Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Looking for swimming instructor

• 12-09-2019 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27 ✭✭✭ t.singh1

Hi,

I am based in Galway and want to learn swimming. Any leads would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ canireally

Kingfisher and nrg both do classes for beginners, also the maldon in oranmore does 1 on 1 classes but they are more expensive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ GalwayGrrrrrl

Ocean fitness in the Salthill hotel used to do 1 to 1 lessons- worth asking if they still do.
    NRG fitness in the clybaun hotel also do adult lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ✭✭✭ t.singh1

Thank You. I wlll go and check out at Kingfisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ spud65

I have started looking into 1to1 swimming classes, Seems €25 is the average rate for 30min classes booked in a group 5/6 classes, most are booked out, 1 pool has a waiting list of 60 just for adults :eek: still waiting for a couple of places to get back to me. didn't bother with the kingfisher renmore, always looks soo busy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 ✭✭✭ t.singh1

Update: I joined Kingfisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭ topcat77

I'd definitely go for a group class, it's so much more fun with a group of people in the same boat as you.

I hadn't swam since school and wanted to start doing triathlons. i did a swim class in NRG (2009) just to avoid starting back and picking up bad habits. i had a ball of a time. Just make sure you practice what you learnt in the class (2 sessions minimum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,778 ✭✭✭✭ Remi Modern Cowhide

Problem is which a friend of mine encountered is that the term beginner is very loose. She never learned to swim at all and was a bit afraid of water too, went to a “beginners” swim class in her mid 20’s and half them could swim whereas she was afraid to get into water above chest height. Class veered towards those who could swim a bit, she got another fright in the water and is now even more fearful and really doesn’t want to go near water.

I think a one on one would be much better for a real beginner.

Advertisement