Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo games/consoles even more bargain alerts thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭shawki

chrislad wrote: »
    I had a few crashes on Bioshock, so make sure you manual save a bit more than normal, but loading times/graphics etc were perfect, and the controls were perfect.

The crashing happened to me too as I went between levels.

I enjoyed playing handheld but the only thing that bugged me was switching between plasmids and guns is slightly slower on the joycons than on a playstation controller. There was a few moments where I got killed on the switch version that wouldn't have happened on the PS version.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

My Internet spluttered trying for the 20 gigs so it'll be a while before I'm playing I'm gonna try download overnight

Xcom is reduced too might get that so are the Borderlands games I have them already bought before Christmas Borderlands 1 is cool in handheld still haven't downloaded the handsome collection

Look at reviews of XCom before you buy. I might be misremembering, but I thought when I looked into it that the Switch version was really slow and buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,942 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Look at reviews of XCom before you buy. I might be misremembering, but I thought when I looked into it that the Switch version was really slow and buggy

It was patched but still far from perfect I believe.

The video (@2.53) shows the performance post patch.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

SanDisk microSDXC UHS-I card for Nintendo 128GB - Nintendo licensed Product, Red, you know the one with the go-fast Mario mushroom on it, is £19.99 on Amazon, down from £40.99. It works out at just under €20 when all is said and done at checkout.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSQXAO-128G-GNCZN-microSDXC-Nintendo-Licensed/dp/B07KXQX3S3/

It was patched but still far from perfect I believe.

The video (@2.53) shows the performance post patch.

but a game like xcom is fine imo

it's not a platformer or first-person-shooter.

it's a turn-based strategy game!

it's xcom on the go and works pretty well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

XCOM does suffer a little with slow down. Mainly when it goes to load your soldiers selection screen/Or into a mission.

The thing is, it is a slow turn based game so it doesn't impact gameplay at all. And I remember the same issues when I played on PC. I think it's more an XCOM issue than Switch.

But it is huge, you get the full game, with all the DLC, so if you played it at launch, it changes the game a lot.

Then once you finish that, you can restart it again with the War of the Chosen expansion. Which again totally refreshes the game. So you get two full play through s.

I'm about 80hours in and still playing.

For Bioshock, 1 is a little dated but still a great game. Plays fairly well on Switch. Bioshock 2 is butter smooth. Such a great port.

But I would say if you are playing any FPS on Switch grab the Hori split pad. Totally changed them. I struggle to aim with the joycons and end up waving the gun around. The split pads are very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭xckjoo

shawki wrote: »
    The crashing happened to me too as I went between levels.

I enjoyed playing handheld but the only thing that bugged me was switching between plasmids and guns is slightly slower on the joycons than on a playstation controller. There was a few moments where I got killed on the switch version that wouldn't have happened on the PS version.
    I'm playing it in handheld too and finding that part fine. Worst part is I generally play muted so only notice an enemy when they're already hitting me in the back :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have the old Playstation Xcom games, Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep.
    I don't need to invest in the Switch Xcom game to know I would be terrible at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

My main reason for buying these games besides the price drop is the accessibility to be able to play such games in my hand on a screen I can enjoy them on I don't care if they look or play better on a format I don't have.

they are here now available to me

Et C'est Fini

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have the old Playstation Xcom games, Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep.
    I don't need to invest in the Switch Xcom game to know I would be terrible at it!

I lost a whole summer to Terror from the Deep... great game!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I've never played them but was told before that the Mario Rabbids game was like X-Com for babies so there's hope for me yet if I take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Ah for E9 from our Russian friends I guess it's another added to the backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Rhyme wrote: »
    I've never played them but was told before that the Mario Rabbids game was like X-Com for babies so there's hope for me yet if I take the plunge.

I beat it, it's really good.

The different characters all have something that's brokenly good about them, but your only issue is you can't use them all at once. Gotta pick your favourite broken abilities.

Also there's no futzing around doing mental calculations regarding accuracy.
    If your target has no cover: 100% chance to hit
    If your target has partial cover: 50% chance to hit
    If your target has full cover: 0% chance to hit

It means you can take your turns very quickly, so you're not spending an hour per level like most turn based strategy games.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

323.jpg_large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'd never really heard of Xcom, but now I'm tempted to jump in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Even if there is a sale today, I'm not sure I'll believe it until I turn on my Switch tonight and see for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Stolen from a friend on Facebook -

Today is the day that people think before believing what they read on the internet — a skill sorely lacking on the other 364 days in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like there is a bit of an eshop sale on. Half of my wishlist from Dekudeals is discounted.

Edit: Video:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭feargantae

Crash and Sypro are reduced to €20 each which is not bad!! However for anyone planning a quick trip to Russia they're just €14 each :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

feargantae wrote: »
    Crash and Sypro are reduced to €20 each which is not bad!! However for anyone planning a quick trip to Russia they're just €14 each :pac::pac:

Tell me again how I get Russian eShop credit ?

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Tell me again how I get Russian eShop credit ?

You don't need to buy eShop credit. Just use your normal Irish card ideally something like N26 or Revolut to avoid horrible RUB->EUR fees and work away

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Since I was buying Stick Fight anyway I picked up Scott Pilgrim (33% off), Aer: Memories of Old (90% off & plays like a mix of RiMe and Feather so far) and Strike Suit Zero (70% off, haven't tried it out yet but had it on wishlist for ages).

Also noticed that Immortals Fenyx Rising is 50% off the standard edition.

Is the south African discount gone. I notice very little difference in the last few games I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Is the south African discount gone. I notice very little difference in the last few games I checked.

They kind of equalised the South Africa pricing with other EU countries a while back when they realised there were more South African Switch owners than actual people in South Africa. Pity, as you could get a decent discount off even first party titles as standard. Russia seems to be the cheapest these days. Having said that SA still has some good deals just not as good as the heady days of old

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Can I switch my SA account to mother Russia? Or better to create a 3rd account!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

mrcheez wrote: »
    Can I switch my SA account to mother Russia? Or better to create a 3rd account!

I've just switched to Russia from SA account and changed back. Once you don't have credit on your account you should be fine

Yeah, it's usually Russia now. Or Brazil. But you can't buy from Brazil with an EU card and buying eShop credit from there is very hard to come by.

Usually the best bets are Russia if the sale is EU, or buying a $50USD card for about €40 and buying from USA using a state with no VAT.

It was good while it lasted ! I did feel a bit tight. Saw Red Faction Guerilla was around €7.50 and still I wanted to see if it was cheaper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

feargantae wrote:
    Crash and Sypro are reduced to €20 each which is not bad!! However for anyone planning a quick trip to Russia they're just €14 each

And doom eternal for 25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Doom Eternal is €29.99 so is Skyrim for the dozens that don't have it yet

Advertisement