Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo - New MVNO on eir Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

cal60 wrote: »
    There should be no issue with incoming mail so long as your settings are correct. The issue might be with sending mail as the Eir SMTP server might not recognise your GoMo as being on its network . You could of course simply connect to Eir webmail through your mobiles browser and work from there .

I'll paraphrase your post to ask my question again

Can anybody tell us if the Eir outgoing mail SMTP server (smtp.eircom.net) will recognise our GoMo mobiles as being on the eir network ?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

pg17 wrote: »
    GoMO confirmed to me that the 45,000 minutes is per month. :)

Even though there are only 44,640 minutes in a 31-day month!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Tesco Mobile have had the same wording for years......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Quackster wrote: »

I guess the only way you could burn through it was by adding in multiple people to calls all month long!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Quackster wrote: »

Well there would be 44,641 in October......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Can anybody tell us if the Eir outgoing mail SMTP server (smtp.eircom.net) will recognise our GoMo mobiles as being on the eir network ?

I don't know, but why is it important. Your mail server and data subscription aren't related.

PG17 Can anybody tell us if the Eir outgoing mail SMTP server (smtp.eircom.net) will recognise our GoMo mobiles as being on the eir network ?
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    I don't know, but why is it important. Your mail server and data subscription aren't related.

The eir SMTP server accepts logon from the eir network and rejects logon from other networks.

I am hoping the eir SMTP server will treat the GoMO network as an eir network. If it does I can use my Android and Windows mail clients to send mails; if it does not, I would have to use a non eircom.net email address or use eir webmail for sending.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Does anyone know how much they charge for international calls and texts, and if tethering is permitted (if so, what are the costs)? I couldn't find anything relevant on their website.

New Home wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much they charge for international calls and texts, and if tethering is permitted (if so, what are the costs)? I couldn't find anything relevant on their website.

The out of bundle charges are here
    https://gomo.ie/wp-content/uploads/mobile_pt12.2-3.pdf

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I must've read it ten times before posting here... so the international calls and texts are included, that's good!

• Advertisement

Many are saying that Tethering is permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Why would anyone really care about this?

kippy wrote: »
    Why would anyone really care about this?

The eir SMTP server accepts logon from the eir network and rejects logon from other networks.

I am hoping the eir SMTP server will treat the GoMO network as an eir network. If it does I can use my Android and Windows mail clients to send mails; if it does not, I would have to use a non eircom.net email address or use eir webmail for sending.

Many are saying that Tethering is permitted.

That would also be good!! I'll see if I can get a definite answer from them - I've had it up to here with Vodafone and their practises.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

and if tethering is permitted (if so, what are the costs)? I couldn't find anything relevant on their website.

Tethering is included, no extra charges.

GoMo FAQ Thread

Brilliant, thanks for that (I must be still asleep, that's another page I read earlier without finding what I was looking for).

I do question why people remain to use this type of technology but I suppose everyone has their own use cases.
    I wouldn't let something like this be a deal breaker in any way shape or form for numerous reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I must've read it ten times before posting here... so the international calls and texts are included, that's good!

International calls and texts are NOT included.

EEA roaming calls and texts are included.

Ok, one more question.

Let's say I sign up, and after a few months I cancel. If after a while I wanted to sign up again, would the SIM be reactivated, or would I have to start everything from scratch? And at that point, assuming the 100,000 customers offer hasn't expired/hasn't been taken up in full, will I still be able to avail of the same rates?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    International calls and texts are NOT included.

EEA roaming calls and texts are included.

So, I'm still asleep. :/

Any idea as to how much they charge for those, so?

EDIT: NVM, they are included. "Minutes and SMS apply to usage within the Republic of Ireland and EEA zone countries."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭cal60

I do question why people remain to use this type of technology but I suppose everyone has their own use cases.
    I wouldn't let something like this be a deal breaker in any way shape or form for numerous reasons.

I agree that it wouldn't be a deal breaker but what is wrong about wanting to be be able to use your mail clients on android (or iOS) - email is still very important

To clarify...

EEA roaming and international are two separate call types for billing purposes.

Ireland to Ireland - Free (Home call)

Germany to Ireland/France/Spain/EEA - Free (EEA roaming}

Ireland to Germany/France/Spain/EEA - NOT Free {International)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I do question why people remain to use this type of technology .
    You question why people use email clients to send emails?

cal60 wrote: »
    I agree that it wouldn't be a deal breaker but what is wrong about wanting to be be able to use your mail clients on android (or iOS) - email is still very important

There are many workarounds available.

You question why people use email clients to send emails?

I question why:
    People still use Eir/Eircom etc email in the first instance and as a result think they need to be tied to an Eir network to access their email.
    I had an eircom address back in the early 00's and technicily I still have it. I've got gmail shortly after it became available. That picks up my eircom mail (not that anyone sends mail there anymore) and I don't feel the need to be tied to any one network amoung many other benefits.

As I said,if it's an issue for folks, fair enough, I just don't the get logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Germany to Ireland/France/Spain/EEA - Free (EEA roaming}

Is that right?

I can be in Germany and call and Irish number, free, I understand.
    But if I'm in Germany and I call a French number I'm going to be charged an International call rate, no?

Or am I reading that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

If you are in Germany, you are not using your Irish network. So, you are roaming. Calls made while you are roaming within a EU country to another EU country are treated the same as calls made within Ireland.

If you are in Ireland, you are not roaming. So, calls made to other EU countries from within Ireland, are deemed to be international calls and charged accordingly.

That's my understanding.

EEA roaming regulations effectively makes EEA roaming calls/texts within EEA, equivalent to calls/texts within your home country.

Those roaming minutes will be deducted from the plan allowance.

That only applies when roaming in EEA.

When at home, calling other EEA countries is an international call and not included unless your plan specifically includes it, but gomo don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

Have no data coverage on in Cork city at the moment, was working earlier on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I question why:
    People still use Eir/Eircom etc email in the first instance and as a result think they need to be tied to an Eir network to access their email.
    I had an eircom address back in the early 00's and technicily I still have it. I've got gmail shortly after it became available. That picks up my eircom mail (not that anyone sends mail there anymore) and I don't feel the need to be tied to any one network amoung many other benefits.

As I said,if it's an issue for folks, fair enough, I just don't the get logic.
    Maybe they don't want to hand over all their information to Google?

They don't really need to be tied to any network, once the mail provider doesn't enforce it.

Advertisement