Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex for Rent - Raised in the Dail as issue of major concern

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Perhaps I have been naïve.

Again, I am only commenting on the case put forward in the dail but from that WhatsApp exchange, I saw very little wrong in it.

I stand by my reasoning for allowing people who are above age and consent to choose what they do with their bodies.

But I feel like we/I am talking around in circles and will bow out.

For clarity though, not once was I ever condoning sexual exploitation and was only ever comfortable with an exchange like this were both parties were consenting.

Sure you're only condoning 2 consenting adults blah blah. And in a country where wages are stagnant and rent is rising, you'll see lots more people "choosing" these arrangements because they simply can't afford to live in a house otherwise.

I wonder how you'll remember this conversation as this arrangement becomes more prevalent. I wonder if you'll remember being fine with it. TBH, I doubt you will, but Cognitive dissonance c as n take care of that problem for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    It's not explotation in the slightest.

What number of account are you now then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

circadian wrote: »
    What number of account are you now then?

You tell me . Your stalkering skills would suggest you already know the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I get the impression that some posters are delighted with this development because it means when they eventually inherit Mammy's house they might actually convince someone to have sex with them.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I get the impression that some posters are delighted with this development because it means when they eventually inherit Mammy's house they might actually convince someone to have sex with them.

Is that what your dad did ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    You tell me . Your stalkering skills would suggest you already know the answer

Thanks for confirming the re-reg.

circadian wrote: »
    Thanks for confirming the re-reg.

I didn't confirm anything it could be 10 or it.could be 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

It's not just women. Men also end up in these, blowjobs for rent, situations too. As a heterosexual man, I would have to be in a really really bad situation to start doing blowjobs for money (rent money in this case). But still everyone seems to pretend that only women who actively love to suck some dick, are the ones who say "yes" to these proposals.

It's clear as day that the only people who agree to this is because they're under serious financial pressure. The landlord is hoping to use that pressure as leverage to get the person to have sex with them. Maybe some men and women will give out blowjobs at the drop of a hat, to people they're not attracted to, but the majority would hate it.

You can dress it up any way you like. It's exactly what it looks like.

Maybe the landlord is under serious inability to attract a partner pressure.

Tough sht for him?

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

20Wheel wrote: »

Tough sht for him?

Yup.

Yup.

and so he adopts this behavior.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Anyone who thinks a reasonable response to a lack of dates is to blackmail vunerable people into sleeping with them is not a victim, they are a predator.

Only if he's a scumbag. Which is probably why he can't attract a partner in the first place.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks a reasonable response to a lack of dates is to blackmail vunerable people into sleeping with them is not a victim, they are a predator.
    Only if he's a scumbag. Which is probably why he can't attract a partner in the first place.

ok so hes a predator and a scumbag.

100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It really crystalises the diverging morals and values between older and younger millenials.

These types of threads attract wannabe edgelords - I wouldn't pay too much heed - these people don't act like this in real life.

Tough sht for him?

Kinda, yeah. A regulated sex Industry would be one solution. Exploiting vulnerable young men and women on the fly, is not a good solution for anyone - except, in fairness, the landlord.

But if we're talking about someone who can't get the ride except through exploitation, then we're a long way from the idea some posters would pretend is the case. That's where yhe landlord is so charming and handsome and the tenant is delighted to have sex with them so it's win-win.

100% accurate.

so what are the people who decide to take up the offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

You're catching on.

What do you think they are?

Would you have sex with a male landlord in order to prevent yourself from becoming homeless?

Kinda, yeah. A regulated sex Industry would be one solution. Exploiting vulnerable young men and women on the fly, is not a good solution for anyone - except, in fairness, the landlord.

But if we're talking about someone who can't get the ride except through exploitation, then we're a long way from the idea some posters would pretend is the case. That's where yhe landlord is so charming and handsome and the tenant is delighted to have sex with them so it's win-win.

But if society outlaws prostitution, and stigmatizes the purchase of sex* and says 'tough sht' to the guy who can't satisfy his body's natural responses then what can be expected.

Step into his shoes for one second. Although I doubt a woman could ever fully understand what that must be like.

*for direct payment, rather than the socially acceptable inferred/payment in kind.

• Advertisement

What do you think they are?

Would you have sex with a male landlord in order to prevent yourself from becoming homeless?

ill answer if you will.

But if society outlaws prostitution, and stigmatizes the purchase of sex* and says 'tough sht' to the guy who can't satisfy his body's natural responses then what can be expected.

Step into his shoes for one second. Although I doubt a woman could ever fully understand what that must be like.

*for direct payment, rather than the socially acceptable inferred/payment in kind.

Cop on

Desperate, vulnerable, ripe for exploitation. Take tour pick.

ill answer if you will.

Desperate to not be made homeless

Desperate to not be made homeless

So that makes for two desperate people.

(And the standard of 'tough sht').

I would prefer a regulated sex industry. No problem with that.

I doubt a woman could understand what that's like for a bloke. But I can imagine. If you're suggesting that it's only fair that men who can't get the ride start exploiting young men and women, then I think you'll need to explain that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

this reminded me how couple of years ago there were media stories about 10000 Irish sugar babies - cash strapped students from UCD, TCD, DIT and more enrolling on some dating site to find "means" to get through college.

was that discussed in the Dail also ? sounds more serious than this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

A YOUNG WOMAN living in Rathmines was propositioned by her landlord who told her she could stay rent-free “if we agree something”, the Dáil has heard.

Shocked and horrified! I am absolutely outraged! Never in the history of the Irish state has this sort of carry on ever occurred before.

It's like how there was a man arrested for prostitution a few months past - what is this country coming to?!

So that makes for two desperate people.

(And the standard of 'tough sht').

You are seriously equating not having a roof over your head with not being able to get laid?

• Advertisement

I would prefer a regulated sex industry. No problem with that.

I doubt a woman could understand what that's like for a bloke. But I can imagine. If you're suggesting that it's only fair that men who can't get the ride start exploiting young men and women, then I think you'll need to explain that position.

No, I dont need to do anything.

But I will point out the double standard of 'm'eh fck him' when it comes to the imaginary loveless landlord, and the 'omg poor young thing' standard for the young woman.

could it be somewhere deep in our psychology we want him weeded out of the species?

Advertisement