Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunters - Amazon Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

How to spot a Nazi :

"White People"

Switched off,

Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

7:
    Jeez, that scene between Murray and his son Aaron. Then Lonny getting killed. It looked like that was gonna happen to Lonny because he was on his own but Murray.. I thought he had a chance.
    All I can guess is that the FBI now see this demonstration bomb, get told about the biological threat and get to work to stop it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've read that some Holocaust groupings have tut tutted over the fictional massacres of the show, arguing that it lessens the evil to simply invent incidents like that chess game. I dunno, I can see the worry about dramatising the evil, even in something this openly trashy.

Second episode and still enjoying this. Stands to reasons there's something larger at play, 10 episodes of revenge stories would have got old without some semblance of serialisation. Pacino's accent wobbled a bit but his performance has been far more understated than usual; which is ironic given how pulpy this show is, that'd he'd be the stoic one.

8:
    I don't understand the plan with the corn syrup.
    Guessing there'll be more in the next episodes.
    The song about it in the credits got creepy enough at the very end.

That scene with
    Mindy and Murray and Aaron. That packed a punch!
    :(

Things I looked up
    Shoah: (I was 90% had an idea) The biblical term shoah, meaning "destruction", became the standard Hebrew term for the murder of the European Jews; Yom HaShoah is Israel's Holocaust Remembrance Day.
    Shivah: a period of seven days' formal mourning for the dead, beginning immediately after the funeral.
    Mindeleh/Mindelah: I'm 99% sure this is just the long form of the name Mindy.
    Tata: I'm not sure. Maybe it's a name for a relative but I'm not sure which relative.
    Simon Wiesenthal: (really strong resemblance to the actual person) was a Jewish Austrian Holocaust survivor, Nazi hunter, and writer.

Found the song about Wernher von Braun:

9: :eek::eek:
    Boiled to death in 500 degree corn syrup!
    :eek::eek:
    That chainsaw
    scene! :eek:
    The blowtorch
    scene! :eek:

Glad
    Jonah didn't do it.

Was wondering
    what was going on with the episode as it felt like everything was wrapping up until Meyer and the Colonel went over the bridge.

Things I looked up
    Shofar: ancient musical horn typically made of a ram's horn, used for Jewish religious purposes.
    Shum Davar: meaningless, trivial, time-wasting talk
    OSS: Office of Strategic Services - wartime intelligence agency of the United States during World War II

People from the conversation at the start:

• Advertisement

What the actual ****!

Finished! Overall the show .. well.. it was what it said on the tin. It delivered a solid 10 episodes of between one to one and a half hours!

Likely I'd watch a second season if they make one.
    Thinking it would have more a end 70s begin 80s cold war feel to it.

10: They
    sure made that last scene look like the Sicario dinner table!
    William Sadler! What a baddie! Even if short-lived!
    Agreed about the twists and turns of this episode. Many parts I didn't see coming.
    Didn't see Al Pacino being the wolf. Didn't see The Colonel being alive!
    Don't know what's gonna happen with Millie and her FBI/Hunter Squad.
    Don't know what's going on with Harriet

Things I looked up
    Bashert: one's divinely foreordained spouse or soulmate
    Kaddish: a hymn of praises to God found in Jewish prayer services

One characters of note I think was Annie Hägg who played
    young Ruth
    did great with her role!
    Also some of that music by Cristobal Tapia de Veer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched Episode 3; seems like each episode has at least one goofy, fourth wall break so this time we got a cheesy infomercial which I suppose if you were easily triggered, you might find offensive. I thought it was funny myself. Indeed, all white people aren't Nazis, but all Nazis are white people! :D

Have to say I'm really enjoying this show; trashy when it wants to be, melancholy and emotional when the need arises, and all played with just the right amount of tongue in cheek. Easy watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ending spoiler
    Why did they bring joe to argentina?

Ending spoiler
    Why did they bring joe to argentina?

My guess is
    to bring him to home base to get their chief torturer or soemthing torture him to extract information.

Hmmm, if there's one flaw in this ensemble, I'm really not sure what Lonny Flash is supposed to bring to the table. He doesn't seem to do anything except occasionally use his celebrity to open a door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

OK ending, twist was a bit forced I thought, interesting but didn't quite land for me.

Good show though, once you get past the hump of a strange production with the holocaust at its core that alternates between bleak drama and comedy hijinks.

Finally finished this, and reading that the head behind the series has 5 seasons of material. So unsurprising it ended on a cliffhanger... And one I had been wondering about. Invoking Argentina seemed had me wondering if we might
    have Hitler revealed to be alive. The twist that the Colonel was Eva Braun did catch me though. Shades of The Boys from Brazil too methinks?

The more personal twist I had begun to suspect around the midway point; so with the hints dropped it didn't cause that much of a shock when the axe fell. Still felt a touch contrived despite the nods and winks.

Will be interesting to see if this gets a season 2. Hopefully as on balance it was a fun, occasionally heavy hitting show.

Not sure I've seen enough chatter about it online to give the impression it'll have legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Watched three episodes and not sure about this at all. Trying exceedingly hard to channel Tarantino

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Absolutely loved it. Watched it with my wife and she enjoyed it aswell.

Quirky , 70s vibe and among other things I loved the psycho nazi...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,210 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am mid way through the first episode.
    I am finding it incredibly hard to make out what Al Pacino is saying....is it just me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

gmisk wrote: »
    I am mid way through the first episode.
    I am finding it incredibly hard to make out what Al Pacino is saying....is it just me?

8 episodes in and I can understand him fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Watched the first 5 episodes of Hunters. Still don't know what to make of it. The pulpiness alongside the hyper-stylisations sits a little uncomfortably with the Jewish holocaust backdrop, so if nothing else it's a brave experiment. But there's a lot else going on: I'd normally have switched off by now with the silliness of the plot, but the strange concoction is keeping me interested despite its flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Watched three episodes and not sure about this at all. Trying exceedingly hard to channel Tarantino

I've watched 4 eps. It's becoming a slog to get through them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I've watched 4 eps. It's becoming a slog to get through them.
    I gave up at episode 6 or 7. Can't remember. It's negatives outweighed the positives at some stage for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i haven't seen this yet but reading comments on the web it seems this is in bad taste making a Tarrantino type/dark comedy on the holocaust, history's greatest atrocity

am i right in saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

fryup wrote: »
    i haven't seen this yet but reading comments on the web it seems this is in bad taste making a Tarrantino type/dark comedy on the holocaust, history's greatest atrocity

I dunno, I like a lot of others just gave up after 4 or 5 episodes. It's tiring and hard work, not particularly funny and somewhat cartoonish. The characters are all crap in my opinion and dark comedy is a stretch as nothing is particularly funny. I suppose someone could make the above statement and its difficult to dispute but I didnt find it funny.

Just a potential decent story badly told IMO

fryup wrote: »

It's not really a dark comedy; the first few episodes definitely go for a Grindhouse, pulp look to it but then it gets kinda dropped as the series and stakes go on and up. The main plot is very melodramatic and a bit silly. As to offence, well I'm not Jewish but can't imagine its trivialising of Holocaust brutality would have gone down well with some.

ok, so i binged the first 4 episodes over the weekend and it's definitely a lazy Tarantino copy & paste job of pulp fiction, inglorious basterds & kill bill all rolled into one.

the saturday night fever dance routine at coney island was just plain dumb and the
    eat sh!t scence
    was disgusting and was just included for shock value it went too far for me, and having the holocaust as a backdrop to all this nonsense is in bad taste imo

if i was jewish or german i'd be offended by this,

but now that i've started, i'll watch the rest of it....does it improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jennifer Jason Leigh to be the lead in season 2.

I think it would have been better if they've made this into a serious thriller/drama instead of this gobbledygook comic book nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For some reason I was convinced this has been cancelled. I see previous claims there were 5 seasons worth so ... whoops. At least they have one more to wrap it all up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Advertisement