Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonder Woman 1984

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

did it matter in the end whether people renounced or not once our villain did? I was thinking more that it didnt which made all the scenes kinds redundant and that it wouldnt make sense otherwise as its not plausible that everyone would

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Yep, agree with that. I think once lord renounced his wish, it voided all. It’s a convenient out, but the plot was well beyond saving at that stage.

The point PJ was making was about people accepting truth. If you wish for something you want, whether it’s an election result, or to be rid of a horrible pandemic, cured from an illness, or bring back the loss of a loved one, as soon this wish becomes instantly true just because you wished it, you stop living in reality and start living in a fantasy. It’s better to accept the truth, because that’s the reality of the world we live in.

For the times we live in, it’s a poignant message and why I believe the film was so well reviewed upon its release, it’s just terribly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

kerplun k wrote: »
    Finally available here in Ireland.

Found this to be a mixed bag. It’s the first film I’ve got a chance to sit down and watch in a while so think I enjoyed it a bit more than I normally would have.

It started off great, the message from the opening ceremony, and the tone throughout the movie about the truth being the truth, the truth should be enough, because it’s the only thing, seemed very on the nose for the real life events currently unfolding, especially in a time when so many people are so unwilling to accept basic truths. I actually thought it was very poignant.

It’s frustrating that PJ can get this part of the movie so right, but then fail so miserably on other aspects, it’s riddled with plot holes, the whole wish concept contradicts itself, the film depicts all men as toxic idiots, Kinda like the way that gillette ad, Birds of pray, the kitchen, Hustlers, they all did this as well and It’s not entertaining. Have a bit of nuance for feck sake. It’s especially disappointing here considering the film is essentially about hope and somewhat delivered on that message, but then PJ spews out this one dimensional tripe.

The thing is, with a few tweaks, it could have been so much better, for example, did they really need to do that with Steve Trevor?.. really ? Did the guys working at the museum have to be such asshats, it’s very poor writing and could have easily been fixed.

In any case, I did rather enjoy it. A nice message for the times we live in, the cast are all likeable and for the most part is a fun movie, you just need to ignore some sloppy writing and put your suspension of disbelief into maximum overdrive.

Eh. It was available here in December. I should know. I went and seen it and it's one of the 5 or 6 movies I got to see last year in the cinema.

:D

Apologies, meant for home viewing, I’d have loved to seen this in the cinema.

kerplun k wrote: »
    Yep, agree with that. I think once lord renounced his wish, it voided all. It’s a convenient out, but the plot was well beyond saving at that stage.

The point PJ was making was about people accepting truth. If you wish for something you want, whether it’s an election result, or to be rid of a horrible pandemic, cured from an illness, or bring back the loss of a loved one, as soon this wish becomes instantly true just because you wished it, you stop living in reality and start living in a fantasy. It’s better to accept the truth, because that’s the reality of the world we live in.

For the times we live in, it’s a poignant message and why I believe the film was so well reviewed upon its release, it’s just terribly executed.

I got that telling kids not to cheat in sports is a good life lesson but she was a bit weak on stealing from your employer and rohypnoling fellow humans and using them as f### dolls :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    I got that telling kids not to cheat in sports is a good life lesson but she was a bit weak on stealing from your employer and rohypnoling fellow humans and using them as f### dolls :pac:

I know, wtf were they thinking. The mind boggles. When the final script was handed out, did no one think to point out the iffy details of Steve Trevors resurrection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,952 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So re. the body swap, it gets ... weirder. Insofar as it's 2020 and apparently one must divine meaning from retweets :rolleyes: Jenkins retweeted someone else's theory that the Body Swap is somehow(?), actually an inversion and highlights just how problematic that trope was in the 80s. I mean she could just be playfully agreeing with a batshít theory but the whole arc begged more questions than were answered.

Even if that was genuinely Jenkins intention - and in of iself was not a bad idea if it was a subversion - it in no way came across in the final film: it's never openly challenged as creepy, while the final scene where - oh lovely - Diana & the Host Body have their meet-cute was definitely played in a positive spin. Diana finds love again - and she already took it for a spin!

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/1344386851453300736

pixelburp wrote: »
    So re. the body swap, it gets ... weirder. Insofar as it's 2020 and apparently one must divine meaning from retweets :rolleyes: Jenkins retweeted someone else's theory that the Body Swap is somehow(?), actually an inversion and highlights just how problematic that trope was in the 80s. I mean she could just be playfully agreeing with a batshít theory but the whole arc begged more questions than were answered.

Even if that was genuinely Jenkins intention - and in of iself was not a bad idea if it was a subversion - it in no way came across in the final film: it's never openly challenged as creepy, while the final scene where - oh lovely - Diana & the Host Body have their meet-cute was definitely played in a positive spin. Diana finds love again - and she already took it for a spin!

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/1344386851453300736

I read your post and the link, still confused - it was trying to do what, again?!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,952 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I read your post and the link, still confused - it was trying to do what, again?!?

Honestly I'm not sure myself, but it's the first time I've seen or heard Jenkins even tangentially address or acknowledge the ... arc?

I guess the tweet is kinda saying that because the finale reverted all wishes, her sex with Mr. Host was also reverted so doesn't count as non consensual?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Honestly I'm not sure myself, but it's the first time I've seen or heard Jenkins even tangentially address or acknowledge the ... arc?

I guess the tweet is kinda saying that because the finale reverted all wishes, her sex with Mr. Host was also reverted so doesn't count as non consensual?

So Diana was happy to use his body, as a sex toy, without knowing that she could "undo" it (even though she still obviously remembers it...)
    So if Diana remembers it, it still happened, just that the host does not. Hmmmm there is a name for having sex with a non conscious person...

What a load of retroactive nonsense.
    They may have been playing up to the body swap films but no way in hell is it similar.
    There was no swap going on, that guy's mind was displaced.

Diana was happy that a guy was dead, for all intents, so that Steve could live
    She was happy to have sex with that stolen body

And what really drives this home is they did not stop to even care about where the "host" consciousness had gone.

It's Body Snatcher level of wrongness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

When watching it I kind of just took it as Diana losing her morality when she made the wish, doing a deal with the devil as it were.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    When watching it I kind of just took it as Diana losing her morality when she made the wish, doing a deal with the devil as it were.

Pity that guy who wished for Coffee so.

But did she lose her morality, she seems to be doing fine on that front in every other aspect of the film. You only see her slowly lose her powers.
    So either the script is wildly uneven or the direction was crap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Pity that guy who wished for Coffee so.

But did she lose her morality, she seems to be doing fine on that front in every other aspect of the film. You only see her slowly lose her powers.
    So either the script is wildly uneven or the direction was crap...

Yeah the morality angle is bogus, it seems like Jenkins never thought to consider the ramifications of her decision. Which isn't surprising when you take into account how absolutely horrific the rest of the script is, and how ill thought through most decisions are in the movie.

On her "slowly losing her powers". That's another interesting one because we see her discover a new power when she makes an entire plane invisible. Doesn't she say that a relative only was able to do it to a cup?

And on the power thing, sometimes shes strong, sometimes shes not - we really have no frame of reference to how powerful she should be. It's done as more of a Spiderman 2 type thing where Peter randomly can't use his webbing anymore but when he can he is still very effective, rather than a gradual weakening.

And on the morality point - does that count for everyone that made a wish? Is it immoral for a dying person to wish to live? For a person in a wheelchair to wish to walk? For a mother to be able to feed her starving children? Strange that they just renounced all those wishes! And if Max renouncing his renounces all others, then why would Kristin Wiig not still have Dianas strength? She made that wish before Max got the stone right? If that's the case why is Diana even talking to everybody?

It’s good thing for Diana that the guy was good looking.

Imagine if you reversed genders, but not only that, the guys girlfriend was a 3/10 in the looks department, and jumps into the body of Gal Gadot. :D:D:D

Now that’s the movie I wanna see PJ make next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Slydice wrote: »
    Brazil Comic Con Trailer
    Just a trash can! :D
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    Google and Reddit to the rescue

Thanks lads. Just seeing these now. I enjoyed the remix far more than the film. The film was grand. Easy watch, won’t go back to it

The above reminds that among the film's other egregious missteps, the absence of any 1980s needle drops was another big one. Who sets a movie so overtly in that decade - a decade synonymous with great, iconic pop music - then fails to use a single example?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,338 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Watched this yesterday and my biggest issue is the physics of wonder woman.

Everything thing she did felt floaty or just didn't feel like there was any real momentum or impact. Just didn't feel like she was connected to the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I didn't read the thread. I searched one key word, and there was only one hit.. So I dunno but..

So everyone has the chance to undo Trump/brexit mistake if they really wish really hard... Was it meant to be subtle

Is that it. Is that thr film? Ww1 I had a lump in my throat when she went over the top, it was a gorgeous piece of cinema that I wasn't expecting, and gleefully applauded. And then she hooked up with Steve and again, for a one film romance, it felt real, earned, tangible.

This is horrendous. I don't care about the body swap rape thing. Come on, it's an old trope, just don't think too hard about it and like it for the niceness it is.but for me it actually really undermines the #woman factor of the film. They blatantly thought Gal couldn't carry the film without Chris Pine, which is the most damning thing.

Gal looks, talks, feels like Wonder woman. That slide kick thing she does is hers, she gets to keep it. Mwa. So why did she need fluff of dressing up her boyf like a barbie, her boyf teaching her how to fly, her boyf saving her in Egypt, and on. Thsts what I'm annoyed about, and don't get me started on cheetah who wished to be sexy and strong like Mary sue diana.

I'm a bloke who likes strong female characters, when a bloke is a motivation it really takes me out of it. If you're gonna have her lose her powers because she wished a bloke back, that's actually a better metaphor for me,not slowly slowly. Sacrifice your independence for a guy it'll paralyse you, I get that. But slowly slowly? Nah

Wonder woman's armour... I don't read thr comics
    I don't get it. It wasn't a thing for me to mark out on. I'm sure someone somewhere squeaked but meh.

Did wiig have to be in the film. It sounded like films 2 and 3 got squished together.. Yet the film was really long.

Everyone is praising Pedro... I thought he was so hammy. I love Mando.. I know he does subtle father.. This was... Yeah I just didn't understand because it was like he was in a diff film in terms of desperation compared to godot and pine.

Again, I loved Ww1, thought it was great. This was worse than BvS. I'm happy I saw this but... I'm disappointed.

Also, why did Zimmer rehash I think inception music for the flight when he could have done anything, anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Smacruairi wrote: »

Also, why did Zimmer rehash I think inception music for the flight when he could have done anything, anything else.

It's John Murphy's "Surface of the Sun" from Sunshine.
    I found it a bizarre inclusion, given they had Zimmer at their disposal. They could have rehashed Man Of Steel's "Flight" if they were feeling lazy and it would have been a nice nod to the wider DC arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I found it a bizarre inclusion, given they had Zimmer at their disposal. They could have rehashed Man Of Steel's "Flight" if they were feeling lazy and it would have been a nice nod to the wider DC arena.

I thought the John Murphy music worked really really well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Presumedly a case of temp track love. It's when a director falls in love with a track from the temp track and nothing the composer comes up is good enough to replace it. Most likely Zimmer did his own thinly veiled copy of the Sunshine track but Jenkins still couldn't let go of it.

Temp tracks, ropey FX that bordered on unfinished, pacing and script all over the place ... You'd wonder who made the call this was feature complete, to use the tech term ...

Completely forgot about that. I also remember thinking it was odd when watched that scene and thinking something as high profile as this really should have its own original music. I really like the Wonder Woman theme they use in the DCEU, a version of that would have been good for that scene also.

Wiig was also miscast, although she is the best person to play wiig, she is nearly 50 , which kind of puts her outside the bracket of the mousey new girl on the block, Ive never met any 50 year old women who want to become an "apex predator"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Well, that was a film that wanted to be about being carfeul what you wish for but was a cheater/cheetah pun for two and a half hours.

Also, young!Diana outpacing her elders for most of a reputedly difficult race in her first attempt says everything about DC's attitude to superheroes.

Ridley wrote: »
    Well, that was a film that wanted to be about being carfeul what you wish for but was a cheater/cheetah pun for two and a half hours.

the amusing aside is that if the movie was about truth not cheating/taking short cuts why did Jenkins herself make a movie that's full of cheats and conveniences :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And look at the consequences that came from it

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And look at the consequences that came from it

ah man everyone is on fire today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DonnaNol

I've been waiting for this movie for so long, but it turned out to be just boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Very poor movie. The first film was decent but this one was a shambles. Did they change the writers or something?
    Hard to see the franchise recovering from this!

Advertisement