Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

It's been said on here before that, if there actually was a comprehensive plan on offer, that included modern public transport, improved active travel, and a ring road (it's not a bypass), then many of the objections would evaporate. But nobody is offering that, and I don't see 'a huge majority of residents' calling for it. What I do see is significant proportion of the population who do want the ring road, because they think it will 'solve' the traffic problems but are unaware that it would actually only recreate the same traffic problems on a larger scale. Then you have a smaller group, who do understand that they will be just creating more of the same traffic problems, but consider that to be a good outcome because it serves their narrow interests. Whether it is a direct interest in land that will become more valuable as a result, or an indirect interest in promoting car based growth.

If the majority of the population thinks we should add Monster to our drinking water, because they mistakenly believe it will solve some problem or other, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. When you've got an influential minority who want something that suits their own narrow purposes, but who convince a wider section of the population that it will give them some imaginary benefit with no basis in reality, that needs to be called out.

So the aspiration for a 'comprehensive plan' has disappeared already? Just the bypass (that's not a bypass, because it will feed more traffic into the city, not around it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

The arrogance is off the scale, ye know whats best for the rest of us🤣. Galway people will insist that Galway receives what it needs eventually and it will include a by pass/ ring road.

Thats one way of getting it over the line I suppose, just give the projects you deem worthy, a free pass lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭ratracer

Even though the City and County council planners, the ones who want to build the road, have openly said that this road will increase traffic and do nothing to alleviate traffic on the city??

Perhaps I’m going crazy from sitting in the traffic, but there is no solution for everyone to drive where they feel like, when they want, that is achievable by adding more roads!

Just look at M50 in Dublin as a key example of how it doesn’t work!

And I’m a driver, who likes driving, not creating traffic, but also a bit of a realist!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Whatever about the GCRR, I think there is a need for more bridges over the Corrib.

Build on the former railway pillars, use that for walking + cycling (maybe busses?)

A bridge from Dangan to behind the Menlo Park hotel?

• Advertisement

The railway bridge proposal just got 10k funding

The new Salmon Weir bridge will open soon

There'll be another pedestrian/cycling bridge added further down towards Bowling Green

Lastly, the Wolfe Tone bridge is getting a second cantilever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The planned bridge at Bowling Green, do you know where it will link to?

Is there access from Bowling Green street out to the eastern conduit canal and the river?

On the other side, where might the access be?

Might that bridge be linked to the planned redevelopment of sites in Nuns Island?

There's no detailed plans yet but my best guess is marked below

Anyone who bothered to look at the submissions from the two Councils knows that the even they are not claiming that the ring road will 'solve Galway's traffic problems'. The submissions are clear that they even anticipate that there will be more traffic on many city centre roads if/when the ring road opens. Is it really 'arrogance' to point this out when someone tells you, yet again, that the 'bypass' is needed 'to fix Galway's traffic'.

The dogs on the street have known for more than a decade that people connected with the local branches of certain political parties have amassed land banks along the proposed route of the ring road and stand to make a killing if it gets built. They are the only people the road would benefit. The rest of us will just be sitting in the same traffic we're sitting in today, only there will be even more of us sitting in it, as we'll be joined by tens of thousands stuck living in new estates behind Barna with no means to get anywhere except by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,797 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agreed.

And not just pedestrian bridges either.

I am not in favour of the whole ring road concept. But I do think we need a 2nd all purpose bridge, ideally with motorised-vehicle lanes each way, plus associated active-travel lanes. For redundancy/resilience as much as anything.

I also think we need comprehensive demand-reduction strategies, including compulsory school zoning, tax-incentives on long-commute hiring, and more. As well as enhanced public transport.

• Advertisement

The #Sundays4Safety folks will be at Skerritt RAB this weekend to highlight the dangerous situation for pedestrians and cyclists at that spot. 5 min interview at the link below on the topic

This is following a serious collision where a man in his 30's was hit by a lorry at that RAB

The proposed Galway Ring Road cannot go ahead despite the plans getting a second look by An Bord Pleanála, Transport Minister Eamon Ryan has said.

“It vital that all our transport plans deliver the 50pc reduction in emissions we need this decade and go net zero in three [decades],” he said.

“The National Transport Authority, the local authority and our department are going to have to look at a new transport strategy for Galway that meets that climate target.

“You can’t just go ahead and build roads that have an induced traffic system that means you can’t meet the climate targets.

“So the plans for Galway are going to have to change. The exact elements of that, the combination of new public transport and other infrastructure, will be the outcome of that process.

“But the existing plans, the existing way of doing things is not going to progress. You have to heed what the law says – you put climate at the centre of everything we do.”

This bodes well for the GTS review underway. Though its very likely that they'll have to "retire" Brendan McGrath to see any real progress/shift in attitudes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I can't believe Sean Kyne actually said the ring road is needed to free up space for city centre projects.

Whatever side of the fence your on, this line of thinking means no change for almost 10 years. It's crazy to think that people think another 10 years of the current status is in anyway acceptable.

Even if the ring road work began this year then work still needs to happen at the same time for public transport upgrades and not waiting any longer.

I think some people must have been disappointed when Pauline said she supports the Moycullen bypass, so much for The Greens being against all roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

Hard to take ocuiv or Sean kyne seriously regarding transport strategy when you see the villages around Galway city such as Moycullen and Barna not having a single sheltered bus stop, it's awful to see kids and the elderly getting soaked wet waiting for buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭rustyfrog

Anything to back up those claims of politically linked land banks? I've often suspected this but haven't gone to check the land registry along the route.

Galway is a small place so I'm not going to go into detail that might identify me or anyone else. The best I can say is that I have first hand knowledge of one prominent figure doing the same thing in other locations; getting the inside track on local development plans, buying land as part of a consortium, and then using influence to make sure the plans happen. I haven't been in direct contact with this person for years, so I don't have first hand knowledge that the same happened in regards to the ring road, but someone in contact with both of us has told me this is the case.

So it's hearsay, but to my mind it's credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Well that settles that. They should withdraw the abp application

sure is convenient timing to just "happen" across this information now, just as the thing gets denied permisson.

It's not just the far right or far left that does politico shenanigans...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sean is speaking to his audience and Pauline is speaking to her's. Agree its madness to have a do nothing approach until ring road is built.

I agree with Pauline on Moycullen been bypassed, I would do the same for Claregalway, should have happened decades ago. Unlike Galway City - these towns are not the primary destination of vehicles that are passing through them.

These towns need to be radically altered once that occurs - they cannot be left as is.

Oranmore is ready for this conversion NOW.

Something as simple as stopping through traffic will make the town more walking and cycling friendly. Sof if your coming in the Maree Road via car to get to the Oranmore Town Centre - have to use the N67. This is what many European towns put in place

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭GBXI

Gimme a break! A load of "I heard on the grapevine that there is corruption involved in the new road". I have no doubt, if a developer has any brains at all, that they will purchase land in key strategic locations of development - there's nothing wrong with that. On the topic of the road being built just to benefit these developers, here's an introductory statement from the submission to ABP, "The N6 GCRR is a key component of the GTS to ensure the delivery of the full transport strategy for Galway which aims to reduce dependency on private cars and bring about significant modal shift to public transport and active modes".

Just look at the number of roads connected to the new road, but within the city boundaries, that will be improved because of this project.

• Advertisement

He says this can be seen as a test case – which effectively puts public transport up against private transport.

that is the absolute opposite of how it has to be. We need a full toolbox of options, one complementing the other and vice versa. I can remember an incident where a wheelchair user & his carer were effed and blinded out of it by a Bus Eireann driver for having the audacity to ask that a stroller be folded for them. It's him & the most vulnerable I'm thinking of in the back of our county's ambulances that I think of. All it will take is one gridlock day where a major incident happens, and Galway wards are empty, doctors waiting, but help comes from Limerick, Ballinasloe, Tullamore instead.

Quite a bit of hyperbole there…… for all the talk about them, the emergency services don’t have any huge issue getting through the traffic. Yes it can be a little slower at some pinch points, but this won’t necessarily be alleviated by any ring road. Choke points will still exist.

as for empty wards and doctors waiting…come on now, have you missed all the news reports of the last how many years…?? The emergency services, I’d imagine, don’t even come into any consideration at any stage of GCRR.

Mind you, the same councillors who couldn’t give a toss about them made sure to weaponise them as much as they could re the cycle lane trial!

Post edited by ratracer on

come back to me when there's another Salthill Sunday, in a higher population galway city. then I'll listen t yuor BS platitudes.

the Minister was damned lucky the weather was good enough that helicopter could fly to him when his Mam had the accident (RIP)

An ambulance going to Connemara from the hospital wouldn’t be going through Salthill in normal circumstances. Are you sure the traffic was the reason for the delay?

Also, a bypass wouldn’t have had any effect on Salthill Sunday’s. All the cars were there for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

That would be brilliant if it was to happen. What I think it more realistic is to make the town one way and then the castle road one way so you create a loop. This would allow the footpaths to be widened and a cycle lane added.

gaslighting earns you an ignore, rat.

And you can keep ignoring the facts just because they don’t suit!

Good day to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,906 ✭✭✭✭zell12

TG4 reporting that the ring road is going ahead according to the Tánaiste, despite Ryan saying otherwise

• Advertisement

I said this in another thread, they (Leo, Michael & Eamonn) can all say what they want, and they will (not going to pass up the chance of airtime) but not one of them will decide this.

It will be ABP who will most likely reject it in 2025/2026 as I see little chance of it getting past the CAP. If by some remote chance they approve it, it will be up to the courts after that who will also be taking the CAP into account in any environmental challenges. If it ends up in European Courts, there isn't a snowballs chance of it getting approved.

Now as regards ER's comments, that was primarily in reference to the GTS and it really does give me hope that we're going to see a massive beefing up of AT & PT measures in the next version of it with a drastically reduced emphasis on the GCRR if its even mentioned at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement