Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems tuning Saorview in Laois [Split]

Options
  • 30-09-2019 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭

First, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong thread, but I'm lost on this topic :)

I recently got a Saorview aerial installed which in turn is connected to my LG TV and seems to pull the Virgin and RTE 2 channels from UHF 31. RTE 1 is further up at 50 something (I'm in Laois which I was told by the installer is a bit of a nightmare - they were over an hour trying to get a stable signal and had to use an amplifier in the end).

RTE 2 and those are pretty much rock solid.. RTE 1 drops out a fair bit (as it has again tonight), and is weak even when viewable.

Why are these not all on 31 in my case? There's a load of unused channels. Why the split?

My LG TV seems to retune the lot when RTE 1 goes. Very frustrating. I'm hoping disabling the auto retune option will sort it out but has anyone else seen this?

Is there much I can do or will I just have to live with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I recently got a Saorview aerial installed which in turn is connected to my LG TV and seems to pull the Virgin and RTE 2 channels from UHF 31. RTE 1 is further up at 50 something (I'm in Laois which I was told by the installer is a bit of a nightmare - they were over an hour trying to get a stable signal and had to use an amplifier in the end).

Check here for your recommended transmitter - http://coverage.2rn.ie/index700.php

UHF 31 is Kilduff, the other mux is on UHF 37. If he got one I don't understand why he couldn't get the other?

The old frequencies from Kilduff UHF 52 & 56 are still transmitting until next March.
    RTE 2 and those are pretty much rock solid.. RTE 1 drops out a fair bit (as it has again tonight), and is weak even when viewable.

Why are these not all on 31 in my case? There's a load of unused channels. Why the split?

The Saorview channels are split across 2 frequencies/multiplexes. In your case RTÉ 2 appears to be on the new mux 1 (UHF 31) and RTÉ 1 on the old mux 2 (UHF 56). The new aerial installed may be a Group A (UHF 21-37) and so may not be adequate to tune to the higher frequency at UHF 56, hence the weaker RTÉ 1. You should be receiving RTÉ 1 from UHF 37.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭hibble

Kaiser
    Use the link from the previous post and make sure the little orange "balloon" is directly above your house. When I type my address into the website the marker actually displays about half a mile away from where it should.

I'm in Laois, according to the Soarview map, my neighbour and the house across the road are Killduff (25km), I've always pulled in the signal from Mt. Lienster (70+km) and same map still shows that as my only option.
    It's split 4 ways, I live in a single story house and the aerial is up in the attic -100% level: 98% quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers guys,

The map above points me to Kilduff alright. A full rescan last night pulled from 31 and 37, with the latter showing about 60% and the former almost 100%

Is that sort of difference between the two to be expected,, or is it worth me getting a different installer to take a look?

Is that sort of difference between the two to be expected,, or is it worth me getting a different installer to take a look?
    Both frequencies should be similar. How's the signal quality?

If there is still breakup I'd get someone else to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

My LG TV seems to retune the lot when RTE 1 goes. Very frustrating. I'm hoping disabling the auto retune option will sort it out but has anyone else seen this?

Yes. RTE1 for me was on CH 55 and RTE2 on CH 48. When the new freq came online (CH 46) for RTE1, the LG TV kept prompting for a rescan. However I didn't know about the freq change at the time, so I just figured it was an annoying quirk with the TV and Saorview. Since programming it in to use the lower Ch 46 for RTE1 that message has gone away.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Both frequencies should be similar. How's the signal quality?

If there is still breakup I'd get someone else to look at it.

31: 92/100 (strength/quality)
    37: 58/7-25 (changing constantly)

31: 92/100 (strength/quality)
    37: 58/7-25 (changing constantly)
    31 is good but 37 is definitely a problem. Did the installer put in new cabling or are you using existing cabling?

31 is good but 37 is definitely a problem. Did the installer put in new cabling or are you using existing cabling?

Nope, they ran new cabling in the end and an amp by the TV

Amp by the TV or a power supply for an amp on the aerial mast?

An amp by the TV wouldn't be of any use as the amplification needs to be done close to the aerial to overcome any losses down the cable.

A picture would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Is the aerial even outside, or just in the attic?

• Advertisement

Amp by the TV or a power supply for an amp on the aerial mast?

An amp by the TV wouldn't be of any use as the amplification needs to be done close to the aerial to overcome any losses down the cable.

A picture would be helpful.

See attached.. connected to a power socket
    Is the aerial even outside, or just in the attic?

It's external

See attached.. connected to a power socket

An old type Triax saddle & clamp power supply for a masthead amp??? Is there a similar box on the aerial mast.

Is there any part or model no. visible under the cover?

There would be no logical reason to fit an amp beside the TV unless the installer is a cowboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I'd say it's a psu for a masthead amp on the aerial
    Decades ago ours was beside the tv in the days before distribution amplifiers and houses with more than one telly

See attached.. connected to a power socket ...

That's a PSU for a masthead amp.

Where exactly is the aerial fitted? What kind of height?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

An old type Triax saddle & clamp power supply for a masthead amp???

It certainly is. Those saddle and clamp PSU's must be a decade or more old! That model was long since replaced with ones that took Belling Lee coax plug connections. Most are all F-type connections now.

That's a PSU for a masthead amp.

Where exactly is the aerial fitted? What kind of height?

It's fitted just beside the satellite dish under the bottom edge of the roof

So, if I'm reading the preceding comments right then, it looks like I got a bit of a cowboy installation? (damn - they were even recommended :()

What do I need to get it done right then do ye reckon, and any recommendations in the Laois area (PM if needed)

In addition, why is the aerial placed under the dish?
    If it's hard enough to get a signal in the area,the fact they plonked it under the dish is proof they didn't bother trying
    An unhindered gap somewhere else at some other corner of the house ,preferably in the actual direction of a transmitter?

It's fitted just beside the satellite dish under the bottom edge of the roof

So, if I'm reading the preceding comments right then, it looks like I got a bit of a cowboy installation? (damn - they were even recommended

Without knowing the topography of your location it is always recommended to mount the aerial as high as possible (unless in a strong signal area), on the chimney or at least above roof apex by mounting on the gable-end. Looks like the aerial is too low and the installer is compensating for the low signal level by installing a masthead amp.

Was it the installer that decided its current position?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That PSU looks discoloured, does it get hot in use? I'd be worried about the risk of fire.

They shouldn't be supplying shoddy old kit to customers.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Without knowing the topography of your location it is always recommended to mount the aerial as high as possible (unless in a strong signal area), on the chimney or at least above roof apex by mounting on the gable-end. Looks like the aerial is too low and the installer is compensating for the low signal level by installing a masthead amp.

Was it the installer that decided its current position?

Yep they tried the front and rear of the house and settled on the second option. Picture attached

• Advertisement

Yep they tried the front and rear of the house and settled on the second option. Picture attached

I assume the house is at least a 2-storey?

Anyway, he must have had no intentions of climbing on a roof, & the big overhang would have meant large-standoff brackets if he wanted to fit a mast to the wall. And the little bracket he did use (what's holding it to the wall?) would limit his aerial options. (Most likely this Sky-dish-bracket-&-contract-aerial setup is all he's equipped to do.)

So he just stuck a (decidedly 2nd-hand looking compared to the aerial) masthead amplifier on & hoped for the best.

One of those cables connected to the amp looks like it got some rough treatment too.

Lazy
    Is the transmitter direction at the other side of the house? Probably half the elements are pointed to the wall rendering the aerial practically useless
    The dish and the areal could have been sited at different places
    Aerial on the roof

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Probably half the elements are pointed to the wall rendering the aerial practically useless ...

It's right on the corner: how are 'half the elements pointed to the wall'?

The problem here is this guy only does one kind of install, with no backup plan if it doesn't work.

So what do I need to do to fix the mess here? Any recommendations for someone in the Laois area who can sort it out for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd be going mad if someone did that to my house, ugly messy install especially all those cable ties on the gutter. Cowboys!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

It's right on the corner: how are 'half the elements pointed to the wall'?

The problem here is this guy only does one kind of install, with no backup plan if it doesn't work.

I was looking at the photo as it displayed which made it look vertically polarised
    Hence my comment
    That said some of that aerial is shielded by that wall
    All of it if the transmitters direction is at the other side of the house

... That said some of that aerial is shielded by that wall
    All of it if the transmitters direction is at the other side of the house

There's no 'shielding' in the direction the aerial is pointed. And why would you think the transmitter direction is the other side of the house, especially given what was posted about the installer trying front & back?

I mean it's not a great install, but it's hardly that bad ...

There's no 'shielding' in the direction the aerial is pointed. And why would you think the transmitter direction is the other side of the house, especially given what was posted about the installer trying front & back?

I mean it's not a great install, but it's hardly that bad ...

Why are you being combative with me,its unnecessary
    I'm of the assumption that the aerial is being put where the sky dish was put out of laziness and convenience (for the installer) and don't know if the transmitters view is behind the house,satisfied now?
    Trying to solve the op's problems would be better than an internet argument,I'd suggest putting the aerial on the roof

I'm of the assumption that the aerial is being put where the sky dish was put out of laziness and convenience (for the installer) and don't know if the transmitters view is behind the house ...

The information provided re. this installation would suggest the installer is merely incompetent &/or poorly equipped. (And prone to re-using salvaged parts.)

Nothing suggests that he didn't at least try within his limits, but he really just should have owned up to defeat.

• Advertisement

... One of those cables connected to the amp looks like it got some rough treatment too.

Just to return to this, all those cables in the aerial/amp area look like they could be damaged, whatever he was at.

If this guy isn't prepared to climb on roofs, or fit high masts, maybe he'd at least come back & look at this.

Advertisement