Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second layer

• 23-10-2019 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,

My physio suggests I put on a second layer at around the 20 mile mark to reduce heat loss in the closing stages, which he believes leads to reduced performance. Quite the opposite of what everybody else, including myself, does. He refers to the many runners verging on hyperthermia at the finish, wearing tin foil blankets. He suggests a light long-sleeved top which can either be carried to that point, or preferably, have an appointed person at the stage of the race to hand it to you. Not sure I take this, any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thoughts would be :D:D:D:D

That person has clearly never done any running, probably not even run for a bus. If they think that people being chilly and so wearing foil blankets after they have stopped running means that they are getting cold during the last 10km whilst still running they are totally clueless.

Reducing heat loss is not the problem, one of the main issues with marathon running is increasing the heat loss efficiency (except where running in the middle of a storm or up a mountain). The foil blankets at the end are because you have been generating so much heat for the previous few hours, and desperately trying to get rid off it, then the sudden lack of generating heat once you stop but you are still trying to get rid of that heat means it very quickly goes the other way and you get cold. The foil blankets are to help you deal with that whilst you find your way to you kit bag with clothes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    Hi,

My physio suggests I put on a second layer at around the 20 mile mark to reduce heat loss in the closing stages, which he believes leads to reduced performance. Quite the opposite of what everybody else, including myself, does. He refers to the many runners verging on hyperthermia at the finish, wearing tin foil blankets. He suggests a light long-sleeved top which can either be carried to that point, or preferably, have an appointed person at the stage of the race to hand it to you. Not sure I take this, any thoughts?

Beware of false prophets. Only go to a Physio who runs for this reason. Again GP can just be just as dumb when it comes to the sport.

Advertisement