Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

putter length

Options
  • 28-09-2019 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭

thinking of a new putter
    how do you guys pick a putter length, most of the ones i seem to pick up i find quite short
    maybe i need to go for one of these and change my address so that im leaning over a bit more?
    jack nicklaus used to bend over quite a bit, i stand much straighter... maybe thats my problem

thoughts and opinions please, how do you putt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Seve OB wrote: »
    thinking of a new putter
    how do you guys pick a putter length, most of the ones i seem to pick up i find quite short
    maybe i need to go for one of these and change my address so that im leaning over a bit more?
    jack nicklaus used to bend over quite a bit, i stand much straighter... maybe thats my problem

33 inches. For your height perfect. Allows you to get right over the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yea that seems to be standard, i feel its quite short,

i need to get some serious lessons on the putting i think, i to streaky

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

My pro is very clear that you should stand tall with arms extended and that will define the length of putter that best suits you for your height and arm length. I am 6' 2" and use a 35" parallel superstroke grip. This makes it easier for me to move my hands up/down the grip... I prefer down for shorter puts and sometimes up for long puts. Get a few fittings and see what is recommended.

I've been using 34 for years, i could use a 35 but i don't think i could use a 33 or less. Id feel too bent over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

thinking of a new putter

If you're happy with you're putting, go with what feels right to you. Don't change your putting style to suit a putter unless you have a reason to. I'm 5'11", stand reasonably upright over the ball and use a 34". Putting is a strong part of my game. I've seen guys taller than me putt well with shorter putters that mine. Go with what feels right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Ping do adjustable length putters. If you are not sure what you prefer then that could be a good road to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Seve, instead of changing putter length why not look at a different style head.
    Gavin Lunny in nass golf club has a great reputation for fitting putters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You want something that you are comfortable with all the time. Especially when you have the vertigo of a 32 inch right to lefter, downhill in the middle of July.

Try loads of different putters and pick one you are happy with. Not on what it looks like, but on what it feels like. It is the most important club in the bag, don't make a purchase lightly.

Don't be focusing on the length or shape of your putter, be focusing on how you feel with that putter in your hands. It is going to be directly responsible for your level of enjoyment in the game going forward, you don't want to be bitching about its' height or colour in 12 months time.

My putter is 20 years old and I wouldn't change it for the world. We have a connection.

Seve, instead of changing putter length why not look at a different style head.
    Gavin Lunny in nass golf club has a great reputation for fitting putters

actually I am seriously considering a change alright

a putter fitting is probably on the cards, maybe in conjunction with some lessons.

I've gone very streaky, loosing up to about 6 shots per round regularly on the greens which is killing me as the rest of the game is reasonably solid

maybe.... just maybe, Fore Golf and the Peltz School @ Kileen castle...…. anyone been there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Ping do adjustable length putters. If you are not sure what you prefer then that could be a good road to go down.

you're a great one to be talking about putters!!!!:P:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

maybe.... just maybe, Fore Golf and the Peltz School @ Kileen castle...…. anyone been there?

Yes I’ve done it, was a could of years ago and I found it very good, it’s putting it all into practice is the harder bit but you’ll come away with really solid basics and you’ll know how to practice perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Seve most putters come in 3 sizes off the shelf, 33”, 34” & 35”

Totally depends on your posture when putting and how much you practice - I used to use a 33 but have used 34 for a long time and it just feels right. Too short can start giving you a sore back, especially if you spend an hour on the practice putting green now and again. If you have and upright stance maybe 35 is right for you.

As with most things putting most of this is down to feel and results although avoiding a sore back was a consideration for me as well - have found a putter that works now and don’t think I’ll ecer change now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

To be honest I’d suggest a putting lesson before a fitting. I had some lessons as a present from Neil Manchip and asked him to have a look - gave me a lot of confidence that he thought my technique looked fine.

You may just have gotten into a bad habit or two which a pro will be able to highlight

So I bought a new putter the other day, Scotty Newport 2, 35inch :rolleyes:

Lost 2 balls on one hole today so only finished out on 17 holes. One disaster, a 4putt :mad: but to be fair it was mental long uphill through 2 tiers but was 2 very weak efforts.

As for the rest, 7 single putts, some of them quite tasty ones and 9 2putts. None of the 2putts were poor but maybe 2 of them were makable, left one in the jaws.

So on reflection the lesson I did have earlier this year was using a blade putter like the one I just bought. The putting technique i learned, which I have actually been practicing a good bit this week was probably not suited to my 2 ball putter.

It feels quite different and when I was faced with a really long putt today I struggled to get a feel for the pace, same for some of the others but I kinda got away with the rest.

Overall very happy, but lots more practice needed and deffo another lesson or 2.

Just in. Class winner today with 36 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

Thinking of trying an armlock putter usually 40 or 42 inches. I have got more twitchy and Yippy in last couple of years and have experimented this technique with old putter with good success particularly for shorter putts. This technique eliminates some moving parts in the stroke - left hand and wrist. This style seems to be much more popular in the states than in Europe with a good few US Pros now using it, notably Kuch, De Chambeau, Cink.

Advertisement