Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

beakerjoe wrote: »
    A post goes off in the thread about MB, Paddys in here quicker than Leo can leak a confidential document.

He makes a very ignorant comment, gets called out and hes like a fart in the wind.

Paddy's not too fond of being seen to make stupid comments, but when he does make them he makes them awful and very hard....

In full flow he'd make about 45 every two hours, then he'd have a packet a crips or a packet of peanuts and he'd go back at it again and probably make about ten more.

He'd get up then in the morning and after an ol' fry he'd log on and go back at it awful and very hard again, and there'd be no fcuking stopping him.

He'd take the shirt off any mans back.

Isn't that right Paddy?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

beakerjoe wrote: »
    A post goes off in the thread about MB, Paddys in here quicker than Leo can leak a confidential document.

He makes a very ignorant comment, gets called out and hes like a fart in the wind.

Almost like he's just here to wind people up..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Heard same

Said she was completely inattentive to constituency issues once she got her seat

Like most politicians sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I'm still waiting for the Swing video to be made public, why hasn't it been released? After all if she was in the right she shouldn't have an issue with it being made public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Probably not the sorts that ever voted for her. Her voters are from the more well to do areas.

No sh1t Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

What an obnoxious retort Paddy. Didn’t think even You could stoop so low.

Typical arrogance by a FG’er.

Excuse me?

Every party targets areas that are most likely to vote for them. That's why SF were illegally gathering data on the entire country for their abú database.

I'm sure Maria is the same. She knows her base... barristers, architects, doctors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'm still waiting for the Swing video to be made public, why hasn't it been released? After all if she was in the right she shouldn't have an issue with it being made public.

INM is already in hot water for releasing personal data. Releasing any video would breach GDPR. In fact even retaining footage this long would be problematic.

What an obnoxious retort Paddy. Didn’t think even You could stoop so low.

Typical arrogance by a FG’er.

It’s sort of true though tbh, even with Pintman putting it across in a rather blunt manner.

The people who vote for FG in the costal Dublin constituencies tend to be well-to-do; highly educated; ABC1 professionals. The type of people who get up early, have the Irish Times delivered, and are out the door doing something by the time the internet outrage crew are scratching their cluster for the 1st time.

Some lad who spends his life being angry on the internet was never going to vote for FG anyway. Other parties are more attractive to that demographic. The simple solutions to complex problems crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Excuse me?

Every party targets areas that are most likely to vote for them. That's why SF were illegally gathering data on the entire country for their abú database.

I'm sure Maria is the same. She knows her base... barristers, architects, doctors etc.

Ironic choice of professions, you understand that you are actually making her even less appealing, which is quite something.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ironic choice of professions, you understand that you are actually making her even less appealing, which is quite something.

What professions would be more appealing?

It’s sort of true though tbh, even with Pintman putting it across in a rather blunt manner.

The people who vote for FG in the costal Dublin constituencies tend to be well-to-do; highly educated; ABC1 professionals. The type of people who get up early, have the Irish Times delivered, and are out the door doing something by the time the internet outrage crew are scratching their cluster for the 1st time.

Some lad who spends his life being angry on the internet was never going to vote for FG anyway. Other parties are more attractive to that demographic. The simple solutions to complex problems crew.

I would suspect those people pay more professional and personal insurance premiums, go to hotels for dinner and drinks more, and are equally adept at spotting someone gaming the system.

What professions would be more appealing?

Making her, Maria Bailey less appealing, not the professions. D’oh.

Irony in the sense that to take her fraudulent case, she needed a solicitor, Doctors report, and probably some type of report on the structure (an engineer would have been a neater fit, but ya gotta use what you’re given).

Excuse me?

Sole traders.... small business.... local convenience shops and restaurants..... bye bye

INM is already in hot water for releasing personal data. Releasing any video would breach GDPR. In fact even retaining footage this long would be problematic.

They may not be. Journalistic exemptions within GDPR. I imagine they will rely on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Excuse me?

What have you to be excused for Pat?

And You trying to tell us the constituency she’s in is full of barristers etc.? Mind You, I can understand the need for barristers & doctors when there are stupid people living there who go on swings holding glasses of alcohol.

Why can’t you admit it Pat, you’re defending the indefensible.

Not doubting You Pat but where is the proof about INM being in ‘hot water’ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Excuse me?

Fine Gael throwing stones from the glasshouse now. Anyone remember the warranted commotion about their introduction of the PSC card that was/is illegal and collecting a lot of data, alongside their partnership with Seetec, who iirc were banned in the UK for their dodgy practices...

Anyway... While Maria may have grown up around there and under the wing of her father while he was practicing his questionable (to say the least) dealings in that area, I think it's safe to say that the majority around there have had their fill of that family. If she was to run as an independent, I would imagine you would get great odds in the bookmakers of her getting in.

Suckit wrote: »
    Fine Gael throwing stones from the glasshouse now. Anyone remember the warranted commotion about their introduction of the PSC card that was/is illegal and collecting a lot of data, alongside their partnership with Seetec, who iirc were banned in the UK for their dodgy practices...

Anyway... While Maria may have grown up around there and under the wing of her father while he was practicing his questionable (to say the least) dealings in that area, I think it's safe to say that the majority around there have had their fill of that family. If she was to run as an independent, I would imagine you would get great odds in the bookmakers of her getting in.

There is no question of her being adopted.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/05/29/eamonn-kelly-not-far-from-the-tree/

Dav010 wrote: »

After reading that link, it’s shocking to think people come on here & voice their support for devious people like Bailey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

After reading that link, it’s shocking to think people come on here & voice their support for devious people like Bailey.

One politician, who could soon become a Fine Gael TD again, was very very quick to sideline Bailey - Kate O'Connell.
    Fine Gael TD Kate O’Connell changed her Facebook photo mere moments after her friend and colleague Maria Bailey’s interview with Sean O'Rourke.

The Dublin Bay South TD’s 'cover photo' was a picture of her with her sister Mary Newman-Julian, a Fine Gael election candidate for Tipperary, and her close friend Maria Bailey.

This was only a few minutes after Maria Bailey's controversial interview on RTE's Today with Sean O'Rourke.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/de-profiled-fine-gael-td-kate-oconnell-removes-facebook-photo-featuring-friend-maria-bailey-minutes-after-rte-interview-38158971.html

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You’re hardly criticising Ms O’Connell for a smart political “move”, are you?

Furthermore, distancing herself from Bailey would, hopefully, ensure that the online “mouth breathers” wouldn’t start after her as well.

A very smart move.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Furthermore, distancing herself from Bailey would, hopefully, ensure that the online “mouth breathers” wouldn’t start after her as well.

A very smart move.

No it's reflective of Irish politics and the lure of the gravy train. O'Connell knows full well how to look after No. 1. They all do. It was the speed of the move that intrigued me. Within minutes of the car crash interview by her 'friend'. Perhaps it was an instruction from HQ.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

She probably heard the interview amd felt which way the w8nd was blowing or was in disgust like the majority of insurance premium purchasers.

Or she just changed it without thinking.

We will never know

A very smart move.

I know you're fond of the inverted commas Emmett, but how was it a "smart" move? Last time I looked she's still Kate O'Connell - the ex TD.

It wasn't a smart enough move to hang on to her seat anyway, I think Kate would have been more concerned with the negative consequences with highfalutin with someone who would make a very questionable insurance claim, and whether her constituents cared, (which they evidently did).

So with that in mind, wasn't a smart enough move, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭jmreire

More like self preservation and damage limitation than smart as such..didn't have much choice anyway, but even so, it really pointed out the kind of person she is.

No it's reflective of Irish politics and the lure of the gravy train. O'Connell knows full well how to look after No. 1. They all do. It was the speed of the move that intrigued me. Within minutes of the car crash interview by her 'friend'. Perhaps it was an instruction from HQ.

You’d make multiples of what you earn as a TD owning a pharmacy. Sure I know lads working in non-management IT who make way more than a TD and with far less hours. Far easier ways to make money than becoming a backbencher. Terrible hours as well, and the online abuse from SF supporters is reaching breaking point these days.

Most of the lads (always lads) complaining about politicians pay are the sort who are too lazy and too stupid to run for office themselves. They prefer to just complain about them on the internet.

That wasn’t aimed at you btw. Just the overall reality.

jmreire wrote: »
    More like self preservation and damage limitation than smart as such..didn't have much choice anyway, but even so, it really pointed out the kind of person she is.

She didn't lick it off of a stone jm, sure Leo couldn't disassociate himself enough from his pal (who isn't really a pal) when the lid was lifted on that one too.

"When in trouble, drop them like a hot snot" must be in the FG handbook or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

McMurphy wrote: »
    I know you're fond of the inverted commas Emmett, but how was it a "smart" move? Last time I looked she's still Kate O'Connell - the ex TD.

It wasn't a smart enough move to hang on to her seat anyway, I think Kate would have been more concerned with the negative consequences with highfalutin with someone who would make a very questionable insurance claim, and whether her constituents cared, (which they evidently did).

So with that in mind, wasn't a smart enough move, was it?

You can’t, in all seriousness, believe that Kate O’Connell publicly supporting Bailey would have been the “smart” move? Can you? It may not have worked but that still doesn’t take away from it being the smartest choice “available”.

Most parties, and politicians, will distance themselves from any actions a member might engage in that garner, significant, public “disapproval”. Most parties, that is. Remains to be seen who’ll be there to pick up Jonathan Dowdall, whenever he gets out.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You can’t, in all seriousness, believe that Kate O’Connell publicly supporting Bailey would have been the “smart” move? Can you? It may not have worked but that still doesn’t take away from it being the smartest choice “available”.

Most parties, and politicians, will distance themselves from any actions a member might engage in that garner, significant, public “disapproval”. Most parties, that is. Remains to be seen who’ll be there to pick up Jonathan Dowdall, whenever he gets out.

your use of scare quotes is quite bizarre.

Advertisement