Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - transport/parking etc

Options
  • 21-09-2019 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone who has done the Dublin marathon before can help me. My husband is doing the marathon and as we are getting close we are trying to plan out the day as much as possible.
    We were wondering what is the best way to get to the start line on the morning? Due to road closures, public transport diversions etc.
    How close could I drop him to the start line if I was to drive him in? We will be coming From Red Cow direction.
    the website has a transport/parking section but getting an error saying ‘page not found’ so no info included.
    Are there any shuttle buses from key points across the city?
    Also, are there any shuttle buses for supporters? I would love to be at around the half way mark to support and give a boost but then would like to be at the finish line. How bad are the road closures, would it be possible to get taxis around the city on the day?
    Thanks in advance and apologies for all the questions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭event

Get the luas from red cow in to town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

The city centre is busier than a typical Sunday morning, but it is still relatively quiet. There are at least 10 times as many people who show up for work, school and college on a week day. The public transport options aren't as good but other than a few road closures there's no problem getting into the city centre on marathon morning.

The exact traffic management plan will be published closer to the time but it will basically be the same as last year: https://www.theaa.ie/blog/dublin-marathon-traffic/

I think your best plan is to drive to the city centre and park centrally. Plan to get into the city early though, no need to add to the marathon stress by showing up at 8:00 or so. The main routes into the city are kept open, other than the quays which shut for a short time and the marathon route itself. It also means your other half doesn't has less to do to get back to the car after the marathon :)

I think the easiest way to support would be to rent a Dublin Bike and cycle to a few points on the course. Otherwise use the Luas and maybe a taxi. It can be difficult to see anybody in the first few miles as it's very busy. My wife and kids supported me one year by hopping on the Green Luas to Milltown, waving to me near the 20 mile mark and then getting back on to the Luas to get to the finish area. The Red line is effectively closed because the marathon route passes through it in the first few miles, but you could get a taxi to the Rialto/Kilmainham area which is around the half way mark and then get the Luas back into town. If your husband is Mick Clohisey you probably wouldn't make it back into town and then out to Milltown on the Luas, but it's probably do-able for supporting most runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

Singer wrote: »
    The city centre is busier than a typical Sunday morning, but it is still relatively quiet. There are at least 10 times as many people who show up for work, school and college on a week day. The public transport options aren't as good but other than a few road closures there's no problem getting into the city centre on marathon morning.

The exact traffic management plan will be published closer to the time but it will basically be the same as last year: https://www.theaa.ie/blog/dublin-marathon-traffic/

I think your best plan is to drive to the city centre and park centrally. Plan to get into the city early though, no need to add to the marathon stress by showing up at 8:00 or so. The main routes into the city are kept open, other than the quays which shut for a short time and the marathon route itself. It also means your other half doesn't has less to do to get back to the car after the marathon :)

I think the easiest way to support would be to rent a Dublin Bike and cycle to a few points on the course. Otherwise use the Luas and maybe a taxi. It can be difficult to see anybody in the first few miles as it's very busy. My wife and kids supported me one year by hopping on the Green Luas to Milltown, waving to me near the 20 mile mark and then getting back on to the Luas to get to the finish area. The Red line is effectively closed because the marathon route passes through it in the first few miles, but you could get a taxi to the Rialto/Kilmainham area which is around the half way mark and then get the Luas back into town. If your husband is Mick Clohisey you probably wouldn't make it back into town and then out to Milltown on the Luas, but it's probably do-able for supporting most runners.

Thank you so much - great to hear it is doable to drive into town! And great idea re. Luas to Milltown, I will definitely do that I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sarah1916 wrote: »
    Thank you so much - great to hear it is doable to drive into town! And great idea re. Luas to Milltown, I will definitely do that I think!

Milltown is a great location for support. Just before the last big test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I drove in last year and this was great for getting home after. It worked well as wife and child came in to support and they wouldn't have got near it in car so they got train in later and then the car was there to get home. Have a think were you may go post race and try park near there (we had planned to go food in particular place but I parked a bit away in the morning from here so the walk was tough for me).

I went in about 7am and it was quite all over the place until you got quite close to start.

I will probably drive in again this year and just choose a parking location a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Milltown is a great location for support. Just before the last big test.

Great buzz there and around Clonskeagh too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

chris85 wrote: »
    I drove in last year and this was great for getting home after. It worked well as wife and child came in to support and they wouldn't have got near it in car so they got train in later and then the car was there to get home. Have a think were you may go post race and try park near there (we had planned to go food in particular place but I parked a bit away in the morning from here so the walk was tough for me).

I went in about 7am and it was quite all over the place until you got quite close to start.

I will probably drive in again this year and just choose a parking location a bit better.

Where is good to park that morning that’s close enough to the start line? We drove last year and ended up parking off Baggot Street thinking it was close enough to the start (which it is if all roads and paths were open and you could walk straight to the start line). But with the special coloured entry ways and having to get to the main entry chute we ended up walking for ages before. Staying near Green Luas line so wondering if we’d be as quick to get the Luas in and walk from stephens green to the start?
    The path closures and one way walking systems are nearly more confusing than the road closures! Same at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

sillysocks wrote: »
    Where is good to park that morning that’s close enough to the start line? We drove last year and ended up parking off Baggot Street thinking it was close enough to the start (which it is if all roads and paths were open and you could walk straight to the start line). But with the special coloured entry ways and having to get to the main entry chute we ended up walking for ages before. Staying near Green Luas line so wondering if we’d be as quick to get the Luas in and walk from stephens green to the start?
    The path closures and one way walking systems are nearly more confusing than the road closures! Same at the finish line.

The walk from St. Stephen's green is fine. There will be lots of people making their way towards the start so don't stress about that. It's very clear when you get closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Husband is running his first DCM this year. Looking forward to seeing the marathon for the first time myself. Trying to suss out the best place to park and watch from.
    We were planning on parking at Heuston Station, it's a handy spot for getting in and out of the city for us. I don't have to drop him in to the start btw. But trying to figure out where would be the best places to cheer from. Thinking the Phoenix Park at the bottom of Chesterfield Av. And would love to see him crossing the finish line. But would it be possible to see him somewhere else along the route or what would you guys recommend? He'll be doing 5 hour+ pace.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This will be my 6th Dublin and my wife has done the following every year and it works out great. She drives me into as close to the start area as she can get, usually very close as she is not parking. She then flys home to collect the kids. They then head out to Castleknock to see me at about the 11km mark. Its a great area for viewing as one of the radio stations do be there.

They then jump back in the car and head into the city via the NCR all the way to the convention center and park there. They then walk to the finish area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Husband is running his first DCM this year. Looking forward to seeing the marathon for the first time myself. Trying to suss out the best place to park and watch from.
    We were planning on parking at Heuston Station, it's a handy spot for getting in and out of the city for us. I don't have to drop him in to the start btw. But trying to figure out where would be the best places to cheer from. Thinking the Phoenix Park at the bottom of Chesterfield Av. And would love to see him crossing the finish line. But would it be possible to see him somewhere else along the route or what would you guys recommend? He'll be doing 5 hour+ pace.

From bottom of Chesterfield (mile 4) you would
    have plenty of time to walk over to Kilmainham Gaol / Royal Hospital area (mile 11.5) before heading for a leisurely brunch somewhere towards the end of the route. :)

Another question - will the luas be operating during the marathon? Specifically the red line? Were planning on getting the luas from around the Kilmainham area into the city centre but I think the course crosses the track in 2 places.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Another question - will the luas be operating during the marathon? Specifically the red line? Were planning on getting the luas from around the Kilmainham area into the city centre but I think the course crosses the track in 2 places.

It only crosses the Red Luas line once, on Manor St. It goes *over* the Red Luas line at Rialto :)

Last year the following disruption to the Red line occurred:
    The Luas Red Line service will be suspended between Heuston and the Connolly/ The Point from 9am to 10.20am. Services will run between Saggart/ Tallaght and Heuston only between those times.

So likely no problem getting the Luas from Kilmainham back into town.

Singer wrote: »
    So likely no problem getting the Luas from Kilmainham back into town.
    That's perfect, thanks! I'm really looking forward to spectating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Any shuttle buses? Or anything similar closer to town?

I’m probably going to be driving someone in as public transport options seem to be non-existent for them.

I.e. Maynooth train line is not operational that morning, buses don’t appear to start till 9am on a Sunday

looks like the broombridge luas is running as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

donaghs wrote: »
    Any shuttle buses? Or anything similar closer to town?

I’m probably going to be driving someone in as public transport options seem to be non-existent for them.

I.e. Maynooth train line is not operational that morning, buses don’t appear to start till 9am on a Sunday

Irish Rail will apparently have earlier service from Maynooth.

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/1186168212624465920?s=19

CCR wrote: »
    Irish Rail will apparently have earlier service from Maynooth.

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/1186168212624465920?s=19

Spoke to customer number of Irish Rail, earliest train supposed to get there at 8.52am. No good, if thats true.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

donaghs wrote: »
    Spoke to customer number of Irish Rail, earliest train supposed to get there at 8.52am. No good, if thats true.

Train from Maynooth at 7:05 showing on website now

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Beware that Irish Rail website also showing bus transfers between Athy and Heuston on Friday and Saturday: not great for picking up the number.

Talking of numbers, having to pick up number in person is a real pain, cost + time wise it is crazy for non-Dubliners. I'd gladly pay to have my number posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Will the Luas Red Line be running on Sunday? How does it manage at around Blackhall Place where the Luas must be crossing the marathon route

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Will the Luas Red Line be running on Sunday? How does it manage at around Blackhall Place where the Luas must be crossing the marathon route

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/traffic-information/
    Normal Sunday service with extra trams in between. Red Line trams will be held at Blackhall Place and go between waves. If this is not possible, trams will turn back out of the city at Heuston. Green Line trams will go between waves at Cuffe St.

I think this is a change from last year where no attempt was made to get the Luas to go between waves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'm planning on watching the race pass through the Park, and from there make my way to UCD by bike. I was hoping to use Dublin Bikes for this. Am I likely to be able to get a bike at the station on Parkgate Street? Or would hundreds of others be thinking the same, and all the bikes gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kissyfer

Slightly different but any tips of where to park on Saturday when heading to RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Kissyfer wrote: »
    Slightly different but any tips of where to park on Saturday when heading to RDS?

There is some parking in Rds , it was full by Saturday evening last year but we got parking in st Mary’s church beside it if you look on google maps (did have to pay for it, think 4 or 6 eur maybe).

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Kissyfer wrote: »

I got parking at Herbert Park on the Saturday morning last year. Handy enough for RDS.

zico10 wrote: »
    I'm planning on watching the race pass through the Park, and from there make my way to UCD by bike. I was hoping to use Dublin Bikes for this. Am I likely to be able to get a bike at the station on Parkgate Street? Or would hundreds of others be thinking the same, and all the bikes gone?
    We had planned to use Dublin bikes to scoot around the city to a few viewing points. But we went up to Dublin at the end of the summer on a random weekday and there were no Dublin bikes available at Heuston or Parkgate. You may be lucky and nab a bike but perhaps have a B plan if there are no bikes.
    Edit: I think you need to register an account online first to use the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Where's the best place for my wife to park if she's coming in to the finish line so that I don't have to walk too far for my lift home?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Leading on from frash's enquiry, has anyone any advice about supporters getting to the finish line? My mam couldn't get next or near the finish line of the Women's mini marathon this year, and is worried that she'll keep getting turned away on all approaches for this too :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Parking wise, Stephens Green shopping centre and Setanta car park off Dawson St are recommended on the marathon site. Don't think you'll get much closer to the start finish.

Finish area will always be very busy. Might need to go a bit of a roundabout way to get near. Possibly walking down to the canal at leeson St and then walking beside the canal to meet the course about 600 meters before the finish.

Advertisement