Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Law- Geo Blocking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,863 ✭✭✭✭anewme

scamalert wrote: »
    Id guess same reason Iceland isn't on the list. air,water transport only+ taxes and small market.

No Spain or Portugal either.

I would have thought the opposite for Ireland than Iceland- the market (was) verey significant when the Company was set up here (Celtic Tiger madness) and it was a way of making extra money before there was kickback on the likes of social media and greater transparency in EU regulations etc.

I don't want the goods now, but I will raise it as an issue with the contact I received from CCPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well good luck with that, really mean it, not being sarcastic.

as i buy weekly online and see it day in, day out, if i cant bypass trough NI, ill find someone else to buy from :cool: since most have legit policies why they cant ship or offer product, and its not times where one is stuck with single option anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

scamalert wrote: »
    read section 21 on exceptions and local laws company has to abide. As without knowing item, their terms and conditions its your gripe that you have to pay more here for import from same company.

Section 21 of what?

My understanding is that she is not asking them to export anything. She is requesting that they accept her order to ship the goods intra-Member State on a non-discriminatory basis pursuant to her right under Art 4(1) of the quoted EU regulation.

There is no question of them having to comply with Irish laws because of this because of Art 4(3) of the same regulation.

Do you think this regulation doesn't not apply in this situation? Genuine question, as it seems pretty straightforward unless I've missed something.

OP perhaps make a complaint to UK authority https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/implementation-geoblocking-regulation-uk

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Would depend surely on what you are ordering, for example would companies sell you tobacco goods across borders with all it entails?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

BTW just on a similar question, what about playing on line through the lotto app. They won't accept any payment cards not issued on an Irish bank.

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Would depend surely on what you are ordering, for example would companies sell you tobacco goods across borders with all it entails?

Nothing so exciting.

Homewares.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Spook_ie wrote: »

My understanding is she's not requesting them to ship it across borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭embraer170

anewme wrote: »
    Just checked and got another email there.

“We do not accept orders from Southern Ireland”’

They may have the right to not deliver to Southern Ireland, but they have no right to refuse a payment method from Ireland or anywhere in the EU.

Try the European consumer centre for some advice:
    https://www.eccireland.ie/
    If you are a consumer (resident in Ireland) with a complaint about a trader based in another EU/EEA country (i.e. cross-border) and you have tried to resolve the matter with the trader to no avail, please feel free to contact us. Our service is free of charge and confidential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭embraer170

Some more information and examples are here:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/pricing-payments/faq/index_en.htm
    I want to buy shoes online from a company in Spain, using my Italian credit card. The website won't accept my card as it's not a Spanish credit card. Is the trader allowed to do that?

NO. Under EU rules, traders are not allowed to discriminate based on nationality or country of residence. This means that if a trader accepts a particular brand of credit card, for example Visa, from Spain they have to accept the same brand of credit card from all EU countries.
    Traders are allowed to choose which payment brands they accept – so, for example they can choose to accept Visa but not American Express. However, they are not allowed to refuse a payment card simply because it is from another EU country.

I live in Ireland and I want to buy tickets for a theme park online. The website automatically sends me to the Irish version of the website. A friend in Italy sees much cheaper tickets for the same theme park via the Italian version of the website. Why can't I see these prices?
    EU websites are not allowed to automatically redirect you to a specific country version of their website without your consent. You should be able to choose which version you visit by selecting a country/territory or by directly typing in the correct URL. If you are unable to switch to a different version of the theme park's website, you can report the problem to your European Consumer Centre.

embraer170 wrote: »
    They may have the right to not deliver to Southern Ireland, but they have no right to refuse a payment method from Ireland or anywhere in the EU.

Try the European consumer centre for some advice:
    https://www.eccireland.ie/

I was not asking them to deliver to ROI. Delivery address is NI

CCPC gave me contacts ofr ECC Ireland on Friday, just could not get through.

Not sure if to contact them first or the UK end as outlined by usernamegoes (Thanks a lot for your help)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You should read this explanation from the European Comission. The geo-blocking is allowed, if the seller has to ship physical goods to you (i.e. you can't force a seller to ship to a certain country (even within the EU). WHat makes your eample even more complicated is that your sale technically is not a cross border sale. You are trying to get a order shipped from one part of the UK to another, so it wouldnt fall under these regulations anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

mdebets wrote: »
    You should read this explanation from the European Comission. The geo-blocking is allowed, if the seller has to ship physical goods to you (i.e. you can't force a seller to ship to a certain country (even within the EU).

But, the OP wants to ship to NI which is where they ship to, their issue is not in relation to the delivery location, but rather the location the payment method is in.

mdebets wrote: »
    WHat makes your eample even more complicated is that your sale technically is not a cross border sale. You are trying to get a order shipped from one part of the UK to another, so it wouldnt fall under these regulations anyhow.

I already raised this point, however, the exemption to the Regulation for purely internal transactions only applies when all the "relevant elements" of the transaction are confined within one member state, the fact the OPs card is registered in another member state may not satisfy that requirement meaning the Regulation does apply even though it is not a cross border sale.

Advertisement