Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Reveal Parties?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

AllForIt wrote: »
    Munroe Bergdorf : “If I had it my way then no one would have to come out,” she said. “But we do live in a society where cisgendered people are seen as the default."

Yes, in the same way we see the sky as blue, the sun as hot and grass as green. It's also handy for procreation that this is the case.

Whatever about gender reveal parties in themselves the idea they are damaging to transgender or non-binary folk is ludicrous. There is no prevailing damaging attitude that needs to be fixed. I've noticed transgender activists are good at making up issues where none exists.

I just happened across this last night worth a watch for the cringe. Why a gay person would take to the airwaves to defend the transgender cause is beyond me. Imagine if Martin Luther King was in fact white...you'd have to say...why would you get involved to that level. This is related to a controversy concerning Piers Morgan and a call for him to be sacked for insulting the transgender community.

The best and worst thing about that interview was that there was a trans person sitting beside the gay guy, who completely agreed with Piers and was trying to explain how the gay guy's opinions were hurting trans people but he wouldn't listen. This fool was acting like a martyr for trans rights, while completely ignoring everything the trans person had to say. It was glorious to see him being taken down but also sad to see how the struggles of trans people are being hijacked by "well intentioned" morons.

I don't want to drag this off topic so I'll bring it back to gender reveal parties. Most are grand, if attention seeking but there has been some that have caused serious consequences. One started a fire that caused millions in damages.

A car burst caught flames in Australia.

I know the above two examples aren't the norm but it's insane the lengths people will go for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I don't mind it if other people want to have them but I find them very silly.

Friends were pressuring us to have one, because they had it for their second, but I've decided to keep the mystery until the baby is born much to their dismay.
    In saying that, I think it's really catching on here. I've heard of quite a few people having them in the past year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Look at the spoiled bitch at 1.53 - like a rich kid that didn't get the right colour car at christmas ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To be honest, some of the ideas in the videos are kinda creative (although waaay over the top!) and the idea isn't as stupid as I thought.

I mean - strip it down - most people will have some sort of a celebration when pregnant, why not this? I think the ego problems start when you have a baby shower AND a gender reveal part AND something else and the whole thing becomes downright narcissistic.

Ultimately, it's just a party and people have parties. Birthday parties anniversary parties, weddings and so on. The only issue people have is when they overdo it, and I'd agree with the criticisms in this respect.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

To be honest, some of the ideas in the videos are kinda creative (although waaay over the top!) and the idea isn't as stupid as I thought.

I mean - strip it down - most people will have some sort of a celebration when pregnant, why not this? I think the ego problems start when you have a baby shower AND a gender reveal part AND something else and the whole thing becomes downright narcissistic.

Ultimately, it's just a party and people have parties. Birthday parties anniversary parties, weddings and so on. The only issue people have is when they overdo it, and I'd agree with the criticisms in this respect.

It's obscene and ultra ultra narcissistic, people that see themselves as this important must be horrible horrible people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's obscene and ultra ultra narcissistic, people that see themselves as this important must be horrible horrible people.

So.... how is this different from any other type of celebration party? I mean, at the end of the day you could say that about most family parties are about focus attention on someone.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement