Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with a Brompton, or similar.

Options
  • 31-10-2019 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭

I know at least one regular who uses one, and I watched one guy the weekend hop onto a Luas and get off the same stop as me and he was gone within seconds.

I've now about a 20km commute which I'd normally cycle fully but lately I've been thinking of cycling 10km to the Luas and taking it the rest of the way into the city. Biggest plus is that I can do it in "normal" clothes and not be sweaty when I arrive at the office. I don't trust leaving any of my regular bikes all day at a Luas stop. If the Luas has issues, which is not an irregular occurrence, I can always cycle the full commute.

I've always pictured Brompton users of doing a relatively short commute on a relatively flat route.

How are those who use them regularly using them, how are they suited for longer rides?

Biggest con is the initial cost, but in the long run it'd probably be more economical than replacing bikes knicked from the station.

Other con is for once my wife is almost encouraging me to buy one on, on the proviso that I sell one of the other 3.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Hurrache wrote: »
    I know at least one regular who uses one, and I watched one guy the weekend hop onto a Luas and get off the same stop as me and he was gone within seconds.

I've now about a 20km commute which I'd normally cycle fully but lately I've been thinking of cycling 10km to the Luas and taking it the rest of the way into the city. Biggest plus is that I can do it in "normal" clothes and not be sweaty when I arrive at the office. I don't trust leaving any of my regular bikes all day at a Luas stop. If the Luas has issues, which is not an irregular occurrence, I can always cycle the full commute.

I've always pictured Brompton users of doing a relatively short commute on a relatively flat route.

How are those who use them regularly using them, how are they suited for longer rides?

Biggest con is the initial cost, but in the long run it'd probably be more economical than replacing bikes knicked from the station.

Other con is for once my wife is almost encouraging me to buy one on, on the proviso that I sell one of the other 3.

I use the Brompton every day. Take it on the train and used to take it on the luas, but I only cycle about 10km overall each day for my commute. I love it. Wouldn't hesitate to cycle further.

I rarely use my other bikes now and have taken the Brompton on trips of up to 50km.

I find it Grand for longer trips if you are not in a massive rush, it's handy to take in to shops/pubs etc and not be worrying.

It is a necessity to change the saddle (I have a knock off Brooks sprung saddle) and the hand grips, I went with ergo 3 to give some extra hand positions.

I have a two speed which I regret, I will buy the six speed conversion kit when the rear wheel gives out.

Go for it id say, but get the six speed and try the different handle bar configurations, I have the flat one.

The one negative is that almost everything is a proprietary part so expensive to buy over the normal generic bike bits.

Edit: If you cycle the whole 20km on a regular bike you can do it on a Brompton, particularly if it is urban cycling as it is quicker off the mark and more nimble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

20 km is easily done on a Brompton (your don't take a luas trip).

The only issue i have is space on a busy peak bus. I sometimes let one go if it doesn't look like I will get standing room. A colleague manages fine on the luas - probably more room than a bus.

The 6 speed is nice but I rarely have to use 1L.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Do you guys have the Brompton bag, a 3rd party one, or just carry it on without one? I imagine it would be a bit messy in the winter without one, between dirty water dripping off it onto the floor and people knocking off it getting stains all over them.

Do you guys have the Brompton bag, a 3rd party one, or just carry it on without one? I imagine it would be a bit messy in the winter without one, between dirty water dripping off it onto the floor and people knocking off it getting stains all over them.

Don't need a bag, just as is. Officially I think the luas say you do but I've never had anyone say anything to me in about a year of taking it on the luas daily. But if you are worried just have a black bin bag to shove it in in an emergency. If you want something better, Ikea do a bag, I think it's meant for a spare car tire, but it does the job. Just Google Ikea bag brompton.

As for people getting dirty by brushing off it, this doesn't really happen. The folding is clever, it folds so that the chain is actually on the inside if that makes sense. To touch the chain you would have to shove your hand into it. If you get mud guards, which you should, any wet on the tires just drips into them of you leave the Brompton upright. Plus they stop the bike, and you, getting dirty and wet when cycling.

Also, the luggage carrying design is great. Bags are pricey but they just clip on the front and I found the weight over the front wheel actually helps the handling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I also have a couple of folders, none of them are Bromptons, but bigger wheeled 20". Longest I've done is 14k or so. I actually prefer the more upright position.
    One of Mine has 6 gears so you can get a decent speed going on a longer stretch. Also have a single speed, I don't find that much of a drawback either though.
    I've stopped using mine, there's no longer any space on the train I get. If I had a brompton which folds much smaller it might still be able to do it.

So my advice is get the brompton, if you can. Nothing folds as easy or as compact. Which is really the whole point. Space is even more limited on a bus.
    Also I agree get the mudguards. If I was getting it for the train I get the rack with the wheels. As you often have to carry it a bit. The rack allows easier to wheel it folded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Other con is for once my wife is almost encouraging me to buy one, on the proviso that I sell one of the other 3.

It only takes up half the space of one of your other bikes, so maybe you should offer to sell half of one of your bikes and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Marvellous machines. Next on the list after a fat bike.

Slightly off topic - inspiring report of a folding bike bike tour:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=18890

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Get one. I did a 70k ride in the Surrey Hills on one recently. It was a hired 3 speed like my own and I struggled on the worst hills as did the only other muppet with a 3 speed.
    If you have hills on your commute 6 speed is probably the way to go but I like the simplicity of my 3 speed.
    Great to ride, convenient, fun, different. I have 4 bikes but I use the Brompton the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I agree with all the positive sentiments about the Brompton here.

I'll just add a few things that I don't think have been mentioned.

They're a great grab-and-go bike. You can keep them in your house, as they don't take up much room, so you don't have to go out and unlock a shed and unlock chains, or whatever. You can secure a basic repair kit (vulcanising solution, patch, dog-bone spanner, tyre lever; something like that) under the Brooks saddle with resealable cable ties. The Brompton usually comes with a small frame pump. I replaced the front reflector with a small block of wood and a Moon Crescent white light, and I put the Brompton red light-cum-reflector on the reflector mount at the back. You can store a spare inner tube in the top tube of the frame, because you can access the interior of the top tube when the bike is folded. You can put a large garbage bag in the smaller segment of exposed top tube for use on buses (I was once thrown off a bus for bringing on "a bike"; that doesn't happen if you conceal it in a garbage bag).

As said, you can do longer distances. I did about 50km one day pulling a Bike-Hod trailer. It wasn't too draining, though I guess more so than my tourer for a similar distance.

• Advertisement

The front-mounting block is absolutely ingenious and very fast and convenient to attach and detach.

However, I got the touring luggage and after a while I found it a bit cumbersome, because the flap bellied up in the wind/air resistance, so I had to add a belt to it to strap the flap down (I think the newer Brompton design has this feature built in), and this meant accessing the contents of the bag involved opening three buckles.

So I ended up making my own basket. I think you can get proprietary frame mounts that mate with the luggage block with a surrounding frame of aluminium tubes, but not the simple mount on its own, so I had to make my own, but it has lasted over a year very well.

460683.jpg

And the Series 4 Long Shackle fits that basket really well:

494146.jpg

And the Series 4 (again, the Long Shackle version) is good for locking the bike up for at least a short while outside:

494147.jpg

So I guess most people don't use the Brompton quite the way I do it, but it's a great bike for short, local trips: always to hand, don't necessarily have to bring lights or repair kit, and that basket (admittedly a bit of a production to make) is a good size for doing a quick shop, or carrying folders, paperwork, that sort of thing.

Finally, I've had the bike years, but as already mentioned, it's worth changing the grips. Mine were pretty tatty, which is why I finally got round to it. I got Ergon GP1 Gripshift ones (the standard-length ones were too long), and I retained a bit of the original grips to cover the small gap between the new grips and the brake lever.

494149.jpg

I got a present of a Dahon bag and the Brompton fits in it comfortably. I think it's probably cheaper than the Brompton bag, as Brompton accessories tend to be a bit over-priced. The bike itself is not cheap, but given how good it is I think it's correctly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've recently started commuting on a Dahon D8 with 20" wheels. The ride is better than I expected but I'll end up selling it for a real Brompton sooner rather than later. The fold on the Brompton just seems better than anything. Size wise anything with 20" is just too big folded, mine doesn't even fit in my car boot (admittedly I have a very small car)

Brompton's hold resale value well but this also means they are stolen if ever locked outside too (which you won't need to do in many cases)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Seems like a poor deal, seeing as the Brompton only counts as half a bike.
    I'd suggest you negotiate. Offer to get rid of some of those old tyres you have hanging up, instead.

Oh, and I have the three-speed, which I find fine. Like hub gears in general, it has a certain simple elegance. But I've never tried the six-speed. I might regret the wasted years were I to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fred the head

I have had a Brompton for nearly 15 years used for regular commuting when I lived in London. Probably the best folding bike out there and very easy to live with.
    A few things I would advise if you are thinking of purchasing a new one.

1/ If you are over 6 foot don't forget the high seat tube.

2/ The standard seat is gash but easily replaceable if you decide on a Brooks remember to get the Brompton kit thingy otherwise it will never fit properly.

3/ Standard tyres are prone to punctures and not the best out there, when the wear out (which will be quick) get a good set of Shwalbes.

4/ Unless you are having to carry the bike up stairs frequently don't bother with the superlight items.

I don't commute anymore but I can throw the Brompton in the boot of the car get to a nice spot and be off and away when others are still messing about with cycle racks.

Fantastic things just remember to take them for what they are and play to their considerable advantages and you can't go wrong.

Yeah, my brother got the titanium rear triangle and fork and I think it added a few months on to his waiting time. It is noticeably lighter than the all-steel version though.

• Advertisement

The titanium wasn't an option when I got mine (was also available in any colour as long as it's black)

I always found somewhere to stash it if I had to go somewhere with lots of steps, because they fold so compact folk are normally OK with leaving under the reception desk or similar. I knew lads who had superlights but it seemed a lot of money for not much benefit.

Yeah, I personally wouldn't bother. But if you were doing a lot of carrying or weren't all that strong, it might make a big difference to your enjoyment over time.

Mine, as obvious in the photos, is also black. The variety of colours you can get now is nice, and you can get different parts of the frame in different colours, which I like.

Yeah I can agree with that.

But as someone said earlier in the thread a good set of rolling wheels is a godsend when it's folded. Mine is a M3, and pretty standard, just a brooks saddle, a metal non folding inner pedal and better tyres

The one upgrade was the rear luggage carrier, it adds lots of weight but strengthens he whole thing up when folded, makes far more stable and with the better wheels it's similar to maneuver to a wheeled suitcase.

I often thought about fitting the 6 gear conversion but central London is pretty flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Some brilliant info, thanks a lot guys, plenty to mull over. I must admit there's much more to them with regards to options and choices than I expected, not just simple choice between colours and gearing which I expected.

I see Halfords are now official vendors so may have a decent range to peruse compared to the usual places. I only noticed one or two in Cycle Superstore last time I was there but I'll check again.

Thanks Hurrache just reading your original post again as to what they are like to live with, after all they are quite serious money now.

Well mine was used daily for about 10 years and they are very robust, more so than a regular bike I would say.

The most important thing is not to expect a Bromton to ride like a full size, they are designed as a city bike and they do this fanatically well, the small wheels and gearing ratio mean you will beat anyone from a standing start, but you will be passed within 15 yards by the peleton, just in time to stop at the next set of lights!!!!

The fold, when you first start using a Bromton is like wrestling an octopus, but stick with it and when you get used to it its up and down in seconds.

Maintenance is a doddle just do what it says in the manual re regular lubrication, I found tyres and brake pads wore out quite quick, but this is probably the more due to the stop start of city journeys than the bike. I had a daily 10k commute and probably another 5-10k in other journeys each week, chainsets lasted about 2 years again its the stop start nature of the journeys.

All that said I have done the London-Brighton on mine as well as the odd Brompton race, more for the craic than in any serious way, and even though I no longer commute I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

The tyres wear out quickly because each bit is rubbing off the road far more than standard size tyres for an equivalent journey. Basically, more wheel rotations per trip. Not sure about the brake pads!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've decided today that I want a Brompton for Christmas (although I'll look second hand first - there just seems to be a lot of dodgy looking sellers). Will use it as my main going around town bike - upgrading from a mix of a Dahon Speed that I rarely use and a Canyon Urban that I sold (largely because I couldn't find a set of mudguards to fit it)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Strongly considering one myself once the dust settles after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I still have my 20" folders. Once place I do end up carrying them is over the bridge that gets from one platform to the other side, I miss the level cross gates closing.
    But its almost easier to carry unfolded. As I put saddle over my shoulder and just lift it by the cross bar.

Another advantage of the Brompton is standard parts and accessories. I find it hard sourcing even simple things for my 20" bikes.

Advertisement