Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

peteeeed wrote: »
    Floor Is Lava season 1
    Teams compete to navigate rooms flooded with lava by leaping from chairs, hanging from curtains and swinging from chandeliers. Yes, really.

I watched the trailer for that last week and it looks a bit of craic, albeit with the potential to get repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There's 11 seasons of the U.K. Version on Netflix. I haven't seen shameless in years and I used to love it. It was a shock to hear the actor behind frank Gallagher talk though.

The first 6 or 7 series were some of the best TV ever back in the day. Quality dipped after. Frank is amazing. David threfall who played frank was amazing. Also a young James Mcevoy shone and it was clear he was headed for stardom.

The US version should be erased. Was one of the worst adaptations and is up there with US in betweenness as just shocking.

One of the Gallagher kids had a twin in Emmerdale and for years I thought it was the same actor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

joeguevara wrote: »

The US version should be erased. Was one of the worst adaptations and is up there with US in betweenness as just shocking.

It's really not. It's exactly the same as the UK version for the first few episodes, only with better actors and higher production values. Then it takes off in it's own direction and was miles better than the UK version ever was. The UK one was good for about 2 seasons, once Duff and McAvoy left it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It's really not. It's exactly the same as the UK version for the first few episodes, only with better actors and higher production values. Then it takes off in it's own direction and was miles better than the UK version ever was. The UK one was good for about 2 seasons, once Duff and McAvoy left it was awful.
    Interesting. Gave up after season 3 of the UK one, but didn't fancy the US one. Finally watched a couple of the US one, and thought it was ok. Might restart it again so, and stick with it.

Interesting. Gave up after season 3 of the UK one, but didn't fancy the US one. Finally watched a couple of the US one, and thought it was ok. Might restart it again so, and stick with it.

Obviously it's a matter of personal taste on these things, and I'm a season or so behind on the US one so maybe the quality dips eventually, but I see people slating it all the time like it's one of the really awful remakes, and it's just not.

• Advertisement

I might give it another go. I have changed my opinion before. I just didn’t think it was close to the grittiness of the UK version. Also I was much younger watching the UK one and it appealed to me. Complete disagree about only good for 2 seasons.

I might give it another go. I have changed my opinion before. I just didn’t think it was close to the grittiness of the UK version. Also I was much younger watching the UK one and it appealed to me. Complete disagree about only good for 2 seasons.

Fiona leaving killed the UK version for me. The entire structure of the show was lost and it never found a new focus. It had like 11 series though, so clearly that wasn't the case for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

I watched the UK version till the bitter end
    It defo wasn’t great for the last few seasons

I am midway through season 3 of the american one
    It’s absolutely ridiculous
    So over the top in every way
    Fiona and her boyfriend are really dislikable
    Frank is just silly

Having read that I’m not sure why I am still watching it :D
    I am tempted to just quit and rewatch the first few seasons of the UK one
    No comparison between the two for me
    Scccccattttttteeeeerrrrrrrr
    Paaarrrtttyyyyy

Not sure I can watch the same storyline for a third time though
    I might just watch one episode to see if it’s just nostalgia talking ....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The first 6 or 7 series were some of the best TV ever back in the day. Quality dipped after. Frank is amazing. David threfall who played frank was amazing. Also a young James Mcevoy shone and it was clear he was headed for stardom.

One of the Gallagher kids had a twin in Emmerdale and for years I thought it was the same actor.

They were genius TV early on. God bless Karen is all I'll say.

The maguires to me where a bit painful but not the worst.

The us versions of shameless and skins( I loved skins and watched some of the American version) should be burned.

There was a US inbetweeners ? Thankfully I missed that.

Fiona leaving killed the UK version for me. The entire structure of the show was lost and it never found a new focus. It had like 11 series though, so clearly that wasn't the case for everyone.

The first season was all about Steve and Fiona and Frank was the anti hero. However when they left he came into his own and also the other characters grew. Loved the relationship between the two brothers lip and Ian.

When the Maguires arrived they were class. Jockey was the best pub.

It was brilliant for about 6 seasons and then ran out of steam. Loved the old woman who ran the brothel. Bent over laughing. It was an incredible show which couldn’t really be made on terrestrial television today.

• Advertisement

The first season was all about Steve and Fiona and Frank was the anti hero. However when they left he came into his own and also the other characters grew. Loved the relationship between the two brothers lip and Ian.

When the Maguires arrived they were class. Jockey was the best pub.

It was brilliant for about 6 seasons and then ran out of steam. Loved the old woman who ran the brothel. Bent over laughing. It was an incredible show which couldn’t really be made on terrestrial television today.

The woman who ran the brothel was in some other show I can't place.

That one Maguire brother was a pain. He was dopey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Never watched any of the US Shameless but absolutely loved the UK original.

One scene that sticks out was, I think it might of been a opening to the episode and it was snowing very heavily outside the local pub but it zooms into to the pavement and a yellow patch appears in the snow.

Frank then rises out from snow and then the yellow patch makes sense that he had pissed himself.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Never watched any of the US Shameless but absolutely loved the UK original.

One scene that sticks out was, I think it might of been a opening to the episode and it was snowing very heavily outside the local pub but it zooms into to the pavement and a yellow patch appears in the snow.

Frank then rises out from snow and then the yellow patch makes sense that he had pissed himself.

Wasn't the first episode but early on.

The woman who ran the brothel was in some other show I can't place.

That one Maguire brother was a pain. He was dopey.

She was in Phoenix nights and Benidorm. She literally looks like a character Keith lemon would play.

Mickey Maguire was the dopey Maguire. He had to hide being gay and all his capers ended in chaos. Loved him

She was in Phoenix nights and Benidorm. She literally looks like a character Keith lemon would play.

Mickey Maguire was the dopey Maguire. He had to hide being gay and all his capers ended in chaos. Loved him

Phoenix nights that's it. Benidorm ? Was she ?

He didn't hide it very well then.

Phoenix nights that's it. Benidorm ? Was she ?

He didn't hide it very well then.

She was only a guest appearance in a hairdresser. I only know that as I was obsessed with it as my mums best friends son was best friends with the posh guy. He showed me the episode one night.

Micky dad didn’t know it and his oasis brother didn’t for ages.

Loved the guy with Tourette’s too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Only realised last night that Children of Men was added, absolutely flawless movie, could watch it every day for a week and not get tired of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bridge of spies is back up

Astral
    To connect with his deceased mother, a gifted loner taps into the supernatural realm and realizes crossing over has its consequences.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Athlete A, available June 24th.

This will be difficult viewing. Tip my hat to all the women and how they confronted Larry Nassar in court.

I saw a write up on Facebook about a horror film on Netflix that people found so scary they couldn’t sleep with the light off for days. I think it’s about a son and daughter try and bring their parents back to life after a car crash but awoke other spirits. Haven’t watched a good horror in years so would like to see what the hype is about. Does anyone know the film? Apologies if it has been mentioned before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

This will be difficult viewing. Tip my hat to all the women and how they confronted Larry Nassar in court.

Jesus I never heard anything about that!
    I turned the trailer off after 30 seconds so I don’t know too much going into it

They were genius TV early on. God bless Karen is all I'll say.

The maguires to me where a bit painful but not the worst.

The us versions of shameless and skins( I loved skins and watched some of the American version) should be burned.

There was a US inbetweeners ? Thankfully I missed that.

Missed US inbetweeners? You should by a lottery ticket immediately as obviously you are one of the luckiest people in the world.

@r line to Bus Turds. Like wtf.

https://youtu.be/GSVo5_1yPzw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I saw a write up on Facebook about a horror film on Netflix that people found so scary they couldn’t sleep with the light off for days. I think it’s about a son and daughter try and bring their parents back to life after a car crash but awoke other spirits. Haven’t watched a good horror in years so would like to see what the hype is about. Does anyone know the film? Apologies if it has been mentioned before.

Sounds like they're talking about Our House. Wouldn't think it's very scary myself. If you want a good horror movie on Netflix you'd be better off with Hereditary.

The Invitation is a very good, creepy thriller as well

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Shocking story, the HBO documenty At The Heart of Gold was pretty intense and comprehensive. Not sure I'd be able to stomach any further detail.

The court case was strange in that the judge almost reminded me of judge Judy in the outspoken and direct manner she communicated.

Sounds like they're talking about Our House. Wouldn't think it's very scary myself. If you want a good horror movie on Netflix you'd be better off with Hereditary.

Thanks so much. Really appreciate it. Always nice when someone takes the time to suggest.

Yes you are right about the name Our House. This is the article i was referring to

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/11827991/netflix-fans-scared-to-turn-off-the-lights-as-terrifying-new-horror-our-house-sees-family-terrorised-by-demons/

I saw Nightmare on Elmstreet on Netflix and was delighted. Loved it when I was younger. Halfway through the opening credits I knew something wasn’t right. But Immediately as it started I knew it must have been a remake. Gave it a while but once Freddie Appeared I had enough.

Will give hereditary and the invitation a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I thought hereditary was good up to a point. I didn't really understand the religious issues at the very end, until I read up the net afterwards as to what the ending meant. Maybe that was just me. If you're one of those who needs to know what's going on rather than be puzzled at the ending, it might be useful to have a quick google as to what a specific religious represents.
    As I say, maybe it was just me. I hadn't a clue what t he film Mother was about until I read into it. Still think Mother was pretentious rubbish.
    Hereditary was good. Had couple of intense scary moments. Not too many. Keeps you guessing as to what the hell is going on. Just felt flat at the end for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Thanks so much. Really appreciate it. Always nice when someone takes the time to suggest.

Yes you are right about the name Our House. This is the article i was referring to

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/11827991/netflix-fans-scared-to-turn-off-the-lights-as-terrifying-new-horror-our-house-sees-family-terrorised-by-demons/

I saw Nightmare on Elmstreet on Netflix and was delighted. Loved it when I was younger. Halfway through the opening credits I knew something wasn’t right. But Immediately as it started I knew it must have been a remake. Gave it a while but once Freddie Appeared I had enough.

Will give hereditary and the invitation a go.

The Invitation was interesting. Very dialogue based movie if you like that. Bit like Coherence. Lots of chats around dinner. But an interesting premise overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Shocking story, the HBO documenty At The Heart of Gold was pretty intense and comprehensive. Not sure I'd be able to stomach any further detail.

The court case was strange in that the judge almost reminded me of judge Judy in the outspoken and direct manner she communicated.
    I'll probably watch one of them, will wait to hear which one is the better of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

peteeeed wrote: »
    Bridge of spies is back up
    Added

Recommend Bridge of Spies for some classic Spielberg. Tom Hanks is great as usual but the brilliant Mark Rylance steals the film (for me at least). Would it help?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

I liked Hereditary a lot, though the ending - in the literal sense of the last few minutes - was a bit of a let down for me. It was OK premise wise, it was just handled quite oddly and while I get the attempt to have a bit of fun with it, it just felt wrong.

Same director also made Midsommar, probably my favorite movie last year, though people seem polarized on it.

The Invitation is a great solid flick too. One of those classics that's just so unsettling from the get-go and it persists even through entirely normal conversations and scenarios. Excellent use of the is it, isn't it, are they, are they not? type nail biting.

Advertisement