Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well looks like the price increase is coming this week
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/netflix-to-raise-prices-for-subscribers-in-ireland-1.4428907

Basic staying the same, Standard increase by €1 and Premium increase by €2

The article quotes the woman who is in charge of shows for Netflix Australia and she talks about making it for an Australian audience, which I think is good, and going for the same gritty and hard hitting tone the original series had but recognising that what was relevant for teens back then won't be relevant now. It all sounds good anyway. Hope they keep the theme tune :D

I wonder if any of the original cast will show up as teachers or parents. Drazik is in Hollywood now, and Leah's still on Home and Away but other than that I reckon they're all free.

Conn will definitely be back. Rivers would be much too respectable now probably. Southgate surely has a role to play!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Conn will definitely be back. Rivers would be much too respectable now probably. Southgate surely has a role to play!!

See you're on the original series, I'm more of a new generation. Some of the new teens will have to be the kids of some of the old ones, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watching Blood of Zeus and episode 5 just ripped off/paid homage to The Empire Strikes Back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

André & his olive tree
    As he prepares to close his restaurant, Michelin-starred Chef André Chiang embarks on a personal and emotional journey of reflection.

Mr. Iglesias season 3
    Hilarious high school teacher Gabriel Iglesias tries to make a difference in the lives of some smart but underperforming students at his alma mater.

Emicida: AmarElo - It's All For Yesterday
    Between scenes from his concert in São Paulo's Theatro Municipal, rapper and activist Emicida celebrates the rich legacy of Black Brazilian culture.

Spirit Riding Free: Ride Along Adventure
    Join Lucky and her friends on an interactive mission to save Maricela's beloved mare from greedy horse thieves who've taken her captive with a wild herd.

Super Monsters: Santa's Super Monster Helpers
    When Santa needs serious help prepping all of his presents, the Super Monsters lend a hand -- and some monster magic -- to get every gift out on time!

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

CastorTroy wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/netflix-to-raise-prices-for-subscribers-in-ireland-1.4428907

Everything is going up except my wages...:(

The movie selection on Netflix is still very poor, they could at least try and sort that out if they are increasing prices again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

peteeeed wrote: »
    Room 2806: The Accusation
    This docuseries follows the 2011 sexual assault case involving French politician Dominique Strauss-Kahn at the height of his career.

Gave this a watch last night. I had forgotten about the scandal. Very interesting .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

I started Warrior Nun yesterday and really enjoyed the pilot. Going to watch the second episode tonight before or after Raised by Wolves which starts tonight on Sky Atlantic @9pm. Watched Mortal Engines on Sunday and it was brilliant. Missed it in the cinema two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Watched the Holiday Movies That Made Us.
    They're interesting and give the lesser known ones a place to speak, but have to wonder if they try to get some of the main names.
    Also I find the way the narrator keeps saying parts of sentences intercut with the person talking annoying.
    The more of these The <blank> That Made Us shows I watch the more annoyed I get with their shtick. The subject matter always appeals (Toys/Classic Movies) but this narrative device is starting to really grate.

Think I'll have to pass on the Nightmare Before Christmas one which is a real shame.

Also, I was a little annoyed with the Elf one where they talk about how Forced Perspective hadn't been used in 60 years yet the very studio making Elf had just used it and actually pushed the technique to new levels in The Fellowship of the Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

khalessi wrote: »
    watched The 2nd Ryan Phillipe should be embarrassed

Gave it a look last night, sort of stuff that filled the direct to video shelves in the 90s, Van Dien actually looks like he's trying to put in some effort, everyone else is worse than bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭al87987

DenMan wrote: »
    I started Warrior Nun yesterday and really enjoyed the pilot. Going to watch the second episode tonight before or after Raised by Wolves which starts tonight on Sky Atlantic @9pm. Watched Mortal Engines on Sunday and it was brilliant. Missed it in the cinema two years ago.

Gave up on RBW after 5 or 6 episodes. Not a bad premise but found it difficult to get into or care about any of the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

DenMan wrote: »

The first few episodes of Warrior Nun aren't the greatest but it really picks up in pace afterwards
    al87987 wrote: »
    Gave up on RBW after 5 or 6 episodes. Not a bad premise but found it difficult to get into or care about any of the characters.

Feel the same but only lasted the first 3 episodes which I watched weeks ago

The Surgeon’s Cut: Season 1
    They’re philosophers, storytellers and pioneers in their fields. Four surgeons reflect on their lives and professions in this inspiring docuseries.

Rose Island
    An idealistic engineer builds his own island off the coast of Italy and declares it a nation, drawing the attention of the world — and the government.

Wild Rose
    Fresh out of prison, a scrappy working-class Glasgow mom pursues her dream of becoming a Nashville country singer, while learning tough life lessons.

Pick of the Litter
    Five Labrador puppies embark on a 20-month training to pass the milestones on their journey to becoming guide dogs for people with visual impairment

Ashley Garcia: Genius in Love
    15-year-old scientist Ashley Garcia explores the great unknown of modern teendom after moving across the country to pursue a career in robotics.

The Big Show Show christmas episode
    ormer WWE wrestler the Big Show is out of the ring and ready for an even tougher challenge: raising three daughters with his wife in Florida.

How to Get Away With Murder season 6
    Brilliant criminal defense attorney and law professor Annalise Keating, plus five of her students, become involved in a twisted murder case.

Masameer Classics season 4
    Through dark comedy and eccentric characters, this web series offers a humorous view of the changes and cultural shifts in Saudi Arabia from 2011-2019.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Straw that broke camel's back for me. I was already considering it as the selection - particularly movies - is getting worse and worse. But a €2 increase is just too much, so I've cancelled this morning. I have everything available by other means anyway - just have to teach my fiancé how to use the Firestick add-ons I have!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,150 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wild Rose is a good watch, decent performance from our own Jessie Buckley.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mickeroo wrote: »

Fun fact - the song she sings at the end, Glasgow, was written by actress Mary Steenburgen (wife of Ted Danson) who went into hospital for surgery on her arm and woke up hearing music in her head, like literally everything was music. Eventually to try and deal with this she asked a musical friend to help her make her thoughts into songs and next thing you know she's signed to a label in Nashville as a song writer.

Fun fact - the song she sings at the end, Glasgow, was written by actress Mary Steenburgen (wife of Ted Danson) who went into hospital for surgery on her arm and woke up hearing music in her head, like literally everything was music. Eventually to try and deal with this she asked a musical friend to help her make her thoughts into songs and next thing you know she's signed to a label in Nashville as a song writer.

nice but i'm calling that a spoiler :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Was flirting with the idea of going up to the premium, not at that higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tim76 wrote: »
    Everything is going up except my wages...:(

The movie selection on Netflix is still very poor, they could at least try and sort that out if they are increasing prices again.

I really don't agree with this at all. There's tons of films there.

They don't all have to be mainstream blockbusters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Just finished 'Fauda' . ...... just brilliant!! - binged on 4-5 episodes a night!!!

Any recommendations on the same line??? (Saw SPY before that.... another excellent series!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,316 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

:)

Nicolas Cage is set to provide an education in expletives as host of the forthcoming Netflix series History of Swear Words

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Oh yes.
    Loved Topboy, innit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I don't know how How to get Away with Murder is popular enough to warrant six seasons, it's absolute donkey balls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Cobra Kai season 3 trailer looks strong. Hopefully more of season 1 and less of season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I don't know how How to get Away with Murder is popular enough to warrant six seasons, it's absolute donkey balls

they lost the plot after season 1, i had no idea the show was still going

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

How many murders have they gotten away with at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it and the girl can sing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wow! 10 Cloverfield Lane. JJ Abrams is a superb storyteller and this one just sucks you in. John Goodman is nuts! :)

Advertisement