Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everyone stop what you are doing and look over here, I have an important announcement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

RWCNT wrote: »
    Totally fine for someone to want to be referred to by they/them pronouns.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Who?

Lead singer with The Cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Lead singer with The Cure.

Eh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I refuse to refer to one person singular as they/them. They are plural pronouns. I'm a grammar nazi, so I'll be referring to 'it'.

Then, as a grammar Nazi, you'll also know they and them are also epicene personal pronouns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

The verb of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Eh....

Sam Smith. They are the lead singer of The Cure.

brandg140.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Sam Smith. They are the lead singer of The Cure.

brandg140.jpg

That's Jo Brand.

Sheeps wrote: »
    That's Jo Brand.

No, this is Jo Brand. They do all look very alike, so I can understand your confusion.

poker-writing-brand.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'll just continue to refer to Sam Smith as a wally.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

What a crock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Having studied this guy's lyrics for the last 15 seconds, I shall continue to refer to him as a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Needs clarification :

What is the preferred usage ?

They are attention seeking or They is attention seeking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

You are either male or female.

Transgender - fair enough, you are still one or the other. Caitlyn Jenner is a woman.

But to decide to be neither one? Load of bollexe.

Sam Smith sounds like he squeezed his nads in a vicegrip. Awful dirge...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wouldn't mind an elbow-waving cheese myself :):D:cool:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Does this mean they're a band now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

No, this is Jo Brand. They do all look very alike, so I can understand your confusion

I like you.

I like you.

Oooh! I felt a little tingle there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

But it makes no sense.....?

You can't just take a random word and decide its your pronoun.

Or I'll just have people start referring to me as Dark Lord Valeyard.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

But it makes no sense.....?

You can't just take a random word and decide its your pronoun.

Or I'll just have people start referring to me as Dark Lord Valeyard.

Dark Lord Valeyard isn’t a pronoun, though. It’s a proper noun. You could legally change your name to Dark Lord Valeyard, and insist people call you it. You‘d have it on your passport and everything.

The ”they” thing isn’t a random pronoun. It’s a neutral pronoun that’s already in very regular use in English.

You see a man walk into a room: He walked into the room.

You see a woman walk into a room: She walked into the room.

You see someone walk into a room (but you’re not sure if they’re male or female): They walled into the room.

The issue here isn’t so much the pronoun itself, rather the debate about whether one can be positively identified as other than “he” or “she”.

Personally, I can see a distinction between what “sex” and “gender” mean, but I haven’t fully made up my mind on the whole thing yet.

• Advertisement

Dark Lord Valeyard isn’t a pronoun, though. It’s a proper noun. You could legally change your name to Dark Lord Valeyard, and insist people call you it. You‘d have it on your passport and everything.

The ”they” thing isn’t a random pronoun. It’s a neutral pronoun that’s already in very regular use in English.

You see a man walk into a room: He walked into the room.

You see a woman walk into a room: She walked into the room.

You see someone walk into a room (but you’re not sure if they’re male or female): They walled into the room.

The issue here isn’t so much the pronoun itself, rather the debate about whether one can be other then “he” or “she”.

Personally, I can see a distinction between what “sex” and “gender” mean, but I haven’t fully made up my mind on the whole thing yet.

Usually I would use they or them for a group of people, never to describe one person of either gender. Just makes no sense.

Also,

I may go ahead and change my name.

Usually I would use they or them for a group of people, never to describe one person of either gender. Just makes no sense.

Also,

I may go ahead and change my name.

The singular they is a legitimate word in English.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

And do! We need more Dark Lords about. You’ll probably get priority seating on aeroplanes.

The best thing is, the OP is whingeing about this yet if they hadn't started this thread, nobody else in here would have known anything about Sam Smith's pronouns nor given the remotest of ****s.

The singular they is a legitimate word in English.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

And do! We need more Dark Lords about. You’ll probably get priority seating on aeroplanes.

It may be legitimate, but it just sounds wrong to use, if that makes sense. As in not a great word to use instead of he/she.

I might become a Dark Lord, like you said, more are needed, and could help the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

beejee wrote: »

39 seconds in is quite relevant today to :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

The best thing is, the OP is whingeing about this yet if they hadn't started this thread, nobody else in here would have known anything about Sam Smith's pronouns nor given the remotest of ****s.

Unless you read the papers, where it was a story. The point of this thread isn't to make fun of people who want others to refer to themselves as one gender or another, or neither. It's about the attention seeking nature of having a grand announcement for people who identify this way and let you know about it as if it were all they live for.

Also, calm down. Nobody is whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

If he or she hadn't started the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So, if Sam wants people to refer to him as they / them, why does he still refer to himself as I / Me / Myself instead of Us / We / Ourselves etc.
    Today is a good day so here goes. I’ve decided I am changing my pronouns to THEY/THEM ❤ after a lifetime of being at war with my gender I’ve decided to embrace myself for who I am, inside and out...

I’m so excited and privileged to be surrounded by people that support me in this decision but I’ve been very nervous about announcing this because I care too much about what people think but fcuk it!

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Transgender - fair enough, you are still one or the other. Caitlyn Jenner is a woman.

Man or woman? Well that really depends on whether or not you’re prepared to accept accept that Bruce is in fact a Sheila Caitlyn.

I’ll stick with the facts and call him Caitlyn if that’s what his name is these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I wish all this gender nonsense would die.

Apparently more than one in four young trans people have attempted suicide.

Advertisement