Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

Yes, next question

You could go via Carragh Hill also, if you're afraid of the Barna Road. Same distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

i like the scenary along the cycle path behind the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭rustyfrog

Afraid of the Barna Road? It's very hostile to anything that's not a motor vehicle (narrow footpath between fast moving cars and a stone wall).

Carragh Hill (Knocknacarra Road) isn't the same distance, it's further. Hundreds of meters are only negligible as a motorist.

Your stance is ridiculous, it's a public route that was made more accessible. The gap shouldn't have been so narrow to start with.

Wow, a lot of cyclists really embody the term "Snowflake". 

No wonder councillors waste so little time engaging with ye. 

Starting at the roundabout on the Ballymoneen Road: 

Ballymoneen Road to Blackrock via the Barna Road is 3km

Ballymoneen Road to Blackroack via Carragh Hill is 3km

Ballymoneen Road to Blackrock via this new passageway and the back of the golf club is 2.8km

200m extra, or increasing the journey by 7%

My arguement, this whole time, is that the opening up the passageway wasn't overly neccessary. It benefits very few people.

I've yet to be convinced otherwise. I dont think I have once mentioned cars in my arguements, but people keep bringing them up.

I have cycled from Knocknacarra to Salthill, well over 500 times. 

Enlighten me

How many accidents happenon the Barna Road? I never hear of any, but if you can point me to a few examples, that would be great

I do recall a pedestrian losing a leg there a few years back; there's no footpath in parts near Rusheen. There is a memorial at the entrance to Cappagh Road to a child too. Bound to be several other accidents, there was a man killed by a rock from a lorry a good time back too. It's really not the safest road, not terribly dangerous but not the safest.

I've humped my bike over that gap numerous times too, not a simple task. The improvement is one where there really isn't any conceivable downside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

But what about the boogeyman who'll be now free to prowl at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

The very specific boogeymen who weren't free to prowl there when the gap was narrower but who have free rein now that the gap has been widened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭xckjoo

New low in quality of whataboutery hysteria. Fair play.

Ironically I do live near a methadone clinic. Haven't noticed in the slightest. Wasn't even aware of it until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@[Deleted User] Wow, a lot of cyclists really embody the term "Snowflake". 

So let me make sure I'm getting this right.

Preferring to cycle away from a narrow main road with frequent aggressive close passing = 'snowflake'

Being worried about increased footfall on a public right of way, even though the young and fit were using it anyway, so the increased footfall will be weighted towards the less mobile = 'not a snowflake'

Have I got that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm assuming that's what he's worried about as I don't see any other issue?

200m is 400m on a return trip and that's significant for a regular buggy walk. For some journeys it'll be a tipping point between walk/cycle or drive.

Also it's not just a shortcut, it's about linking accessible routes through quieter streets. Linked up quiet routes are a cheap alternative to greenways while we await infrastructure.

If it "benefits very few people" then there would be minimal increased footfall through the gap so what's your issue?

Also congrats on the 500 cycles from Knocknacarra to Salthill, but improved active travel routes is for those not currently walking or cycling, it's not for those that are comfortable mixing with the current car traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the_galway_fry

the real problem here is the useless cants in charge have done nothing for any faction and theyve turned on each other

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Apologies if this has been asked recently but is there any fresh reason for the slow progress at the Galway clinic junction?

I've seen minimal progress since Christmas and there have always been contractors there when I've driven through so they are there every week it seems.

I've driven through it a few times in the last few weeks and it's the bumpiest work in progress I've ever driven on. Any competent contractor would at least smoothen or level off the temporary bit of road to drive on. If you're not careful there you'll destroy your shocks and suspension because it's like driving onto a footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The rock was very hard, now its very very hard? No idea why its so slow

Drove through it last night - there are some very rough and bumpy sections on it for sure - don't recall the other Roundabout conversion sites been like it when they were done.

I thought it could have been better lit as well, not obvious when its raining and dark how the junction layout is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Spot on re tipping point. A proper accessibility point like this can be the difference between somebody jumping into the car to do a journey or going via foot/bike/buggy/wheelchair.

I think linking accessible routes through quieter streets is far more important to the City in the long run than the proposed Greenways ( many for the City which will have a body of water to one side of them. Linkages onto the Greenway is very important though; the missed opportunities on Millars Lane is a case in point. The Council (not the Cllr's ) have such low standing - that I don't think people trust them to do things well so wish to stick to what they know. Real need engagement with Community's rather than just dropping leaflets in the door. Proactive maintenance in general is poor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Try cycling around GMIT roundabout at 8am,i like to live on the edge, but that's very dangerous, just to name one junction,and in Galway there are many!

Government need to do more than taking a few quid off the price of a bike and off you go- "now aren't we super green" attitude. Pure Irishness.

Properly planned out cycleways (we really don't plan well in Ireland)and not half assed ones with no engagement with locals where the planned routes are going to go, and then wonder why there is no local buy-in.

anyone been to tourist areas in France(vendee)/Hungary(Budapest)?

See how they do it,it can be done!

Update on Martin RAB works, looks like they are saying April for completion

More schools getting AT "works". Hopefully it won't just be paint and signage but I don't hold out much hope

• Advertisement

Greenway funding for the county

From Ciaran Cannon on FB

€300,000 for design phase of Athenry to Milltown greenway

I’m delighted to welcome an announcement today by Transport Minister Eamon Ryan of funding for the design phase of the Athenry to Milltown Greenway. Transport Infrastructure Ireland has allocated €300,000 to Galway County Council for the design phase of the greenway, which will connect the two East Galway towns. This is a vital investment in a greenway that will boost the economy of towns and villages along the route., and will enhance the quality of life of local residents.

I’m very grateful to Minister Ryan for his continued support for the Athenry to Milltown Greenway, he shares our ambition to develop a world class public amenity that has the potential to enhance the towns of Athenry, Tuam and Milltown and showcase our region to the world. This investment of €300,000 which was sought by Galway Co. Council will allow for the appointment of consultants to carry out the public engagement and design phase of the greenway and it follows on from a €75,000 investment in the carrying out of a feasibility study.

Galway Co. Council recently submitted the findings of that feasibility study to the Department of Transport and Transport Infrastructure Ireland. It outlines a number of potential routing options to connect Athenry to Milltown. The findings of that study have now been approved by TII and Minister Ryan has acted immediately to allocate €300,000 for the design phase. I will continue to engage with Minister Ryan and his colleagues to stress the urgency of getting this project underway as quickly as possible.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Good to see. Who's the spokesperson?

Also to bring this back to topic, what's people's thoughts on "rail with trail", where both a greenway & rail line are facilitated adjacent to each other? (with appropriate fencing of course!)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Apologies, Ciaran Cannon, on FB, post edited to add that, thought I stated it in the post originally

Also to bring this back to topic, what's people's thoughts on "rail & trail", where both a greenway & rail line are facilitated adjacent to each other? (with appropriate fencing of course!)

No issue with it, we already have it along some of the lines closer to Dublin I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 25,737 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good to see tourist facilities being developed.

Not sure what this has to do traffic though.

I’d consider the proposed greenway from Moycullen into the city using the Clifden trackbed to potentially be a popular commuting route into the city, especially with students. If ever in the future the rail itself ever returned, I would hope that “Rail with Trail” would be what it became.

Yes Moycullen to Galway City has big potential as a commuter greenway. Around 25-35min cycle on a fairly flat route.

• Advertisement

First time (for me) seeing what the Moycullen bypass looks like. Looking forward to seeing a more walkable Moycullen as a result of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement