Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post RWC

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Little over a month until the 6nations.
    So far imo!
    1. Healy
    2. Scannell
    3. Porter
    4. Henderson
    5. Ryan
    6. Ruddock
    7. VDF
    8. Stander
    9. Cooney
    10. RB
    11. Earl's
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Conway
    15. Larmour

16. Kelleher
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Furlong
    19. Dillane
    20. Doris
    21. Blade
    22. Burns
    23. Haley.

Healy
    Kelleher
    Furlong
    Henderson
    Ryan
    Stander
    Vdf
    Doris
    Cooney
    Sexton
    Earls
    Aki
    Ringrose
    Stockdale
    Larmour

Kilcoyne
    Scannel
    Porter
    Klyne
    PoM
    JGP
    Carbery
    Conway

Healy
    Kelleher
    Furlong
    Henderson
    Ryan
    Stander
    Vdf
    Doris
    Cooney
    Sexton
    Earls
    Aki
    Ringrose
    Stockdale
    Larmour

Kilcoyne
    Scannel
    Porter
    Klyne
    PoM
    JGP
    Carbery
    Conway

Yep! It's too tough! It's amazing that these fellas are back in the groove after the rwc! Some major competition for spots!

So! Apparently the 1st squad to be announced this week! Who's in? Who's out?
    Out! RK, Earl's and Murray.
    Possibly out! POM, Kleyn
    In! COONEY , Toner
    Possibly in! Reidy Deegan Doris, Moore.

The selection will be awesome to watch!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,997 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dubinusa wrote: »
    So! Apparently the 1st squad to be announced this week! Who's in? Who's out?
    Out! RK, Earl's and Murray.
    Possibly out! POM, Kleyn
    In! COONEY , Toner
    Possibly in! Reidy Deegan Doris, Moore.

The selection will be awesome to watch!

it will be a 40+ man squad...
    so not a chance POM, Earls or Murray will be out.

• Advertisement

Crazy if so! They've been poor. Anyway, I hope we get a good mix of new and experienced. A new game plan and a freshened approach.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Crazy if so! They've been poor. Anyway, I hope we get a good mix of new and experienced. A new game plan and a freshened approach.

It's just the squad announcement. It's not the starting 15, it's not even the 23. Imo, it'd be crazier if they weren't included, tbh. But lets see what comes of it.

aloooof wrote: »
    It's just the squad announcement. It's not the starting 15, it's not even the 23. Imo, it'd be crazier if they weren't included, tbh. But lets see what comes of it.

True it should be very interesting. A lot of lads have really put the hands up. Farrell has a tough job on his hands.

If it's a 40 man squad then we need to drop 5 names from the stocktake squad and potentially more if new names are to come in.

From the stocktake squad we've lost Roux and Carbery to injury.

I think Dave Heffernan, Rory Scannell, Mike Haley and Tom O'Toole are the most likely to also be dropped.

New names to come in? Carty might be back in the frame with Carbery's injury but he was poor enough at the weekend and I heard reliably enough that Sexton should be back in time.

Jack McGrath making any noise up north? Have been watching Ulster and he's doing a job without standing out from what I've seen albeit he was injured for a period before Christmas.

Jack O'Donoghue has been putting his hand up but realistically we'd need to drop someone from the existing backrow options to bring him in and there are two better 7s ahead of him.

Going to be an interesting squad but I think we'll be waiting until the first 23 for the big surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I can't see Will Connors being retained unless he features this weekend. He played 40 minutes against Connacht. Leinster have no more matches between this weekend and the 6N. I think it was worthwhile for him to be involved over the Christmas period as an introduction but I don't see him getting much more of a look in until the autumn. It's very hard to keep someone involved when they're sitting in the stands for their province.

I'd expect Jordi Murphy or even Reidy to come into the squad in his place. I'm a fan of JOD but not as an openside. I think he's a bit exposed in that role. There was a scrum inside Munster's 22 yesterday in the second half when Classens picked from the base and broke on the openside towards the posts. I think he was almost beyond the hindmost foot on the Munster side when JOD was still fully bound leaving his midfield and Murray to get across.

I'd gladly see him involved in the squad as a blindside.

• Advertisement

I agree with Connors being cut! He's not had the exposure at the European level. Carberry whilst out constantly with injury has not had any kind of run at all!
    I don't think he's going to be a mainstay at 10 either. He's been decimated injury wise and I don't think he's been very good when he's played. He's got a lot to do when he returns. Least of all he's got to show he can run and control the game. I think we may be surprised to see Burns as a regular this 6nations. I think he's going to get the 22 shirt. I know he's not the main place kicker and that could hurt him. But, it's a great time for him and RB to play a marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If it's a 40 man squad then we need to drop 5 names from the stocktake squad and potentially more if new names are to come in.

From the stocktake squad we've lost Roux and Carbery to injury.

I think Dave Heffernan, Rory Scannell, Mike Haley and Tom O'Toole are the most likely to also be dropped.

New names to come in? Carty might be back in the frame with Carbery's injury but he was poor enough at the weekend and I heard reliably enough that Sexton should be back in time.

Jack McGrath making any noise up north? Have been watching Ulster and he's doing a job without standing out from what I've seen albeit he was injured for a period before Christmas.

Jack O'Donoghue has been putting his hand up but realistically we'd need to drop someone from the existing backrow options to bring him in and there are two better 7s ahead of him.

Going to be an interesting squad but I think we'll be waiting until the first 23 for the big surprises.

Was Carty poor at the weekend? Have only seen the extended highlights but looked to be getting back into form other than the blockdown. His usual big threat with ball in hand: 52 metres made, 2 clean breaks, 5 defenders beaten and 2 offloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Bazzo wrote: »
    Was Carty poor at the weekend? Have only seen the extended highlights but looked to be getting back into form other than the blockdown. His usual big threat with ball in hand: 52 metres made, 2 clean breaks, 5 defenders beaten and 2 offloads.

He had an ill advised cross field kick too, it wasn’t far off dropping perfectly for Adeolokun but ended up giving Kolbe possession maybe fifteen metres outside Conn 22.

It was definitely his most promising performance of the season and much closer to lasts seasons form. I wouldn’t expect him to be in Ireland squad though and don’t think he does either based on post game comments in the 42 today.

Bazzo wrote: »

I thought he was poor enough. Lost a few collisions, went ok ball in hand but passing wasn't great.

The block down was pretty criminal.

Heffernan in! A huge opportunity for him. I think he's going to get a run.
    Baird and Balacoune training with the squad! Obviously, an eye for the future.

As expected no RK! No surprise there!
    O'Toole in is a great shout to all of the young lads.
    Disappointed for Moore, I think he's been the best th so far this season. His all around game is vastly improved.

On a side not, I think John Ryan is done as an international. Bealham also. Barring a glut of injuries.
    Ruddock possibly out also. Sean Cronin has his age working against him. I believe Farrell has moved on. Herring must be the frontrunner now.

Lots of talking points! I think the squad is selected with an eye to the future. Obviously, Deegan and Doris are deserving, but I can see Conan pass one of them up when he returns.

1st squad revealed. 2 new caps! Doris and Kelleher.
    I think that it's a good look to the future. Both of these lads could accumulate a lot of caps.
    Aki holding off Henshaw and big Stu.
    Larmour at fb. He's been great this year.
    I thought that this match would have been ideal to start RB or Burns? Sexton could have benched. It would be good to see RB get 20 or so minutes.
    This match is important and is our 1st with Farrell in charge, so he obviously wants to win. I hope we win and put in the kind of performance that I know we're capable of.
    The selection for Wales will be interesting. I rate Wales as being stronger than the Scots.
    Is JOD seen as a 6? I can't see him selected as a 7. I think VDF really needs to stay healthy. We only have him as an out an out open side!

2 weeks down! What do ye all think? Any negative selections , positive?
    Squad make up? Good or more of the same?
    Game plan? Good or poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

2 weeks down! What do ye all think? Any negative selections , positive?
    Squad make up? Good or more of the same?
    Game plan? Good or poor?
    Already been discussed in other threads not sure it needs be repeated here.
    Game plan has changed and too early to say if its good/bad. Same with a lot of your questions. Too early to say.

3 weeks in. And still the same ?'s.
    I reckon attrition will be kicking in sooner than later.
    To me, it looks like Healy is slowing down. He may have another year in him, but I think it's a matter of when!
    Toner, thoroughly deserved the recall! Great for Leinster, in that structure. Alas, offers little for Ireland. Doesn't make yards and looks like a passenger. I think his international career will be over this year.
    Murray. Just not good. Slow, ponderous and his boxkicking is not a strength anymore.
    Sexton was all over the kip. His worst performance. Probably the worst performance I've ever seen by an Irish 10. I would start playing Byrne/Carberry starting this summer.
    POM has played well! But he's underpowered and we need a stronger more dynamic player. I think he's going to be involved over the next couple of seasons. But, he will be phased out during that time.
    Players coming in:
    Doris
    Deegan
    Baloucoune
    Connors
    JOD
    Lowe
    These guys I think will feature in the autumn and summer tours.
    With Conan and Leavy. The halfbacks is a toss up. I would guess Cooney and Marmion would be the top 2
    10 would be Carberry, unless he's injured. If so, I would give Byrne a run.

Here we are just about to go into the 6nations, if its not postponed of course. So, where are we squadwise.
    I think the following lads are playing their last 6nations.
    Healy, not a force anymore.
    Sexton, very much in decline.
    Earls, still very good but age will be a factor.
    POM, if he heads to France.
    I think this alone is serious turnover. We may suffer short term, but in the long run I think we'll be fine.
    I also think the tournament will be postponed until the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

Here we are just about to go into the 6nations, if its not postponed of course. So, where are we squadwise.
    I think the following lads are playing their last 6nations.
    Healy, not a force anymore.
    Sexton, very much in decline.
    Earls, still very good but age will be a factor.
    POM, if he heads to France.
    I think this alone is serious turnover. We may suffer short term, but in the long run I think we'll be fine.
    I also think the tournament will be postponed until the summer.

10, and possably loosebead are the only real concerns

Advertisement