Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Issues

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't understand the "sit on the fence bit". What else could they have chosen out of A) Extraction or B) Root canal, which they did?

I'm sure it's frustrating for dentists on here to have people question their work, it happens all the time. Do you think this is a symptom of Dentists not explaining treatment fully?

Only the last two posts above this one state that the it's the intricacies are what make the difference in treatment, while the OP has been told conflicting basic information from two different professionals in person (not a receptionist).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

In the very first post the opt say they were undecided. Your also putting a lot of weight on the OP to have listened properly and now related the dentists advice to the thread accurately.

All you think you know is what the OP is saying. The dentists on the thread have treated thousands of patients with the same issues, and are letting the thread know that this is an issues with the OP and not the dentist, because they (we) know exactly how the conversation went.

Dentist: " Well Mr. JGL10 after looking at the tooth, listening to your symptoms and looking at X-rays I can tell you you dont have a visible abscess. You likely have a inflamed pulp in the tooth this is probably irreversible. The only option is to remove the nerve in the tooth (a root canal) or remove the tooth itself. A root canal costs more that an extraction and you will need a crown on it afterwards. What do you want to do?

Mr. JGL10 " I dont knowm I want to save the tooth, but the root canal is expensive and I want to be out of pain. I there nothing else can be done"

Dentist "Well I could do a quick first stage root canal treatment, it will probably take away the pain but its not as complete as a proper root canal, it will give you time to think on this and come back next week for definitive proper treatment"

Mr. JGL10 "ok so long as the pain goes away, I had a toothache before you know."

Dentist "Yes I know, we should probably talk about prevention once this painful episode is over and I see you have not returned for a checkup and only ever attend in pain"

Few days later

Mr. JGL10 "Dentist I am still in pain, you said the last treatment would fix this tooth, just take it out I cannot be dealing with this pain or paying for root canals"

Dentist "OK, the first stage root canal was X amount and thats more than an extraction so I will comp that as a very kind gesture of goodwill as I appreciate you are in pain and I am a nice dentist. "

Two days later on the internet

The dentist did a root canal treatment that didn't work and now they should pay for me to have an implant...

Dentist "Well I could do a quick first stage root canal treatment, it will probably take away the pain but its not as complete as a proper root canal, it will give you time to think on this and come back next week for definitive proper treatment"

What does "first stage" mean in this context? I'm genuinely curious as I have a planned root canal tomorrow, and two follow up visits already booked.

It was my understanding that root canals always took more than one visit, hence the "first stage", and so the OP proceeding with it was best right course of action but were still berated for being undecided.

I didn't know it was something that could be "done on the cheap" for want of a better phrase, and to be fair that wasn't explained at all until the last couple of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

What does "first stage" mean in this context? I'm genuinely curious as I have a planned root canal tomorrow, and two follow up visits already booked.

It was my understanding that root canals always took more than one visit, hence the "first stage", and so the OP proceeding with it was best right course of action but were still berated for being undecided.

I didn't know it was something that could be "done on the cheap" for want of a better phrase, and to be fair that wasn't explained at all until the last couple of posts.

I'm no endodontist but....
    Root canals can be done in one or multiple sittings for various reasons.
    Typically the first stage was the cleaning and shaping of the canals and the second stage being the filling of the root canal system.... other combos can be done.... If definite on having the root canal, then great care is taken in the cleaning and shaping of the canals for filling later...

The "first stage" that has been mentioned above usually refers to a quick opening and cleaning of the root canal system with little or no shaping of the canals for eventual filling. It aims to remove the inflamed pulpal tissue and placement of a calming dressing in the canal. This also should remove the dead/dying material that would lead to apical infection above the tooth root.
    It usually helps most patients but residual pain can remain if not all pulpal tissue was removed because of odd canal anatomy or infection can still develop because bacteria can sometimes still proliferate despite our best efforts....
    A first stage can get a patient out of pain until they make up their mind.... It can also be a great interim treatment for the dentist who may not have the time to do the root canal properly there and then...
    A first stage without a definitive clean shape and filling will eventually fail as bacteria eventually get into the unfilled canal again....

Hi Oral Surgeon,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this, I really appreciate the detail you've gone to - it could certainly be a sticky.

I hope that the OP will also understand that the dentist seems to have made the best effort they could but was unfortunate in the outcome at no fault of the dentist.

Off topic:
    Had mine this morning, done and dusted in 30 minutes as it seemed to be a relatively incomplex procedure since the tooth was just discoloured as opposed to any infection being present (yet). I know people often complain about the cost, and it's certainly expensive, but in my case there were three staff to one patient, and a lot of single-use equipment used. I buy optical equipment in work all the time, and I can say you'd buy a nice car for the price of the microscope that was used. As they say, you're paying for the years experience, not the minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement