Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managing VOIP Accounts on Fritz!Box

• 06-10-2019 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭

I need some help with this, as I have failed to work out how to manage things.

Previously I used a Draytek router with built in VOIP capability.
    There I could assign dial out accounts per 'number' in the Telephone Book.
    It was simple to do for both numbers and VOIP accounts in the form

sip:name@sip.provider.xz

and assign each to be dialled by any one of the registered (VOIP) accounts.

In addition there was a Dial map which made it easy to order filters and apply them.

I can find neither of these function in the Fritz!Box, and am unsure if there are equivalent functions available. So any help forthcoming on that score would be great.

For instance I could force calls to go through a registered account dependant on the number dialled, like this

[HTML]076 - provider 1 - VOIP numbers
    00 - provider 2 - international calls
    0 - provider 3 - local and national numbers[/HTML]

At the moment it looks like I will have to retain my Draytek (which works behind the Fritz NAT for outgoing calls) to spread my calls across the registered accounts based on who is being called.
    So far it seems to me the Fritz cannot do this.

All suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭65535

Assign the telephone numbers:
    Telephony/Telephone Numbers/New Telephone Number

Assign the line to dial out on for different numbers/prefixes:
    Telephony/Call Handling/Dialling Rules

Above for Fritz 7490 - others will be similar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

65535 wrote: »
    Assign the telephone numbers:
    Telephony/Telephone Numbers/New Telephone Number

Assign the line to dial out on for different numbers/prefixes:
    Telephony/Call Handling/Dialling Rules

Above for Fritz 7490 - others will be similar

Thanks.

Am I to understand that each of the numbers in the telephone book would need to be repeated here Telephony-Call Handling-Dialling Rules to assign a dial out account to each?

I was expecting that selection to be an option in the telephone book when adding each phone number.

I have used this for specifying some ranges ..... but I cannot see where I can set those in a specific order.
    If I want to use two different numbers to dial Irish geo numbers beginning with 0 and international numbers beginning with 00, and maybe differentiate Irish mobile numbers such as those beginning with 08 ......... can I do this?
    I don't know what in order the filters are taken.

Also there is no provision for entering a callee in the form sip:name@sip.provider.ex to ensure those get called from a free SIP account.

For sip@ make up a quick dial number so as you can dial it from an ordinary phone
    Example:

Lenny 2233435945@sip2sip.info
    Assign **744
    Then when you dial **744 you are actually dialling the SIP number above.

In the call handling/dialling rules you dont need them in a specific order, just add the dialling rules in
    Examples:
    Telephone Number / Connect Via
    0871234567 -> Default Provider
    087123 -> SIP provider 1

Also you can set prefixes to 'pickup' a specific provider
    Telephony/Telephone Numbers/Telephone Numbers - Set prefix there *122 for example

Then dial *122 and the following digits then are sent out specifically over that provider

Also you can set prefixes to 'pickup' a specific provider
    Telephony/Telephone Numbers/Telephone Numbers - Set prefix there *122 for example

Then dial *122 and the following digits then are sent out specifically over that provider

OK, so that is what is required ....... a prefix must be dialled to select a specific number to dial from.

I had hoped that each number in the telephone book could be assigned to a specific registered number, as is the case with my 15 year old Draytek router, without the caller needing to know or remember prefixes for specific numbers. Not really user friendly IMO.

• Advertisement

For sip@ make up a quick dial number so as you can dial it from an ordinary phone
    Example:

Lenny 2233435945@sip2sip.info
    Assign **744
    Then when you dial **744 you are actually dialling the SIP number above.

In the call handling/dialling rules you dont need them in a specific order, just add the dialling rules in
    Examples:
    Telephone Number / Connect Via
    0871234567 -> Default Provider
    087123 -> SIP provider 1

I don't see how that covers the situation I outlined with differentiating between numbers beginning with 00 and those beginning with 0[1-9].
    Remember these dialling rules also have to apply to numbers dialled that are not in the telephone book.

No - a prefix is not required to dial a specific number.
    Each number in the telephone book can if requried be sent out on a specific number but you have to not only add that number to the telephone book but also to the prefixes.
    The caller does not need to remember prefixes, they just dial the number.
    If the number is set to go out on a particular carrier then it does that.

No - a prefix is not required to dial a specific number.
    Each number in the telephone book can if requried be sent out on a specific number but you have to not only add that number to the telephone book but also to the prefixes.
    The caller does not need to remember prefixes, they just dial the number.
    If the number is set to go out on a particular carrier then it does that.

That is what I have failed to find in the telephone book ...... where is the entry in the telephone book that determines the outgoing number to be used?

I think you are misunderstanding me !

Put an entry into the Telephony/Call Handling/Dialling rules
    An entry for example that sends your mobile calls out on carrier 1
    (I presume you have added more than 1 carrier for calls)
    Also put for example your international calls out on carrier 2

Now when the end users dial a mobile number it goes out on carrier 1
    and international calls go out on carrier 2.

If further on you wish to send a particular range of numbers out on carrier 2 for example
    then add them in to the Telephony/Call Handling/Dialling rules
    for example you want calls to 01234xxxx to go out on carrier 1 but all other 01 calls to go out on carrier 2
    then add in 01234 as carrier 1
    and add in 01 as carrier 2

You need to set them up and test
    as you go on it gets easier !

I think you are misunderstanding me !

Put an entry into the Telephony/Call Handling/Dialling rules
    An entry for example that sends your mobile calls out on carrier 1
    (I presume you have added more than 1 carrier for calls)
    Also put for example your international calls out on carrier 2

Now when the end users dial a mobile number it goes out on carrier 1
    and international calls go out on carrier 2.

OK, in the dialing rules I have set International for carrier 1

Now I want to set up dialing rules for Irish mobiles and another for Irish landlines.

So the mobile rule would be 08, but how would the landline be specified? Maybe leave that as default and create other rules for other types of calls such as those to sip:name@sip.provider.ext?
    Else I would need to set up a rule for each of 01, 02, 05, 06, 09 or whatever.

I can now see how that might work ..... I just need to be more specific in specifying the rule than I was used to when the rules were parsed in sequence in my old set up.

If further on you wish to send a particular range of numbers out on carrier 2 for example
    then add them in to the Telephony/Call Handling/Dialling rules
    for example you want calls to 01234xxxx to go out on carrier 1 but all other 01 calls to go out on carrier 2
    then add in 01234 as carrier 1
    and add in 01 as carrier 2

You need to set them up and test
    as you go on it gets easier !

This is the part that I have difficulty with ..... if the rules are not treated in a particular sequence, and I dial 01234 then the rule for carrier 2 is valid for that.
    Is the whole number parsed before dialing to find the most exact rule?

I have not found any good information about this so far.

Thanks for sticking with me here ...... things are getting more clear for me .... I think! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭This is it

0 to carrier 1
    01234 to carrier 2
    08 to carrier 3

If you dial 087xxxxxxx it won't go to carrier 1 because the first digit is a 0, it will check the full dialled number against the most specific rule

This is it wrote: »
    0 to carrier 1
    01234 to carrier 2
    08 to carrier 3

If you dial 087xxxxxxx it won't go to carrier 1 because the first digit is a 0, it will check the full dialled number against the most specific rule

Thanks for that clarification ...... that helps greatly. ;)

Is there some reading material I have not found that goes into this in some detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭This is it

Thanks for that clarification ...... that helps greatly. ;)

Is there some reading material I have not found that goes into this in some detail?

I'm sure there is but I wouldn't have anything to hand. I work with SIP at an ISP so the above is general and not specific to the Fritz

This is it wrote: »
    I'm sure there is but I wouldn't have anything to hand. I work with SIP at an ISP so the above is general and not specific to the Fritz

Thanks for the help. I will keep working my way through the help menu in the Fritz ...... some of the stuff is begining to make more sense now :)

I have yet to discover which 'number' registered in the Fritz is the "default" or if one can be st as default by the user.

I have it at a usable state now, so only tweaking remains I hope. :)

The Telephony/Call Handling/Dialling Rules is essentially an 'allow table'
    You specify there what you want to be able to dial and if/when you do dial that which carrier it goes out on.

My default is a VM 'Landline' which comes in from their modem via cable

The Telephony/Call Handling/Dialling Rules is essentially an 'allow table'
    You specify there what you want to be able to dial and if/when you do dial that which carrier it goes out on.

My default is a VM 'Landline' which comes in from their modem via cable

Ah, so if I understand the above correctly, the 'default' is whatever carrier the applicable dialing rule specifies?

Yet there is a 'default provider' option under the dropdown when creating dialling rules ....... and it is this option that I wondered about.

How many carriers / SIP trunks have you connected ?
    If you have one that is cheaper for mobiles then send your 08 calls out over that.
    I also have a sipgate uk sip trunk and send 0800 numbers out over that.

Other than that may I suggest that you play around with it, it does work quite well once you get the hang of it.
    I have a mesh one also working away.
    You can reject or divert calls depending on who rings you, handy for those 'microsoft' calls.

How many carriers / SIP trunks have you connected ?
    If you have one that is cheaper for mobiles then send your 08 calls out over that.
    I also have a sipgate uk sip trunk and send 0800 numbers out over that.

Other than that may I suggest that you play around with it, it does work quite well once you get the hang of it.
    I have a mesh one also working away.
    You can reject or divert calls depending on who rings you, handy for those 'microsoft' calls.

Yes I have all that going .... have multiple accounts registered ...... but I would like to know what the

'default provider'

is set to ........ which of the many providers I have registered?

Fritz1.png

As far as I know the default provider is the Landline if you have one setup.
    It does not mention it in the help (Question mark up top right hand side of each page)
    https://service.avm.de/help/en/FRITZ-Box-Fon-WLAN-7490-avme/018/hilfe_fon_neuewahlregel

As far as I know the default provider is the Landline if you have one setup.
    It does not mention it in the help (Question mark up top right hand side of each page)
    https://service.avm.de/help/en/FRITZ-Box-Fon-WLAN-7490-avme/018/hilfe_fon_neuewahlregel

Yes, been unable to locate a mention of it, which is why it bothers me :)

• Advertisement

If you go to Telephony/Telephone Numbers the one with *10# set is the default (at least on mine anyway)

If you go to Telephony/Telephone Numbers the one with *10# set is the default (at least on mine anyway)

All my registered accounts have numbers beginning in the *120# so no *10#

On the other hand under Line Settings
    Outgoing Telephone Number
    Telephony devices for which no outgoing telephone number was defined will use the following telephone number for outgoing calls.

might seem to be where the default is set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

@Johnboy1951, did you manage to get the sip details sorted on the Fritzbox?
    I should have Ftth installed shortly & have similar questions.

jgbyr wrote: »
    @Johnboy1951, did you manage to get the sip details sorted on the Fritzbox?
    I should have Ftth installed shortly & have similar questions.

Yes I got it set up to my satisfaction at the time based on the foregoing posts.
    I just ignored that 'default provider' thing and made sure calls were routed correctly.
    Heck 'default provider' might still be in play, but I remain uncertain what it actually means :D

My only on-going issue which crops up now and again, is that some phones do not ring when one might expect them to ...... possibly some incompatibility between old DECT phones and the Fritzbox settings. It is not something that bothers me TBH in the home environment as more than one phone can be heard ringing at all times.

For me my Internet connection is now via Virgin Media - I have a LAN Cable from their modem plugged in to my LAN 1 socket.

However, I also have a telephone cable plugged from their telephone socket on their modem to the Fritz Telephone socket.

In that way I have both Internet and Telephony setup.

Thanks. So it's possible on the Fritzbox to use a sip account like discount voip (xxxxxxxx@sip.discountvoip.co.uk)
    for outgoing calls only?

Thanks. So it's possible on the Fritzbox to use a sip account like discount voip (xxxxxxxx@sip.discountvoip.co.uk)
    for outgoing calls only?

Yes, that is what I am doing.
    My incoming calls are handled by Airwire to whom I ported my landline number.
    I do not make any outgoing calls via my 'landline number'.
    I can also manage my caller ID to show either my landline number or indeed a mobile number or none as I wish.

Rather useful to be easily able to change it, at times.

Yes, that is what I am doing.
    My incoming calls are handled by Airwire to whom I ported my landline number.
    I do not make any outgoing calls via my 'landline number'.
    I can also manage my caller ID to show either my landline number or indeed a mobile number or none as I wish.

Rather useful to be easily able to change it, at times.

Appreciate the response. Is it the Fritzbox 7530 you're using?
    Intend to go with Airwire myself but haven't decided whether to port to them or irishvoip.com.
    Can I ask, do you have to store all the numbers you want to dial, in the telephony section or is there a way to just dial out the number & the sip part is auto added.
    As in, dial xxxxxxx & it then dials xxxxxxx@sip.discountvoip.co.uk

Also what type of phone are you using with it? Thanks

Appreciate the response. Is it the Fritzbox 7530 you're using?
    Intend to go with Airwire myself but haven't decided whether to port to them or irishvoip.com.
    Can I ask, do you have to store all the numbers you want to dial, in the telephony section or is there a way to just dial out the number & the sip part is auto added.
    As in, dial xxxxxxx & it then dials xxxxxxx@sip.discountvoip.co.uk

Also what type of phone are you using with it? Thanks

I paid the extra and got the 7590.
    As I was transferring from Eir, and there was only one reference number for both phone and broadband, I decided to go the safest route and transfer both to Airwire, on the understanding I have only a monthly contract for the phone, so if I choose to change to a different provider for phone that should be easily accomplished.
    I had considered irishvoip.com but have not done anything about it - the difference in monthly cost is very small and Airwire service has been reliable. I believe I have received two simultaneous inward calls to the landline number so appear to have that function with Airwire.

My SIP calls are to 'name'@sip.provider.com rather than 'number'@ so I have never investigated using the number.
    I enter the SIP details in the telephone book and assign it a 'quick dial' number which I use to call out.
    There might well be a better way to do this but I never searched further.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement