Byrne. His show is all about the exploitation of his guests, faking sincerity while walking out the door with an obscene salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

This should have been on Friday night...

Yep.

Damn weekday LLS Thread messin with me head.

Feel like I should be havin beers... but it's Tuesday :confused:

Could Gay not have waited a few days. Selfish git :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Aidric wrote: »
    Wonderful stuff. Byrne's greatest quality was his empathy. He understood the need to connect with his interviewees on a human level in order to extract from them an interview the listeners/viewers wanted to hear. The important distinction from today's interviewers is that his empathy was genuine and not affected.

Contrast him to Tubridy who displays a robot like quality in getting through his list of pre prepared questions and you see why he is such a loss to broadcasting. He wasn't afraid of the flow of live TV, in fact he embraced it.

Spike Milligan would tell tubridy to fuk off,throw a glass of water over him and walk out.

His death holds up a mirror to the standard that we have to put up with today

I would suggest that his passing is of rather more significance than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

One of the best ever things RTE ever did. That year the family got our first video recorder and my Da recorded that show. I watched that show so many times and loved it. The stories told and the craic had was brilliant and it was time i was ever introduced to The Pogues. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It's RTE. They probably celebrated at having something to fill 90 minutes midweek and a full 2 pages of the Christmas rte guide. Watch them repeat this tripe ad nauseum now and fill a few more weeks of "quality" homegrown programming.

yera shut up, they did not. They treated Gay Byrne as a god, a sort of Johnny Carson and there was some truth to it. He wasn't always my cup of tea but was still a really good presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Aidric wrote: »
    Exactly the point I was making in my last post. To be truly empathetic you have to be a good listener and accept the interview is not about you but rather the person you are interviewing. Byrne understood this. His empathy was genuine and in no way exploitative.

Duffy would do well to wind his neck in when speaking about Byrne. His show is all about the exploitation of his guests, faking sincerity while walking out the door with an obscene salary.

You'd hope he'd show a bit of humility (JD), for once, but it's unlikely. Ironically, Gay bringing him into RTE was the best thing that ever happened to him, and one of the worst decision Gay ever made-aside from putting his affairs in the care of Eoghan Murphy's grandad!

I never watch the LLS any more, although I religiously read the thread on here, but I'll watch tonight, and try to put my latent dislike of Tubs and Duffy aside.

Others have said that this is typical RTE navel gazing, I suppose it is to a degree, but unlike Gerry Ryan, GB really was a national institution, and deserves a decent send off-why they didn't just do it on Friday is beyond me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

I was hoping to see Billy Connolly say a few words via satellite linkup.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

You'd hope he'd show a bit of humility (JD), for once, but it's unlikely. Ironically, Gay bringing him into RTE was the best thing that ever happened to him, and one of the worst decision Gay ever made-aside from putting his affairs in the care of Eoghan Murphy's grandad!

I never watch the LLS any more, although I religiously read the thread on here, but I'll watch tonight, and try to put my latent dislike of Tubs and Duffy aside.

Others have said that this is typical RTE navel gazing, I suppose it is to a degree, but unlike Gerry Ryan, GB really was a national institution, and deserves a decent send off-why they didn't just do it on Friday is beyond me though.

I'd imagine the alcohol consumption at the afters of his funeral on Friday probably stopped that idea in its tracks.

Traditionally, Irish wakes take place between the death and the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

briany wrote: »
    I was hoping to see Billy Connolly say a few words via satellite linkup.

I doubt any of the real celebrities care.

Ireland is a very small market.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

They all arriving now at rte, des cahill, marty morris, it is all about rte and the big gig...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I agree Byrne deserves a tribute show and RTE are right to give him one. I wouldn't be so harsh on Ryan. I think he came closest to Byrne in terms of connecting with his listeners. His subject matter didn't stand up to Byrne but his intentions were on a similar level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

This should have been on Friday night

Ryan has never and will never have a line up like this again

Strange how life works out

Selfish gay should have held ontill at least Wednesday.

Showbiz is all about timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yup.

rte.ie/entertainment/2019/1105/1088746-late-late-remembers-gay-byrne-on-really-special-show/

The full line-up for tonight's show is:

President Michael D Higgins

Mary McAleese

Bob Geldof

Pat Kenny

Joe Duffy

Mike Murphy

Andrea Corr

Sharon Shannon

John Sheahan

Finbar Furey

Nell McCafferty

John McColgan

Tommy Tiernan

Pat Shortt

Jon Kenny

Rosaleen Linehan

Eamon Dunphy

Twink

Fr Brian D'arcy

Paddy Maloney

Donal Lunny

Nell McCafferty

Michael Carruth

Moya Doherty

RTÉ Director General Dee Forbes

Vincent Browne

Mary Black

Frank McNamara

Aonghus McAnally

The ultimate RTE Canteen Late Late Show.

I doubt any of the real celebrities care.

Ireland is a very small market.

Graham Norton is a real celebrity dumbass.

elperello wrote: »
    It was and CJH turning up was the icing on the cake.

Will Leo pull a similar stroke tomight.
    You'd hope he'd show a bit of humility (JD), for once, but it's unlikely.

He'll be all theatrical, camp and in Funny Friday mode. Pure fake.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The ultimate RTE Canteen Late Late Show.

god you're so funny.

They should have just played repeats for the next few Friday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

The whole canteen is there

god you're so funny.

Huh?
    Back off weirdo!

• Advertisement

They should have just played repeats for the next few Friday nights