Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland & Irish People

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Irish coffee was first made in 1943 by a guy called Joe Sheridan when a pan am flight to New York had to return to Foynes (Not Shannon as stated before) he was asked to prepare hot food and drinks for the passengers and put whiskey and cream in the coffee hoping to warm them up.

When he was asked by the passengers if he had used Brazilian coffee, Sheridan replied: "No, it was Irish coffee.”
    In 1951, Stanton Delaplane, a reporter for The San Francisco Chronicle, sampled Sheridan's Irish Coffee at Foynes Airport. The reporter flew home to the US and spent a long evening at The Buena Vista Cafe in San Francisco attempting to work out the proper balance of ingredients.

Soon enough, Jack Koeppler, the owner of The Buena Vista, found himself to be the proprietor of the most prosperous saloon in the city practically overnight, thanks to Irish Coffee.

The year after, Sheridan was offered a job at The Buena Vista. Sheridan settled into San Francisco and worked at The Buena Vista for ten years.

Delaplane was later quoted in Time magazine as saying of Irish Coffee: "I can't stand the stuff anymore.”

Today, the Buena Vista serves up to 2,000 Irish coffees a day. The busiest day they’ve ever had was the Super Bowl in 1982 when the 49ers played Miami. That day, three bartenders served 109 bottles of whiskey between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. The night crew served another 104, meaning the pub served well over 6,000 drinks that day [6,177 specifically].

All because of a cold night and bad weather, all because of a storm in 1943 that forced a flight to America back to its origin at Foynes, Irish coffee became the first flavored coffee drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It struck me as unlikely that no one thought of putting alcohol into coffee before that. There are many versions from around the world, older than Irish coffee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carajillo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Pretty slim pickings so far lads.

(A brit)

:)

Ok then.

Let's spread it out to include second and third generation Irish in other countries forced to leave the motherland due to colonial oppressors.:D

Cream Crackers invented by Joseph Haughton (Dublin) before the Jacob brothers from Waterford produced them in large scale.

But Jacob's were Protestant so they don't count.

Ireland gave whiskey to the Scots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    The White House was built by slaves.

Jesus christ, you are a pain in the arse.

Ireland & Irish People, what would Paul McCartney say?

Give Ireland back to the Irish?

There are four football clubs in Argentina with Brown in their name, in honour of William Brown. Mayo man who is known as the Father of the Argentinian Navy.

You also have Jose Luis Brown (Irish relatives) who was an ever present centre back for Argentina when they won the WC 1986. He also scored the first goal in the final.

Sadly he actually passed away last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Irish were heavily involved in the US slave trade. Really excelled at it, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

we invented cheese and onion flavored crisps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

Ireland gave whiskey to the Scots.

True but we gave it back as we already had the superior whisky. (That added 'e' is reminiscent of lidl type labelling)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just to tidy up a few things.
    The architect of the White House was James Hoban from Cuffesgrange in Co. Kilkenny. He was a slave owner which may have made him less celebrated in Kilkenny.

Jonathan Swift was educated at Kilkenny College and just north of Kilkenny is an area called Swifth's Heath, which is where his uncle lived.

Another Kilkenny college past pupil is the philospher George Berkeley who originally comes from Thomastown in Co. Kilkenny.

Walt Disney's grandfather Keppel was born in Co. Kilkenny but it is now believed closer to Ballyragget than Gowran.

St. Nicholas or part of his body may be buried in Newtown Jerpoint Co. Kilkenny. I used to work at this site. It's well worth a visit.

Edmund Rice, founder of the christian brothers was from Callan Co. Kilkenny.

Lady Margaret Butler the grandmother of Anne Boleyn was from Kilkenny castle. Not the first with Kilkenny castle links as the current queen is a descendant of the duke of Ormonde.

There's a town and canton in Switzerland called St. Gallen which is named after an Irish monk.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

The architect of the White House was James Hoban from Cuffesgrange in Co. Kilkenny. He was a slave owner which may have made him less celebrated in Kilkenny.

Jonathan Swift was educated at Kilkenny College and just north of Kilkenny is an area called Swifth's Heath, which is where his uncle lived.

Another Kilkenny college past pupil is the philospher George Berkeley who originally comes from Thomastown in Co. Kilkenny.

Walt Disney's grandfather Keppel was born in Co. Kilkenny but it is now believed closer to Ballyragget than Gowran.

St. Nicholas or part of his body may be buried in Newtown Jerpoint Co. Kilkenny. I used to work at this site. It's well worth a visit.

Lady Margaret Butler the grandmother of Anne Boleyn was from Kilkenny castle. Not the first with Kilkenny castle links as the current queen is a descendant of the duke of Ormonde.

There's a town and canton in Switzerland called St. Gallen which is named after an Irish monk.

It's like one big advert for Kilkenny on TripAdvisor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

bmcc10 wrote: »
    It's like one big advert for Kilkenny on TripAdvisor

Visit Kilkenny, it's more than just a stag destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Many of the grey uniforms worn by American confederate troops were made by women in Limerick. Also many of the British army uniforms for the Crimean war. Mind you a Scotsman by the name of Tait owned the factory.

True but we gave it back as we already had the superior whisky. (That added 'e' is reminiscent of lidl type labelling)

It has always had 'e'. Nothing to do with Lidl you cheeky fecker.

Without getting into the history too much, Irish whiskey was the dominant whiskey world wide up the early 20th century but it never recovered after US prohibition and pretty much fell by the wayside.

Then the Scots jumped in and took over the market but Irish whiskey is fighting back over the past 5-10 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Portsalon wrote: »
    Ireland was the last country in Europe to ban cannibalism.
    Nobody told me !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    The White House was built by slaves.
    Cheap immigrant Labour . The more things change the more they remain the same .

James Martin from Co. Down invented the airplane ejector seat.

he didn't invent it, I don't think anyone actually gets credit for that.

Martin was co founder of Martin Baker, who are pretty much the maker of ejection seats for the western world.

Saw Aegir posted on this thread last, thought to myself 'wow, is he going to give Ireland credit for something?'. No...

• Advertisement

Per capita Ireland has the most Noble Laureates.

I have heard that a few times over the years but I would like to see the figures.

Scrap that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

blinding wrote: »
    Nobody told me !

Not to worry, you may be OK. There is a concession for residents of Leitrim, Donegal and the remoter parts of Fingal.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Saw Aegir posted on this thread last, thought to myself 'wow, is he going to give Ireland credit for something?'. No...

it is so sad that people have to take their petty little grievance across forums and spoil a good thread.

Robert Mallet, the father of Seismology, developed a lot of his theories on Killiney Beach http://coastmonkey.ie/robert-mallet-experiments-killiney-beach/

blinding wrote: »
    Nobody told me !

ignorantia juris non excusat

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Aegir wrote: »
    it is so sad that people have to take their petty little grievance across forums and spoil a good thread.

Robert Mallet, the father of Seismology, developed a lot of his theories on Killiney Beach http://coastmonkey.ie/robert-mallet-experiments-killiney-beach/

Mod

Both of you quit bickering. Here and everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The modern day design rotary steam turbine was designed by Charles Parsons (born in London to an Anglo Irish family (originally from Birr), but studied in Trinity College).

Steam turbines generate about 80% of the worlds electricity, they include coal/peat burning stations, nuclear stations, and CCGT (combined cycle using the exhaust heat from a gas turbine to generate steam).

used to work for rolls royce aerospace, they have a industrial turbine division which is NEI PARSONS LIMITED so i assume thats the same parsons , didnt know that !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Walt Disney's ancestors is buried in Carlow. Gravestone to prove it.

Visit Kilkenny, it's more than just a stag destination.

I have only been once....for a stag weekend and to wind up the hurlers. Cork had won two AI in a row at the time...:D

Walt Disney's ancestors is buried in Carlow. Gravestone to prove it.

The family wasn't originally from Kilkenny (probably Norman d'Isgny), I think Keppel's grandfather came from Galway.

One man that is from Carlow is John Tyndall who the Tyndall effect is named after. This explains why the sky is blue. He also has a peak named after him near the Matterhorn in the Swiss Alps. He was an avid climber and the Kilkenny hill walking club is named after him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement