Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't you married?

Options
  • 16-10-2019 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Are you married? If not, do you plan to? Is it something you want or think would be good for you? Or is it a thumbs down from you?

I'm married near two years now. I'd highly recommend it. Not to my wife though. She's taken.

Why aren't you married? 259 votes

I don't know
    67% 174 votes
    I'm divorced
    3% 8 votes
    I am married
    1% 4 votes
    Can't find anyone
    12% 33 votes
    Don't want to
    4% 12 votes
    Not allowed to
    10% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

These days we have to ask are you a man or a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Not married yet. With the person for twenty years. Getting married in two weeks. eek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I know a guy who got hitched in Vegas and now he’s miserable. That’s right he’s got the shotgun blues

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Was married. Didn't like it, so I gave it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm getting married in 2021
    Living with the wife to be years with kids so can't see it changing anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Meh divorced but with an amazing woman now.
    Planning to pop the question next year all going well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm single.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lady I'm seeing now is hopefully old enough (36 next month) for any dreams of weddings etc to have been crushed by now and given up upon. Wedding is my worst nightmare so hopefully can avoid till I die :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm getting married in 2021
    Living with the wife to be years with kids so can't see it changing anything

I was in the same position and I thought the same but it does change things in a good way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I will never identify myself as married :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Had brief dalliance with marriage a good few years ago. It was very much a case of ‘marry in haste repent at leisure’. Very happily divorced now and seeing a great guy. I would happily get married again but don’t think the other half is keen on it at the moment. His legal separation is in its early stages and it’s fairly acrimonious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Married 4 years. As happy now as i was when i met her near on 10 years ago.

I have no regrets in life. I was banging different ladies for years on end and just got sick of it and decided i wanted to settle down when i hit 30. Happened to meet wifey 4 weeks after my 30th birthday and been with each other ever since.

However i have a close friend who is married with 3 kids, both he and his wife are having affairs but they are staying with each other for "the kids" real shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Eh, the effort.

If we ever buy property I guess we better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Hopefully next year we'll finally lock in the contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Hopefully next year we'll finally lock in the contract.

Is your OH aware of this "contract" yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'd highly recommend it.
    Go on then - why? Any reason aside from financial?

Married? What? The very thought of it feels like a rope curling around my heart and lungs and sucking the life out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Married? What? The very thought of it feels like a rope curling around my heart and lungs and sucking the life out of me.

I'm same Perse. Happy as a single gal.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I can’t get a dog to bark at me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I am a Westmeath bachelor and my age is 33.
    I don't intend to marry or to raise a family.
    Sure I'm happy and contented just to live the single life.
    And that's the reason why i don't intend to take a wife.

in all seriousness though, that is fairly accurate except I live in Cork and not westmeath.
    I have no intention of marrying. I prefer spending my quality time with my friends and then having a few causal liaisons with a few fwbs i have.

No intention to marry as it just seems like work and obligation that will only end up with being stale and pissed off with eachother . I haven't got the patience for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I am 27 and have never had a serious relationship, only dated for a couple weeks each. I do not see myself getting a serious relationship let alone a marriage anytime soon.

Not everybody is as lucky in the love department sadly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Abort proposal.

Abort proposal.

On an unrelated note, anyone want to buy 1000 doves by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I have no interest in marriage. If it wasn't for the legal aspect of it, I probably wouldn't bother with marrying at all. As it stands, the legal part of it isn't relevant, so until there is a reason to get married, I probably won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I am. Less sex but more tax credits... so I use the extra money to buy sex..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's kind of how I view dating. If successful, it might lead to marriage at which point I'd fear losing my independence and freedom.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Abort proposal.

Abort proposal.

On an unrelated note, anyone want to buy 1000 doves by any chance?

:D

Sometimes I feel sad that I haven't ever been chosen. Like I can't imagine what it must be like to have someone make a decision to want to be with me always. Thing is though it's more about that feeling of being 'picked' than the actual person doing the 'picking'.

I have something in my eye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I'm not married.

The thoughts of marrying someone who is high maintenance and doesn't give me breathing space doesn't sound appealing.

Now, someone who will love me enough but leave me alone a lot of the time, respect my independence and not be non-stop chattering sounds right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Married for 6 years or so, together a lot longer than that (our daughter just turned 11!). The tax credits and an extra date to have to remember to buy her a present for would be the main difference tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'd like to get married at some point but can't afford to rent never mind a wedding. I'd like a wedding even if its just a small event.

Not planning on having kids so it wouldn't be as important to me. If I was to have kids I like the idea of everyone having the same name and being the one unit.Probably wouldn't bother changing my name otherwise.

Advertisement