Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre in rural area. How good is it?

Options
  • 25-09-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all, it's been a long time since I've been on Boards.

Long story short, I'll be getting Eir Fibre at the end of October. We've been promised at least 100Mb (they say 200 to 300 which honestly blows my mind).

I'm also a little skeptical, since we've been on <5Mb for the past 10 years and such an increase is kind of surreal. We're 1km from the cabinet exchange.

So I wanted to ask you lovely folk who have the Fibre route, how good is it actually? (much down time, actual download speeds, stability, quality).

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What did you order?

Theres "Up to 100" which might be a bit naff in your situation and then theres 150,300,1000Mb packages which are FTTH and ignore distance. Same speed next door and 5km away.

If its the latter itll change your life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hakametal wrote: »
    Hi all, it's been a long time since I've been on Boards.

Long story short, I'll be getting Eir Fibre at the end of October. We've been promised at least 100Mb (they say 200 to 300 which honestly blows my mind).

I'm also a little skeptical, since we've been on <5Mb for the past 10 years and such an increase is kind of surreal. We're 1km from the cabinet exchange.

So I wanted to ask you lovely folk who have the Fibre route, how good is it actually? (much down time, actual download speeds, stability, quality).

Cheers.

Eir Fibre is really good, just like any other FTTH product. I'm on the 300 plan and speedtests always the same, no matter what time of the day or day of week. Speedtests are usually 287 down and 48 up. Ping times are extremely low, I usually get 2 to 3ms pings. There is no data cap/fair usage policy to worry about (although that could change at a later stage).

The only downside to the service is perhaps the modem that Eir provide. It's grand for wired internet, but the wifi on it isn't as good as it could be. But you won't know yourself when you get it installed, the quality of the network is fantastic.

Speedtest just now:8620178895.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Hakametal wrote: »

Those numbers are a little odd, if it’s fibre to cabinet then 100 is the max (if you’re right beside it, at 1km it will be way less).

If it’s fibre to the home then they can pretty much guarantee a connection at 150, 300 or 1000 (subject to contention but doesn’t seem to be a common issue on FTTH).

Advertisement