Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been groped as a male?

Options
  • 06-10-2019 2:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I was on Reddit and see so many posts about men being groped but I have a very sneaky feeling this is confirmation bias. People who are in the minority of anything there can answer a question and give the impression that an issue is happening more than it is.

I just don't know any man who has been groped, even at a club/pub. The only ones are my female friends and that's both in clubs, pubs, in public, on buses, etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭893bet

#metoo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I was on Reddit and see so many posts about men being groped but I have a very sneaky feeling this is confirmation bias. People who are in the minority of anything there can answer a question and give the impression that an issue is happening more than it is.

As a bouncer in Derry for years,yeah happened a lot,,, welcome at times but vvv frustrating TBH ( married man at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

Yes. Both by women and men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Many many many times by women 40+ when I was a 16-19 year old working at a hotel, usually weddings.

Hoots of laughter as pulled onto the lap of women triple my age, comments about how I fill my pants lovely etc. Even had a woman offer me sex in the disabled toilet if I was up for it.

As a nervous awkward teenage boy it was very uncomfortable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes. and I've no issues with Me too movement either.

Probably count it on one hand though how many times. So not alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I'm a barman, and it happens regularly.. the touching has died down as I've gotten older and married.. but now it's the obvious flirting, even wearing wedding ring.. wife works in the industry so is aware of what happens and receives it herself. But if either of us wasn't in the job, I reckon it cud make things very awkward..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

That also goes for women don't you know?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

munster87 wrote: »
    Yes. Both by women and men.

Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yes. Both front and back. Didn't care about back. Front was rude.

I think it's different to being physically groped by someone stronger than you, and I think it's different to be groped by someone who might want to be penetrated by you than by someone who might want to penetrate you.

A woman being groped by a man is more like a man being groped by a stronger, dominant man, than it is like being groped by a woman. I don't need to experience it to know that I would find this far more troubling than being groped by a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I just don't know any man who has been groped, even at a club/pub. The only ones are my female friends and that's both in clubs, pubs, in public, on buses, etc..

You’re really only going to get the same here though, no different than reddit or any other form of social media.

Been groped plenty throughout my adult life, and not because I’m particularly attractive or anything, but simply because people who are into that shìt see me as an easy target.

Thankfully though, the number of people who think like that are by far outweighed by the number of people who find that kind of behaviour unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Outside a Garda station 3 years ago by a group of drunk intoxicated girls who not only tried to put their hands down my pants, but confronted my ex fiancée who was with me at the time. Saying she was ugly, she isn’t, and she also isn’t a clinically obese 5ft.2, nor has she crooked teeth like sticks of chewing/bugs bunny. They told her to go back to her own country as my ex is a Floridian.

I was angry and upset at the way they spoke to my ex. It wasn’t until the Garda in the station completely brushed it off, that I actually cared about what they tried to do to me. My ex was the one that reported it immediately and even recorded a video of it. I’d have been okay if they gave them a warning or moved them along. They didn’t even come outside to ask questions. Felt like a right third class citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Yes, multiple times by both men and women. Arse squeezed and and slapped, penis touched at a urinal.

Had a much older man position me in the toilets at Heuston Station when I was 15 saying he'd @*#! In the toilets over there.

Had a man ask me out and try follow me home twice, a few months apart.

Had a lady place my hand on her groin saying "Guess it's my turn" and groped my junk.

Had a guy I worked with, who fancied me, say that the girl I fancied wanted to kiss me on a night out; we kiss and before I know it, it's a threeway kiss with the guy also, as he told the girl wouldn't it be wild to have a threeway kiss.

Many more also, and none bothered me. Maybe perhaps the one when I was 15 as I was yet to take a growth spurt, so I was slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Yes. Hand down the pants with a solid grip on my lad by the bride to be on her hen night. When I made it clear that it was not appreciated I was told by the peanut gallery at her table that I was “no craic”.

Its a tricky one though- If she was attractive I probably wouldn’t have been as upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Yes.

Working in a bar for 5 years during college.
    Ugly women who should've been charged with sexual assault in specific instances, and men (hetero I think) thinking they were funny pinching my ass.
    Also a flat chested culche female nurse sporting a moustache in St Vincent Hospital when I was on the operating table in pre-op... Not sure if it was some game to try and get young men to have hard-ons before they wheeled them into the operating theatre, but didn't work on me when she didn't have an ounce of femininity. Going back 20-25 years there.

I pity anyone, especially women, working in pubs/hotels with alcohol being served.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Yes.

Also a flat chested culche female nurse sporting a moustache in St Vincent Hospital when I was on the operating table in pre-op... Not sure if it was some game to try and get young men to have hard-ons before they wheeled them into the operating theatre, but didn't work on me when she didn't have an ounce of femininity.

I pity anyone, especially women, working in pubs/hotels with alcohol being served.

Are you sure that was sexual? Not denying it but I'd imagine nurses could lose their jobs quickly if there were any allegations of sexual misconduct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Simms

CageWager wrote: »
    Its a tricky one though- If she was attractive I probably wouldn’t have been as upset.

That's gas. Good man.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Simms wrote:
    That's gas. Good man.....lol

Wut

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Are you sure that was sexual? Not denying it but I'd imagine nurses could lose their jobs quickly if there were any allegations of sexual misconduct.

No doubt she knew what she was doing.
    I was on the trolley alone with her on the pre-op ward, about to be wheeled into the operating room.
    We got talking and she said she was studying child psychology at night.
    I was reading psychology books and wasn't trying to be suggestive but did say I was reading about the Freudian anal, oral and phallic stages of child development.
    But she ended up beside me leaning, open palmed on my genitals.
    No need for her to be even leaning on any part of my body, never mind down there. An odd one, but about 25 years ago.
    God knows if it was some student nurse prank or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Once many years ago by an older woman in a bar was a bit shocked tbh. I just walked away. Another time by man in Dublin said I was straight and walked away back to the girl I was with at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

When working as a glass collector it was pretty constant. Normally a group of older women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

More times than I remember in the years I worked in hotels. I was once accosted by a bunch of hens while delivering room service. They were dressed as police and one blocked the door behind me. It was uncomfortable as hell. Also been fully exposed by women lifting my kilt on a few occasions.

Funnily enough. I have never heard from any of my female co-workers of any untoward behaviour towards them from men.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I thought it happened to all men at some point in their lives tbh. Maybe if you drink in your quiet local all them time you might escape but anyone that has frequented temple bar & bumped into a hens party probably didn't escape with their dignity intact

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yes. A good number of times when working in a bar. Collecting glasses etc. groping ass and front. Mainly women but some men especially later in the night when drunk.

Also the weirdest was I worked in an electrical shop and was placing a tv in a customers car.

Middle aged woman. She said something along the lines of “do I get you to install it in my bedroom, you’ll get a nice reward” really awkwardly - I just laughed and gtf out of there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Murof

Yep, went to gay bar, The George one night for a gay co-workers birthday afters and had my ass groped numerous times but the worst was a lad putting his hand down my front for a good feel. Pushed him to the ground and I was ejected? Little prick was no more than 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Probably the odd hand from time to time.
    However there used be a bouncer at a club in Cork and he used grab my crotch and squeeze. This happened a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,033 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still waiting................

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Frequently.

Most annoying was when a woman ripped my shirt open and stormed back to her group of friends, like it was a dare or she was showing off.

This was in a small local town pub and the group weren't from the town either which made it seem more bizarre.

Miraculously I kept getting served at the bar and made it into the club later with a ripped open shirt, but if this was in Cork City, it would have been the end of festivities for me.

At least I can move on from groping, it doesn't bother me, but ripping my clothes open in front of an entire pub (without recourse) is such a brazen and scummy thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yes mostly when I worked in bars, both as a barman and a bouncer.
    A few times on nights out too.

Not a grope but once a women tried to punch me. She just walked up to me in a pub and threw a punch towards my face. I dodged it and grabbed her hand and asked wtf was she doing.
    She obviously thought her answer was great craic and endearing -"I though you looked kinda tough so I d see if you could take a punch" Weird girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Groped by a well built lady boy whilst in Thailand. Was standing in the back of a pickup truck to add weight over the back wheels while we were trying to pull a rental car off a small bridge as the driver had tried to u-turn on a narrow road and driven the rear wheels off the bridge. Large crowd gathered as the road was completely blocked and a troupe of lady boys on their way to work stopped to lend a hand, in more ways than one!

Groped by the Chinese equivalent of the TSA in a small rural airport in China, female security doing a body search after pinging the metal detector put her hand far further down my pants than was required to check a belt buckle, assumed it was accidental until I looked and there was a lot of eye contact. Quite an attractive looking lady too, did debate how much I really wanted to get on the flight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Groped by a well built lady boy whilst in Thailand. Was standing in the back of a pickup truck to add weight over the back wheels while we were trying to pull a rental car off a small bridge as the driver had tried to u-turn on a narrow road and driven the rear wheels off the bridge. Large crowd gathered as the road was completely blocked and a troupe of lady boys on their way to work stopped to lend a hand, in more ways than one!

Groped by the Chinese equivalent of the TSA in a small rural airport in China, female security doing a body search after pinging the metal detector put her hand far further down my pants than was required to check a belt buckle, assumed it was accidental until I looked and there was a lot of eye contact. Quite an attractive looking lady too, did debate how much I really wanted to get on the flight!
    She had to make sure it wasn't a gun in your pocket.

Advertisement