Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding phone line disconnection between tenants

Options
  • 11-10-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

Question for landlords: How do you avoid the phone line (and broadband) being disconnected between tenancies? If a tenant leaves and cancels their phone and broadband accounts this will result in phone line being disconnected (and therefore alarm system which uses phone line) until next tenant sets up new account.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Regards,
    John

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You get a GSM alarm instead; or decide to be liable for the risk of the line being in your name. Tenants aren't going to leave a line active that they're paying for

Unless the alarm is antique or awful it will have a GSM module available for it and there are external adapters also available

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Put the line and broadband in tour name and charge for it extra or as part of the rent. It will be an allowable expense anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

kceire wrote: »
    Put the line and broadband in tour name and charge for it extra or as part of the rent. It will be an allowable expense anyway.

Absolutely no way on Earth would I have phone or particularly broadband in my name without any control over what happens with it.

I think the only way is to separate the alarm via GSM as said earlier.

Then let the tenants sort out their own service.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Should add that if you put an external GSM adapter in you need to make sure it (and the cable going to it) are completely inaccessible lest you get a particularly devious tenant who realises what it is and wants to make phone calls on it. Prepay, no data, and set up international call barring and premium rate barring with the operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who has a landline anymore anyways????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

We have one as part of the "package" but I don't think anyone has made an outgoing call on it since about 2017.

With Eir there weren't any packages we could get that didn't include a landline, not sure if that's changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

More people that you can think of
    Have fiber internet with free landline (phoneline)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

We have one as part of the "package" but I don't think anyone has made an outgoing call on it since about 2017.

With Eir there weren't any packages we could get that didn't include a landline, not sure if that's changed since.

When were home we switch off the smartphone an use the landline
    Small amount of people knows the number , its so rest giving and quiet in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

FTTC uses the Landline to deliver broadband. Even if there is no voice service on the line.

Advertisement