Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Speed Lower than it should be ?

Options
  • 19-09-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone,

Two days ago we got Eir installed in our house, the F2000 modem.

We also got installed up to the exchange that is a lot closer to us than the one we were previously connected to. We are 450feet ish away from the exchange cabinet. The engineer said we should be guaranteed speeds between 40-45 mbps.

However, when i do an internet speed test online it is giving me speeds of 11mbps download and 9 upload.

Below is information from my Eir interface.

Connection status: Showtime
    Upstream line rate: 10239 Kbits
    Downstream line rate 40960 kbits

Upstream noise safety coefficient 12.4
    Downstream noise safety coefficient: 31.4

Upstream line attenuation - 16.5
    Downstream line attenuation - 9.8

upstream output power: (-10.4)
    downstream output power 12.8

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

How and where are you testing your speeds? Are you cabled into the router directly to test? I'd recommend using FAST.com as well. Your sync is correct at 40/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Spowerz1995

iv'e tested the speeds on mutiple internet speed tests online, including fast.com, all giving me a download of speed around 11mbps?.

Does the 40/10 sync say that i should be receiving 40mbps?

Correct, 40960 is just under 41Mbps download speed, 10Mbps upload speed. Are you connected with a LAN cable from your computer / laptop directly to the router? Don't do a speed test over WiFi as it will be limited, LAN cable with no other devices connected is the only way to test your through bandwidth available.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

advertsfox wrote: »
    LAN cable with no other devices connected is the only way to test your through bandwidth available.

I agree with this.

but your speedtest like this is irrelevant really cause how oftern are no other devices gonna be connected?

no ISP can "guarantee" speeds.

11mb isn't great this day and age but not much you can do other than look to change the location of the modem or buy a booster.

I also have a PS4 which i connect to the router with Ethernet cable via Powerline adapter and am getting similar via test connection ?

• Advertisement

seems like you're getting the best you can get then,

the prequal of a line is very rarely 100% accurate which is why it's sold as " up to X mbs"

Yes i would agree with this but the engineer just put us on an exchange 450feet away from the house and he said it should guarantee 40-45 mbps. We had previously been connected to one a lot further away. Other neighbors are on 50mbps etc etc.
    is there defo not a setting or something like that might need changing?

I also have a PS4 which i connect to the router with Ethernet cable via Powerline adapter and am getting similar via test connection ?
    The PS4 speed test is not that great (too brief for accuracy in my experience) and the powerline adapters have their own overhead limitations. To fully test the speed you are getting, you need to connect directly to the router with a laptop with no wireless connection enabled, just ethernet.
    Yes i would agree with this but the engineer just put us on an exchange 450feet away from the house and he said it should guarantee 40-45 mbps. We had previously been connected to one a lot further away. Other neighbors are on 50mbps etc etc.
    is there defo not a setting or something like that might need changing?
    And he was right, you are syncing at 40Mbps but you are not testing it correctly. LAN cable to laptop, fast.com or speedtest.net with WiFi disable on device.

if you were only set up today then give it a couple of days

if you're set up a while then ring tech support on the off chance they can recommend something.

you may be 450 feet as the crow flies fromt he exchange but doesn't guarantee it's wired like that.

This issue isn't post install time, distance from exchange or needing tech support - its his testing methods. His sync is just fine so he should be up to 40MB without issue but not over powerline to PS4 speed test, not over a phone Wi-Fi connection, it must be hard wired LAN to a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    seems like you're getting the best you can get then,

the prequal of a line is very rarely 100% accurate which is why it's sold as " up to X mbs"

Wrong.
    B_ecke_r wrote: »
    if you were only set up today then give it a couple of days

if you're set up a while then ring tech support on the off chance they can recommend something.

you may be 450 feet as the crow flies fromt he exchange but doesn't guarantee it's wired like that.

Wrong.

He's provided stats, the loop length is 700m. 40_10 is conservative.

@Spowerz1995 - Google "Whats my IP" and post the result mins the last octet(EG 11.11.11.XX). Don't read it from the routers UI.

He Ed,

I googled it but don't really understand what to do or what to understand after googling it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Ed means for you to post the result here (e.g. 80.111.148.x)

Mine comes up as 2001:bb6:6799:cf58:a5db:d88b:a7f9:4fcf ?????
    That's an IPv6 address, which is fine. Have you ran a speed test with a laptop connected directly to your router with your Wi-Fi off yet?

I tested it plugging it in directly into the router and got the same results. I did not turn off the wifi

I tested it plugging it in directly into the router and got the same results. I did not turn off the wifi
    Ok more information is needed. Can you repeat the test on fast.com with WiFi off on your laptop and nothing else connected to the Eir router (not even the powerline adapters). In fact, there is an option to disable the WiFi for all devices with a button on the side of it (above the power button). Please do that, then repeat the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The IP rules out one theory.

Is this a Dell? If no Id get Eir support to reproduce you up/down one profile.

ED E wrote: »
    The IP rules out one theory.

Is this a Dell? If no Id get Eir support to reproduce you up/down one profile.

It is a MacBook book Pro that I am using

Advertisement