Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Treating rising damp

• 28-09-2019 9:31am

Hi

Sister is buying a house with rising damp. Going to get a builder friend to price fixing it. Is there any particular guide or treatment that is the most effective

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Without knowing the cause/construction/ventilation/age of house/ etc impossible to advise.

Many folk are of the view that rising damp is a myth designed to scam innocent folk out of their hard earned cash through a combination of scaremongering and fear, using what many regard as snake oil or worse.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    Hi

Sister is buying a house with rising damp. Going to get a builder friend to price fixing it. Is there any particular guide or treatment that is the most effective

Have you any idea extent of rising damp? Age of house?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dermotx

I presume this is a classic case of rising damp. I was thinking of drilling holes along the bottom of the affected areas and filling with the sticks that melt into the brick and stop the capilliary action of the rising damp. Anybody any experience of this sort of treatment.

Regards

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Rising dampness is very real.

First of all get a professional to diagnose the cause of the rising damp.

It will be necessary for the professional to have various Moisture Meters and a hygrometer.

If the Rising Dampness is in the floor then it could be cause by a leaking pipe or lack of DPM etc

If the Rising Dampness is in the walls it may be caused by a lack of DPC etc.

Once the cause of the Rising Dampness is ascertained, it is very simply to prescribe remedial action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

That house is new enough to appear to have a damp proof course. Is it a concrete block house? Is there damp inside, on the walls? A lot of people will recommend having no concrete going against outer walls. Gravel going to the end of the walls is a lot better. When I look at that picture, I dont think it is rising damp, maybe issues with the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dermotx

Thanks for that Yellow-Fern. It was a house my daughter was thinking of buying but has decided against it.

Advertisement